Building A New Rig For Long Term Usage

Fat4l1ty

Distinguished
May 30, 2007
Heys everybody in TG Forumz,

My Current PC is 7 years old =.=, don't laugh at me. So right now i gonna build a new rig for long term usage. Im goin to use it for Gaming, Video, Audio Encoding and all other sorts of things with it. My budget is around 3500 SGD, trying not to exceed 4000 SGD.

So, my desire hardware parts are...

CPU - Q6600 (Im waitin for July so that the price drops half! :D)
RAM - Minimum 2 GB DDR2 800, (I don't know which brand to choose, all of them looks the same, can't make up my mind. I want a decent memory with is fast, but not extreme. The price of Corsair Dominator memory shock the ^%$#^#^ out of me. =.=)
Mainboard - (Same as RAMs, but i gonna overclock a little in a few years time if necessary for more horsepower. :))
Graphic Card - EVGA 8800 GTX :)D , Warranty for this card is 10 years or Lifetime? Im still little confused over it. Either one, my choice will still be the same. Planning to SLI it in a few years time too.)
Sound Card - Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeMusic (Im using X-Fi XtremeAudio sound card right now, should i buy XtremeMusic or keep it?)
DVD-Drive - Planning to buy a decent one, not too expensive. (Any suggestions?)
Hard Disks - WD Raptor 10K RPM 74GB as System drive, WD 500GB 7200RPM 16MB Cache as Storage drive, (Not planning to RAID as i still have unclear doubts about RAID and how it works.)
Case - (Unsure which to choose, preferably a case with good airflow)
PSU - (A good solid PSU which can support 8800 GTX SLI in future)

Okay, thats it, did i left out anything?

Welcome all comments and suggestions! :D
Thanks everybody that contribute in advance!

Jdm240sx

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2006
plextor, sony, nec are one of the top dvd drives you might want to look into that

as for ram
if your on a tight budget get he g.skill ram 2x1gb if your not buy some corsair xms

wheres your case? wheres the power supply?

i personally would go crossfire ati probaly has some secret cool ninja graphic card under design :roll:

Fat4l1ty

Distinguished
May 30, 2007
plextor, sony, nec are one of the top dvd drives you might want to look into that

Ooo.. Can you name me some models?

as for ram
if your on a tight budget get he g.skill ram 2x1gb if your not buy some corsair xms

My budget is around 3500 SGD, not exceeding 4000 SGD, is the performance good?

wheres your case? wheres the power supply?

Just added in. =x

i personally would go crossfire ati probaly has some secret cool ninja graphic card under design :roll:

I prefer Nvidia =P, I had bad experiences with ATI. =/

prof_chaos

Distinguished
May 25, 2007
What exactly is the point in this? If instead of buying the highest end stuff you bought good performance but budget stuff you could update in 1 - 2 years for about the same price. For instance, you could buy a mobo that supports the penryn cpu and ddr3 ram.

Back on topic, might I suggest 3x Seagate Barracuda 320 GB - $80 each Raid them together to backup data. Also, Seagate has a 5 year warranty.

Fat4l1ty

Distinguished
May 30, 2007
What exactly is the point in this? If instead of buying the highest end stuff you bought good performance but budget stuff you could update in 1 - 2 years for about the same price.

Hmm.. I believe that Long Term could save more..

For instance, you could buy a mobo that supports the penryn cpu and ddr3 ram.

I dont think i'll need a Penryn CPU and DDR3 RAMs, i bet their price when launch will cost a bomb... O.O

Back on topic, might I suggest 3x Seagate Barracuda 320 GB - $80 each Raid them together to backup data. Also, Seagate has a 5 year warranty.

Hmm.. Yeah, but my knowledge towards RAID is like 1% >.<, Im not trying RAID for now, maybe later in the future..

bigblack

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2007
My budget is around 3500 SGD, trying not to exceed 4000 SGD.

Could you please give a figure in USD or in Euros?

