X1900xtx + Vista32 + Catalyst Crashing Please help

nawfal

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2006
Hello all

i am completely stuck on how to fix my problem. Sorry if this seems a bit long.

Basically I have an x1900xtx and had absoloutely NO problems in xp. I then upgraded to vista, and did so with the catalyst drivers. Apparently ATI had a problem with the fan control settings, so the fan wouldnt speed up, so everytime i played for like 5 minutes, i would get marks down the screen, red lines, grey and white alternating lines. eitherway it would crash, or i would get the BSOD. Sure enough if i run atitool, it would say the fan is at 27%

Even if i set the fan to 100%, somehow, it would drop back down, even if i said overide the controls. and even if it doesnt drop down, it will still crash.

Anyways I was hoping that cataylst 7.5 would find this problem, however I have been stuck for the last 2 months, disabling ati external event, and basically playing at 2d clock speeds.

i am very close to just reinstalling xp, just to see if my card has actually been damaged by the initial rise in heat.

can anyone give any advice?

amd x2 4400 @2.7
asus a8n-e
2x1gb crucial ballistix ddr500
x1900xtx
antec 550w (or something thereabout)
750gb seagate + 2x400gb hitachis
dell 2407

Hello all

i am completely stuck on how to fix my problem. Sorry if this seems a bit long.

Basically I have an x1900xtx and had absoloutely NO problems in xp. I then upgraded to vista, and did so with the catalyst drivers. Apparently ATI had a problem with the fan control settings, so the fan wouldnt speed up, so everytime i played for like 5 minutes, i would get marks down the screen, red lines, grey and white alternating lines. eitherway it would crash, or i would get the BSOD. Sure enough if i run atitool, it would say the fan is at 27%

Even if i set the fan to 100%, somehow, it would drop back down, even if i said overide the controls. and even if it doesnt drop down, it will still crash.

Anyways I was hoping that cataylst 7.5 would find this problem, however I have been stuck for the last 2 months, disabling ati external event, and basically playing at 2d clock speeds.

i am very close to just reinstalling xp, just to see if my card has actually been damaged by the initial rise in heat.

can anyone give any advice?

amd x2 4400 @2.7
asus a8n-e
2x1gb crucial ballistix ddr500
x1900xtx
antec 550w (or something thereabout)
750gb seagate + 2x400gb hitachis
dell 2407

I use a 1900GT with a dual boot Vista 32 HP/XP Pro system. I didn't notice the card runs any different fan speeds or temperatures for that matter when booting into either OS. Simple, but I installed a PCI slot cooler similar to this and my video card temps dropped about 10c. I use Vista/XP with 7.5 Catalyst drivers without issue with my 1900GT.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835114024

DarkKnight21

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2006
No offense to the above, but you can't really compare the 1900GT to an XTX, different cooling solution, chip revision, bios, etc.

I seem to remember a similiar thing happening to me during the Vista RC stages, but never as extreme. My X1900 XTX would clock down to 2D settings in a game, and therefore the fan would stay at 27%, therefore, big heat increase. The problem was with the early ATI Driver solutions, namely ati2evxx.exe. Though I was able to fix it by simply closing that program down from task manager and running the 3D clocks via ATItool, it was long fixed by RC2.

Im at a loss as to what to suggest, try doing what I did back then though, might help. But for now, I honestly suggest either trying to reinstall Vista, or go back to XP. There really are no advantages to Vista right now, especially without a DirectX 10 solution.

nawfal

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2006
No offense to the above, but you can't really compare the 1900GT to an XTX, different cooling solution, chip revision, bios, etc.

I seem to remember a similiar thing happening to me during the Vista RC stages, but never as extreme. My X1900 XTX would clock down to 2D settings in a game, and therefore the fan would stay at 27%, therefore, big heat increase. The problem was with the early ATI Driver solutions, namely ati2evxx.exe. Though I was able to fix it by simply closing that program down from task manager and running the 3D clocks via ATItool, it was long fixed by RC2.

Im at a loss as to what to suggest, try doing what I did back then though, might help. But for now, I honestly suggest either trying to reinstall Vista, or go back to XP. There really are no advantages to Vista right now, especially without a DirectX 10 solution.

well the thing is, if i use atitool and force it to do 100% fan, it will still crash

so thats why i am worried now