switch from rear projection

Last response: in Home Theatre
January 20, 2005 1:28:15 AM

I have a pioneer 643hd5 63" rptv, love it, but want to move my home theatre
to the basement, the 63" just won't go down there, have high def sat, dvd,
thats about it

Questions

Any idea what a 3 year old 63" screen is worth

I am looking at 53" samsung or sony dlp, any issues going from rptv to dlp,
I am used to 64 points of convergence on the pioneer for adjustments, do you
need to adjust a dlp tv like you do a rptv

TIA

More about : switch rear projection

Anonymous
January 20, 2005 2:23:38 AM

that should be 64"

"Gogordo" <no.address@none.com> wrote in message
>I have a pioneer 643hd5 63" rptv, love it, but want to move my home theatre
>to the basement, the 63" just won't go down there, have high def sat, dvd,
>thats about it
>
> Questions
>
> Any idea what a 3 year old 63" screen is worth
>
> I am looking at 53" samsung or sony dlp, any issues going from rptv to
> dlp, I am used to 64 points of convergence on the pioneer for adjustments,
> do you need to adjust a dlp tv like you do a rptv
>
> TIA

Anonymous
January 20, 2005 9:54:03 AM

Look at the Hitachi and Sony before droppping the $$. Three year old
Pioneer, any where from $500 up depending on it's condition, etc.
> that should be 64"
>
> "Gogordo" <no.address@none.com> wrote in message
>>I have a pioneer 643hd5 63" rptv, love it, but want to move my home
>>theatre to the basement, the 63" just won't go down there, have high def
>>sat, dvd, thats about it
>>
>> Questions
>>
>> Any idea what a 3 year old 63" screen is worth
>>
>> I am looking at 53" samsung or sony dlp, any issues going from rptv to
>> dlp, I am used to 64 points of convergence on the pioneer for
>> adjustments, do you need to adjust a dlp tv like you do a rptv
>>
>> TIA

January 20, 2005 11:12:25 AM

On Wed, 19 Jan 2005 22:28:15 -0500, Gogordo wrote:

> I have a pioneer 643hd5 63" rptv, love it, but want to move my home theatre
> to the basement, the 63" just won't go down there, have high def sat, dvd,
> thats about it
>
> Questions
>
> Any idea what a 3 year old 63" screen is worth
>
> I am looking at 53" samsung or sony dlp, any issues going from rptv to dlp,
> I am used to 64 points of convergence on the pioneer for adjustments, do you
> need to adjust a dlp tv like you do a rptv
>
> TIA

Sony uses LCD rear projection not DLP, however from a user's standpoint
LCD and DLP rear projections are pretty much the same. Neither requires
any adjustments. Both use an expensive bulb as the light source which is
the weak point of these TVs. Both are much lighter than your old CRT
based RPTV. I have a 50" Sony. The picture is great however the bulb
burned out on me in four months. I don't know if that was a freak, it's
been four months since it was replaced and I haven't had any problems
since. I bought the extended four year warranty which includes the bulbs
and in home service and I'm glad I did. If the bulb burns out once more
I've broken even on the warranty, if it burns out more than once more (and
I expect it will) I'm ahead.
Anonymous
January 20, 2005 11:53:03 AM

The bulb should last 3-5 years for normal use. The cost of the bulb for the
Sony is about $200.

Jeff

"General Schvantzkoph" <schvantzkoph@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:p an.2005.01.20.13.12.24.593157@yahoo.com...
> On Wed, 19 Jan 2005 22:28:15 -0500, Gogordo wrote:
>
>> I have a pioneer 643hd5 63" rptv, love it, but want to move my home
>> theatre
>> to the basement, the 63" just won't go down there, have high def sat,
>> dvd,
>> thats about it
>>
>> Questions
>>
>> Any idea what a 3 year old 63" screen is worth
>>
>> I am looking at 53" samsung or sony dlp, any issues going from rptv to
>> dlp,
>> I am used to 64 points of convergence on the pioneer for adjustments, do
>> you
>> need to adjust a dlp tv like you do a rptv
>>
>> TIA
>
> Sony uses LCD rear projection not DLP, however from a user's standpoint
> LCD and DLP rear projections are pretty much the same. Neither requires
> any adjustments. Both use an expensive bulb as the light source which is
> the weak point of these TVs. Both are much lighter than your old CRT
> based RPTV. I have a 50" Sony. The picture is great however the bulb
> burned out on me in four months. I don't know if that was a freak, it's
> been four months since it was replaced and I haven't had any problems
> since. I bought the extended four year warranty which includes the bulbs
> and in home service and I'm glad I did. If the bulb burns out once more
> I've broken even on the warranty, if it burns out more than once more (and
> I expect it will) I'm ahead.

Anonymous
January 20, 2005 11:00:57 PM

Agreed Jeff, but most of the LCD/DLP manufacturers have had a slew of
problems with the original lamps, and occasionally the ballast assemblies.
Sony inclusive.
"Jeff Durham" <jdurham@outdoorlife.local> wrote in message
> The bulb should last 3-5 years for normal use. The cost of the bulb for
> the Sony is about $200.
>
> Jeff
>

> "General Schvantzkoph" <schvantzkoph@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> news:p an.2005.01.20.13.12.24.593157@yahoo.com...
>> On Wed, 19 Jan 2005 22:28:15 -0500, Gogordo wrote:
>>
>>> I have a pioneer 643hd5 63" rptv, love it, but want to move my home
>>> theatre
>>> to the basement, the 63" just won't go down there, have high def sat,
>>> dvd,
>>> thats about it
>>>
>>> Questions
>>>
>>> Any idea what a 3 year old 63" screen is worth
>>>
>>> I am looking at 53" samsung or sony dlp, any issues going from rptv to
>>> dlp,
>>> I am used to 64 points of convergence on the pioneer for adjustments, do
>>> you
>>> need to adjust a dlp tv like you do a rptv
>>>
>>> TIA
>>
>> Sony uses LCD rear projection not DLP, however from a user's standpoint
>> LCD and DLP rear projections are pretty much the same. Neither requires
>> any adjustments. Both use an expensive bulb as the light source which is
>> the weak point of these TVs. Both are much lighter than your old CRT
>> based RPTV. I have a 50" Sony. The picture is great however the bulb
>> burned out on me in four months. I don't know if that was a freak, it's
>> been four months since it was replaced and I haven't had any problems
>> since. I bought the extended four year warranty which includes the bulbs
>> and in home service and I'm glad I did. If the bulb burns out once more
>> I've broken even on the warranty, if it burns out more than once more
>> (and
>> I expect it will) I'm ahead.

Anonymous
January 22, 2005 7:47:02 PM