CPU - Q6600 (Im waitin for July so that the price drops half! :D)
RAM - Minimum 2 GB DDR2 800, (I don't know which brand to choose, all of them looks the same, can't make up my mind. I want a decent memory with is fast, but not extreme. The price of Corsair Dominator memory shock the ^%$#^#^ out of me. =.=)
Ok for the Cpu if you wait until July. The performance of the g.skill is excellent.

Mainboard - (Same as RAMs, but i gonna overclock a little in a few years time if necessary for more horsepower. :))
Graphic Card - EVGA 8800 GTX :)D , Warranty for this card is 10 years or Lifetime? Im still little confused over it. Either one, my choice will still be the same. Planning to SLI it in a few years time too.)
Most people would suggest a mobo based on Nvidia's 650SLI or 680 chipset. While there are great mobos based on these chipsets, i am very skeptical with the whole concept of SLI. In "a few years time" will you be able to find a 8800GTX to pair it with your EVGA? Will it be worth it (since you won't get double the performance, not even close) when a new single video card will eat your SLI rig for breakfast for a few $ more?
So my suggestion for the mobo is to get a Gigabyte 965 DS3 or this with the new intel P35:
http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Products/Motherboard/Products_Overview.aspx?ProductID=2551&ModelName=GA-P35C-DS3R
and if you are gaming, get the 8800GTX now and upgrade to a new card in a few years time.
Sound Card - Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeMusic (Im using X-Fi XtremeAudio sound card right now, should i buy XtremeMusic or keep it?)
Keep it!
DVD-Drive - Planning to buy a decent one, not too expensive. (Any suggestions?)
They all break eventually! Get a Optiarch (Sony-NEC) AD-7173S or 7170S (both are SATA) and forget IDE cables as well...
Hard Disks - WD Raptor 10K RPM 74GB as System drive, WD 500GB 7200RPM 16MB Cache as Storage drive, (Not planning to RAID as i still have unclear doubts about RAID and how it works.)
Ok, but you will be wasting too much money on the Raptor. In my opinion it isn't worth it. Your call though.
Case - (Unsure which to choose, preferably a case with good airflow)
Check out my case. Plenty of space, excellent airflow, solid build. Otherwise, Antec P180 is a good, solid choice.
PSU - (A good solid PSU which can support 8800 GTX SLI in future)
Also check out my PSU, or the 550W version. Excellent, powerful and efficient units. The Corsairs are made by Seasonic and they are modular if you need the feature. The 520W model is more than enough, the 620W is for future proof.

Hmm.. I believe that Long Term could save more..

I will have to disagree. Buy now what you need to use now. Especially cpus and video cards are the most expensive parts in their prime, but 6 months later they cost half the price and they are dirt cheap a year later. You only have to build for the future when buying your mobo, case, psu and monitor and maybe even the mobo should not be bought for future proof, depending on the phase of the technology cycle you are when you decide.

Good luck!

Fat4l1ty

Distinguished
May 30, 2007
Could you please give a figure in USD or in Euros?

Around 2300 USD. :D

The performance of the g.skill is excellent.

How much do they cost?

Most people would suggest a mobo based on Nvidia's 650SLI or 680 chipset. While there are great mobos based on these chipsets, i am very skeptical with the whole concept of SLI. In "a few years time" will you be able to find a 8800GTX to pair it with your EVGA? Will it be worth it (since you won't get double the performance, not even close) when a new single video card will eat your SLI rig for breakfast for a few $ more?
So my suggestion for the mobo is to get a Gigabyte 965 DS3 or this with the new intel P35:
http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Products/Motherboard/Products_Overview.aspx?ProductID=2551&ModelName=GA-P35C-DS3R
and if you are gaming, get the 8800GTX now and upgrade to a new card in a few years time.

>.< Thats true.. Is 8800 GTX worth it? & Im more to MSI and ASUS. =x

XtremeAudio looks like a ordinary 5.1 sound card to me, nothing special about it, i really regret buying it. Any reasons for me to keep it? Im having issues with my Z-5500 speakers too. =/

They all break eventually! Get a Optiarch (Sony-NEC) AD-7173S or 7170S (both are SATA) and forget IDE cables as well...

