WHS Server/NAS System

pilikiwi

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2007
I finally get my hand on a copy of Windows Home server from Newegg today!!! After MONTHS of waiting I can finally starting to build my own server. I came acroos this when I was looking for parts,
http://www.engadget.com/2007/10/06/norco-ds-520-home-nas-is-probably-more-server-than-you-need/
it seems like a barebone but looks like if u throw in a harddrive and ram and that's about it. I'd rather have a system like that than a doll NAS drive. Any comment/suggesstion?

riser

Illustrious
Ok? What comments do you want back?

I assume this is going to handle your DNS, DHCP, users, routing, and whatnot instead of letting your Router do the work?

Again, you'll most likely be setting up a domain?

What are you looking to do with this? You have the Server software but haven't stated your intentions with it...

pilikiwi

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2007
I was going to set up a home server using some old parts but then the system norco's offering interest me. I think it's actually a barebone system with 8 SATA port on board. I like their form factor and would be streaming main video once build up. I'm wondering if i should go with the 2 gigabit ethernet or stick with my good old p4.

riser

Illustrious
If you go gigabit, you need all gigabit equipment and CAT6. Meaning, gigabit NICs on all interfaces, a gigabit switch, and cat6 cabling.

But if you're going to use WHS, are you setting up DNS, DHCP, WINS, or IIS?

Any system can act as a server for a small group. WHS has added benefits that make it a server and the way it handles requests over a workstation.