QX6700 Temps too high?

Ed-B

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2006
Hello all:
I just built a new box with a QX6700, P5B Deluxe, 4 Gb Cucial Balistix 8500 Ram. Zalman 9700. 5 case fans. When running 4 Folding@home consols the temps are Tjunction 100 C. core 0 66 C, core 1 64 C, core 2 63 C, core 3 62 C. Messured by Core Temp. These seem high to me, I was planning on overclocking this chip but I don't know how hot this thing is soppose to run. Does anybody out there know? I used the zalman thermal grease instead of AS5 after reading some reviews, don't know if that was a mistake!
Thanks for any help you can offer,
Ed

graysky

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2006
Hello all:
I just built a new box with a QX6700, P5B Deluxe, 4 Gb Cucial Balistix 8500 Ram. Zalman 9700. 5 case fans. When running 4 Folding@home consols the temps are Tjunction 100 C. core 0 66 C, core 1 64 C, core 2 63 C, core 3 62 C. These seem high to me, I was planning on overclocking this chip but I don't know how hot this thing is soppose to run. Does anybody out there know? I used the zalman thermal grease instead of AS5 after reading some reviews, don't know if that was a mistake!
Thanks for any help you can offer,
Ed

What are you using to measure the temps? I hope not TAT. There are many threads out there indicating that TAT isn't a good app to do so on C2D chips. I'd recommend RMClock which works correctly on a C2D quad. Speedfan is 15 °C too cold w/ my Q6600 and P5B-Del in case you're wondering.

If your temps are accurate, they are in my opinion too high if you're running 2.67 GHz. I lapped both my HS and IHS on my q6600 which dropped by temps by 7-10 °C (see the links below for pics and results); it's running @ 9x333. You will probably see the same drop if you do the same since most C2D chips are either convex or concave.

Zalman thermal grease? I dunno about it. I have always used AS5 and have been pretty happy with it over the years.

My advice is to lap the IHS and HS. Then select an overclock you'll stay with and minimize the vcore (find the lowest vcore that 2x orthos will not report errors after 5-6 h). Mine runs stable to >6 h of 2x orthos @ 9x333 using 1.3250v (BIOS) which is less than the auto setting.

Here are some threads that may interest you relating to quads:

Lapping ultra-120 extreme
Lapping Q6600 (complete with temp results and pics)
Effect of room temp on load temps of a Q6600 @ 9x333

jonny_ftm

Distinguished
May 27, 2007
those 4 cores have nothing to do with a 2 core C2D
If you lap such an expensive CPU, you're crazy, unless you have money to throw away

Temps for a QX6700 look normal on air. I think intel raised their thermal specs up to 80ths C degrees
Maybe some one else can confirm it, or just google it, I'm quiet sure of this
In overclocking extreme, these can reach up to 80°C watercooled on agressive overclocks

graysky

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2006
those 4 cores have nothing to do with a 2 core C2D
If you lap such an expensive CPU, you're crazy, unless you have money to throw away

In my experience, it's not dangerous. I lapped my chip a total of 4 times (I was being conservative about taking material off, then checking to see that everything worked). So that was 4 times in-and-out, 4 times remounting the HS, etc. As long as you're careful about it, there shouldn't be much risk involved at all.

Just keep the water used down to a minimum (blot the sandpaper w/ a paper towel prior to lapping on each run). Keep your hand that touches the CPU dry. You can use a pre-moistened towel to clean the surface of the CPU. Etc.

kevyeoh

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2007
well... i'm using QX6700 as well...and i'm using TAT as temp reference...

at stock 2.66Ghz speed, i got about 55'C to 58'C temp...

once i overclock it to 3.2Ghz, my temp raise to about 65'C - 67'C at idle... running prime on all 4 cores will get my CPU to about 78'C-80'C, i'm using zalman cnps9500...

i think once i hit past 80'C, the CPu will throttle and speed automatically got lowered to 2.8Ghz (can't remember exact speed)....