OOoo.. Okay, I'll research about it..

Ok, but you will be wasting too much money on the Raptor. In my opinion it isn't worth it. Your call though.

Why isnt it worth it?

Check out my case. Plenty of space, excellent airflow, solid build. Otherwise, Antec P180 is a good, solid choice.

Where can i find your case? 0.o

Also check out my PSU, or the 550W version. Excellent, powerful and efficient units. The Corsairs are made by Seasonic and they are modular if you need the feature. The 520W model is more than enough, the 620W is for future proof.

Hmm.. Okay..

I will have to disagree. Buy now what you need to use now. Especially cpus and video cards are the most expensive parts in their prime, but 6 months later they cost half the price and they are dirt cheap a year later. You only have to build for the future when buying your mobo, case, psu and monitor and maybe even the mobo should not be bought for future proof, depending on the phase of the technology cycle you are when you decide.

Im in dilemma now.. :?

bigblack

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2007
First of all, where will you be buying from? There is not much sense in proposing an item if you can't find it, or if the price is different and other options are smarter.

To reply to just a couple of your questions.

Why pay more money for a 7.1 new sound card if you already have 5.1 speakers? If you are going to use all the extra features, ok, get it. Otherwise you will be spending money in the wrong place.

For your budget the 8800GTX is definitely worth it. But if you won't use it for heavy gaming now, you should buy a much cheaper 7900GS or 1950Pro and upgrade around new year, when DX10 games will be available and new video cards also. You will better evaluate what you need by then and get what you will be using from then on.

For me the Raptor isn't worth it's price because the performance difference in real life applications is not that great. Sure, if i had $3000 to build a new rig, i would put a 150 GB Raptor as my system drive, but otherwise if it doesn't give me 10% more overall performance, why pay double for 1/3 of the capacity? This is just me, anyway :)

My case model is also known as Aplus 1022-5 and is an excellent, cheaper clone of the COOLERMASTER CM STACKER (without the top fan).
It's this case but in black:
http://www.atruereview.com/cm_stacker/index.php

Ok, post the sites of the sellers and i will give you a more specific and detailed advice for your build...

Destruct0r

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2007
I just got Mushkin extreme performance DDR2 800 at 4-4-3-10 for myself, and that's now on Newegg for 144.99 with a $15 dollar mail-in rebate.

As for the Raptors, I decided it wasn't worth it to me because a) I was upgrading from ata100 and there was an improvement there already, and b) last time I looked a 160Gb Raptor was something like $1.40/Gb where my 500Gb Samsung Spinpoint was half the price at $0.25/Gb. On the other hand, I'm sure there's still performance benefits to be had from it, so in the end you have to evaluate your needs for yourself.

Fat4l1ty

Distinguished
May 30, 2007
First of all, where will you be buying from? There is not much sense in proposing an item if you can't find it, or if the price is different and other options are smarter.

To make this clear, Im from Singapore and i gonna build my pc in a shop. This is their Webby

Why pay more money for a 7.1 new sound card if you already have 5.1 speakers? If you are going to use all the extra features, ok, get it. Otherwise you will be spending money in the wrong place.

Hmm.. XtremeMusic tag at 120 USD, XtremeAudio at 77.7 USD, so the difference is around 42 USD?

For your budget the 8800GTX is definitely worth it. But if you won't use it for heavy gaming now, you should buy a much cheaper 7900GS or 1950Pro and upgrade around new year, when DX10 games will be available and new video cards also. You will better evaluate what you need by then and get what you will be using from then on.

Can those cards produce decent frames with high detail?

For me the Raptor isn't worth it's price because the performance difference in real life applications is not that great. Sure, if i had $3000 to build a new rig, i would put a 150 GB Raptor as my system drive, but otherwise if it doesn't give me 10% more overall performance, why pay double for 1/3 of the capacity? This is just me, anyway :)

Hmm.. i read their specs and benchmarks, their access time is half of 7200RPM hark disks?

Ok, post the sites of the sellers and i will give you a more specific and detailed advice for your build...

Here :D

The reason why i choose high end stuffs because im afraid of slow pcs, i tried those high end pcs in my friend's house, but i personally dont own one, i want a fast pc now. >.<

bigblack

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2007
Let's start with your basic questions.

A 7900GS or a 1950Pro are excellent cards from the previous generation of gpus. They will play decently most games at high resolutions, until the new DX10 games kick in. Nobody has seen a DX10 game yet, so we don't know how any of today's cards will be performance wise. That's why i advise you to get a cheaper card now and upgrade in six months time.

For the Raptors: of course they have higher specs and they do better in benchmarks! But half the access time does not mean double overall performance. And i mean the total performance boost it will give your applications. I don't think the main use of your pc will be to run benchmarks? The Raptor won't get you more than a 5-10% boost in some hard disc specific tasks (loading games, searching for a file, multi user database use etc). That is why it isn't worth it for the price and for most people's needs. If you have the money and want to spend it there, it's your decision, i'm just letting you know some facts since you asked.

For the sound card: You do have the Xtreme Audio and you can reuse it in your new build, right? So you would not spend 42 USD more but the full cost of the new card: 120 USD. Again, if you really have a use for its features, go on and buy it, but also think that you could get more ram or a better video card or a better monitor with that money. You know better which is more important to you but you have to decide on facts, not impulses nor marketing hype, if you want to build efficiently.

Now, for your build i would suggest:

Case: Antec P 182 black aluminium 275 SGD
http://www.xsreviews.co.uk/reviews/cases/antec-p182/
or the coolermaster of my previous post Coolermaster Stacker 830/831 348 SGD

PSU: SILVERSTONE ST75F 750W 369 SGD. It is this one: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817256009
If (and only if) the Silverstone Modular 600W+PFC your seller has for 259 SGD is actually this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817163109
then i would prefer it over the 750W because, frankly, 750W is an overkill.

MOBO: Gigabyte P35C DS3R 285 SGD, or 480 SGD paired with a E4300 boxed. Get it now and in July sell the E4300 and get a Quad core.

Memory: 2X1 GB Twin2X 6400C4 Corsair @4-4-4-12 399 SGD. If you don't plan to overclock now your fsb @ 400Mhz you don't need that ram, get the 2GB kit of Twin2X 5400C4 @4-4-4-12 for 288 SGD. You will be able to overclock with this also up to 333Mhz fsb and up to 400Mhz fsb with timings 5-5-5-15. I would definitely get the cheaper ram.

Video card: Sapfire ATI X 1950PRO 256MB 285 SGD or get the 8800GTX now and pay the premium: Asustek Extreme GF8800GTX 768 MB 919 SGD

DVD-RW: LITE ON 20X REGION FREE 75 SGD

Add any hard disc(s) you decide and you are set.

Frankly, it was difficult to compose this list because your seller:
a) does not have proper web pages with descriptions and i couldn't copy- paste or search,
b) has a very, very limited selection of memory and PSUs.

One last remark, about fast pcs. You don't always have to buy the most expensive part to have a very fast pc. The word "balance" is worth more than the words "top parts", especially when you do have a budget. If the differences are negligible but the price is double, would you get the more expensive part or the cheaper? So when you have a limited amount of money and you are looking to build the best possible pc with that, you are looking for performance per dollar and not just for the top part. That is why, sometimes, it is preferable to get a good, cheap part now and in a few months go for something better, than spend lots of money now for something that will be second or third rate in a matter of months. Almost always you end up with a much better pc for the same amount of money if you build with performance/money in mind.

Do the math, research more, maybe look for a better seller, think it over and post again with questions and decisions. I will be glad to help you if i can :D

Fat4l1ty

Distinguished
May 30, 2007
Heys BigBlack,

Thanks for your reply and time researching for me.. =D I really appreciate that. Just came back from vacation.

Okay, lets start with Graphic Cards.

A 7900GS or a 1950Pro are excellent cards from the previous generation of gpus. They will play decently most games at high resolutions, until the new DX10 games kick in. Nobody has seen a DX10 game yet, so we don't know how any of today's cards will be performance wise. That's why i advise you to get a cheaper card now and upgrade in six months time.

Hmm.. True, I researched eariler on, I think I'll take X1950 Pro 512MB (345 SGD) or X1950 XT 512MB (495 SGD). Is it alright?

For the Raptors: of course they have higher specs and they do better in benchmarks! But half the access time does not mean double overall performance. And i mean the total performance boost it will give your applications. I don't think the main use of your pc will be to run benchmarks? The Raptor won't get you more than a 5-10% boost in some hard disc specific tasks (loading games, searching for a file, multi user database use etc). That is why it isn't worth it for the price and for most people's needs. If you have the money and want to spend it there, it's your decision, i'm just letting you know some facts since you asked.

Is the performance difference really so limited? The Raptors cost 253 SGD, I thought they were cheap, so i decided to give it a try. =x

For the sound card: You do have the Xtreme Audio and you can reuse it in your new build, right? So you would not spend 42 USD more but the full cost of the new card: 120 USD. Again, if you really have a use for its features, go on and buy it, but also think that you could get more ram or a better video card or a better monitor with that money. You know better which is more important to you but you have to decide on facts, not impulses nor marketing hype, if you want to build efficiently.

I might give my sis or cousins my 7 Years old pc..

Case: Antec P 182 black aluminium 275 SGD
http://www.xsreviews.co.uk/reviews/cases/antec-p182/
or the coolermaster of my previous post Coolermaster Stacker 830/831 348 SGD

I personally love the Coolermaster Stacker 830/831 series, its real solid. But if i can choose, i would prefer a case where it is possible to view the hardwares at the side, then i will put some blink blink UV lights in my case.. xD Example, like the Thermaltake Armour? | Okay, I have 2 chassis in mind, 'Antec Nine Hundred' & 'CoolerMaster Stacker 832'. Which one should i choose?

PSU: SILVERSTONE ST75F 750W 369 SGD. It is this one: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817256009
If (and only if) the Silverstone Modular 600W+PFC your seller has for 259 SGD is actually this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817163109

Its alright, but whats with the +PFC ?

MOBO: Gigabyte P35C DS3R 285 SGD, or 480 SGD paired with a E4300 boxed. Get it now and in July sell the E4300 and get a Quad core.

Memory: 2X1 GB Twin2X 6400C4 Corsair @4-4-4-12 399 SGD. If you don't plan to overclock now your fsb @ 400Mhz you don't need that ram, get the 2GB kit of Twin2X 5400C4 @4-4-4-12 for 288 SGD. You will be able to overclock with this also up to 333Mhz fsb and up to 400Mhz fsb with timings 5-5-5-15. I would definitely get the cheaper ram.

I'll go for the cheaper RAM. =D

Video card: Sapfire ATI X 1950PRO 256MB 285 SGD or get the 8800GTX now and pay the premium: Asustek Extreme GF8800GTX 768 MB 919 SGD

Is there any noticeable performance difference between 256MB and 512MB video RAM? and is it worth it to pay for 512MB?

DVD-RW: LITE ON 20X REGION FREE 75 SGD

Any reason why this?

Frankly, it was difficult to compose this list because your seller:
a) does not have proper web pages with descriptions and i couldn't copy- paste or search,
b) has a very, very limited selection of memory and PSUs.

These are all the possible dealers i can buy from. Here =D

bigblack

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2007
It would take a year to search through all those sellers!!! Some quick answers to some of your questions for now, i will have more time later for better explaining and suggestions.

The 1950Pro 256 is perfect at this price. More vga memory (512 MB) will not give you extra speed but help you with higher resolutions. I would say that if you are going to upgrade in six months, do not over invest there.

For the PSU: 750W are too much and it costs a fortune. The +PFC one, if it is the same as the one from my link, is perfect for you at a good price too.

Get the Raptor if you still find it a good idea, it won't do you any harm. After all since you can afford it...

Same goes for your sound card. I thought you were considering to keep it...

I would go with the coolermaster 832 for its internals, solid build and ventilation.

Later for the rest!

bigblack

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2007
what's the difference between a Gigabyte P35C DS3R and a DS3P? and which one is better?

The DS3R has sockets for both DDR2 (4) and DDR3 (2). Otherwise both mobos share the same design and parts and are equally good .

Fat4l1ty

Distinguished
May 30, 2007
The 1950Pro 256 is perfect at this price. More vga memory (512 MB) will not give you extra speed but help you with higher resolutions. I would say that if you are going to upgrade in six months, do not over invest there.

So I'll need to upgrade every year..?

For the PSU: 750W are too much and it costs a fortune. The +PFC one, if it is the same as the one from my link, is perfect for you at a good price too.

I mean, what does '+PFC' means? =x

foxrocks

Distinguished
May 29, 2007

Depends how 'cutting edge' you want to stay. If you're not bothered about *maybe* not being able to play 2008/2009 games at absolute max settings then no, you won't need to upgrade every year and your proposed rig will serve you just fine for 2+ years.

I dunno what it means, it's not the impotant part of his post. All you need to worry about is that 750W isn't necessary and you'd be better off getting a good quality ~650W unit.

bigblack

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2007

PFC of course means Power factor correction and a nice link was provided two posts up. "+PFC" is the name that your seller is giving to a model of psu, not caring to give it the correct model name. I quote myself :lol:

If you are getting the 600W model, please check first if it is the same with the one from the newegg link i gave you. Check with your seller before buying!!!

akahuddy

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2006

Why isnt it worth it?

Because 2 160GB 7200PRM Drives in RAID 0 will be faster and cheaper.

bigblack

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2007

Well, as i explained in an earlier post, i think that you shouldn't buy now something from the Nvidia 8 series. You should get a very good, previous generation card like the excellent (and real bargain at this price) 1950Pro 256 and wait until there are DX10 games and the hardware is tested with them. It will also be significantly cheaper to get the 1950Pro now, squeeze every FPS out of it and then get a 8800GTX at half price (or the new king of the hill for more money) by new year's time. So it is a specific advice for your video card and not for the rest of your system, based on price/performance at this very moment. Simple maths: get a 8800GTX now and pay around 1000 SGD (without knowing if it's really good at DX10 games). Or, get the 1950Pro now, pay~250 SGD and get a 8800GTX in new year's for ~500 SGD. Which one seems better to you? I know that i would prefer the second solution, but this is just me....

So, finalize or semifinalize the parts you would like to buy and check for specific item prices throughout your available sellers. If you can't find the same item you are looking for, post here asking for advice on equivalent parts. You can be flexible with brands (not specifications!) of ram, DVD drives, hard disc, PSU, brand of a specific gpu card and maybe case. First decide on the mobo, everything else will come easily...

Fat4l1ty

Distinguished
May 30, 2007
Post a list of everything you are decided upon (with prices if possible and seller). I may be able to suggest something.

CPU : Q6600 - $400++
Mobo : ?
RAM : Corsair Twin2X-5400C4 DDR2 @ 4-4-4-12 2GB - $288
GPU : Sapphire X1950Pro 256MB - $285
Hard Disks : WD Raptor 74GB 10K RPM 16MB, WD 320GB 16MB SATA (AAKS) - $253 + $132
Chassis : CoolerMaster Stacker 832 - $368
PSU : SilverStone Modular 600W+PFC SLI - $259
DVD-Drive : (LG GSA-H62N 18x Super Multi DVD Rewriter (SATA)) - $65

All amount in SGD..

I need a board that supports Quad-Core, Dual 16x PCI-E Slots (16x + 16x in SLI mode), DDR2 533/667/800/1066, spacious enough for me to install Hyper TX cooler.. =D