Some HDTV TVs in review...

Last response: in Home Theatre
Share
January 20, 2005 2:54:56 AM

Hi,

IM looking for an HDTV TV...
I've found these one:
Direct TV: Sony KD-34XBR960
LCD: Sharp LC-32GD4U
Plasma: Panasonic TH-42PA20U
Projection: Sony KP-46WT500

Related links:
http://reviews.cnet.com/Sony_KD_34XBR960/4505-6481_7-30...

http://reviews.cnet.com/Sharp_LC_32GD4U/4505-6482_7-310...

http://reviews.cnet.com/Panasonic_TH_42PA20U/4505-6482_...

http://reviews.cnet.com/Sony_KP_46WT500/4505-6484_7-206...

I know the size of the screens are differents.
But, from these 4 systems which one provide the better image quality?
I always read "Sharp Aquos is top of the LCD TVs" but how a Sharp LCD screen
can be compared to a direct TV or the others?

What are your comments about these products?

Thanks.

Jerome.

More about : hdtv tvs review

January 20, 2005 6:44:18 AM

On Wed, 19 Jan 2005 23:54:56 -0500, "Jéjé"
<willgart@BBBhotmailAAA.com> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>IM looking for an HDTV TV...
>I've found these one:
>Direct TV: Sony KD-34XBR960
>LCD: Sharp LC-32GD4U
>Plasma: Panasonic TH-42PA20U
>Projection: Sony KP-46WT500

>I know the size of the screens are differents.
>But, from these 4 systems which one provide the better image quality?

>What are your comments about these products?

Boils down to what you're preferences are. There's a big difference
in a 200 pound CRT and a thin LCD panel.

I kinda like the 34" CRT sets for the money, but I'd go with the HS420
or the XS955 as I think they are better bang for the buck.

I think the 34XS955 styling looks the coolest too ;)

www.avsforum.com for many many opinions.
January 20, 2005 7:34:05 PM

Somewhere around Wed, 19 Jan 2005 23:54:56 -0500, while reading
alt.tv.tech.hdtv, I think I thought I saw this post from "Jéjé"
<willgart@BBBhotmailAAA.com>:

>I know the size of the screens are differents.
>But, from these 4 systems which one provide the better image quality?
>I always read "Sharp Aquos is top of the LCD TVs" but how a Sharp LCD screen
>can be compared to a direct TV or the others?
>
>What are your comments about these products?

My opinion is that for best picture alone, direct view TV is best, then
plasma, then rear projection (dlp or crt), then LCD. But it also depends on
how bright your viewing room is - LCD maybe better in a bright room than RP.

But there are many factors other than best picture for most people, from the
little things like price, to the important things like how sexy it looks.
:-)

Marty - mjf at leftcoast-usa.com
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them...
well, I have others." - Groucho Marx
Related resources
January 20, 2005 10:17:05 PM

My room can be in a "bright mode" (windows opened; blinds opened) and "black
mode" (during night and all lights off)
(its a multi-purpose room, I have no dedicated home theater room)

With my old CRT TV, during the day I see the windows on my TV ;-)
I have no curtains, just blinds, and my blinds never completly put my room
in the dark (during the day)

Does the "mirror" effect of my old CRT TV will appear again with a Sony CRT?
(and on plasma TV?)

I have just found the Syntax Olevia LCD panel, (from another post) and this
new panel appear to provide better contrast ratio (1200:1) and better
response time (8ms).

"Marty" <this.address@is.invalid> wrote in message
> Somewhere around Wed, 19 Jan 2005 23:54:56 -0500, while reading
> alt.tv.tech.hdtv, I think I thought I saw this post from "Jéjé"
> <willgart@BBBhotmailAAA.com>:
>

>>I know the size of the screens are differents.
>>But, from these 4 systems which one provide the better image quality?
>>I always read "Sharp Aquos is top of the LCD TVs" but how a Sharp LCD
>>screen
>>can be compared to a direct TV or the others?
>>
>>What are your comments about these products?
>>
> My opinion is that for best picture alone, direct view TV is best, then
> plasma, then rear projection (dlp or crt), then LCD. But it also depends
> on
> how bright your viewing room is - LCD maybe better in a bright room than
> RP.
>
> But there are many factors other than best picture for most people, from
> the
> little things like price, to the important things like how sexy it looks.
> :-)
>
> --
> Marty - mjf at leftcoast-usa.com
> "Those are my principles, and if you don't like them...
> well, I have others." - Groucho Marx
January 21, 2005 4:55:06 AM

Somewhere around Thu, 20 Jan 2005 19:17:05 -0500, while reading
alt.tv.tech.hdtv, I think I thought I saw this post from "Jéjé"
<willgart@BBBhotmailAAA.com>:

>My room can be in a "bright mode" (windows opened; blinds opened) and "black
>mode" (during night and all lights off)
>(its a multi-purpose room, I have no dedicated home theater room)
>
>With my old CRT TV, during the day I see the windows on my TV ;-)
>I have no curtains, just blinds, and my blinds never completly put my room
>in the dark (during the day)
>
>Does the "mirror" effect of my old CRT TV will appear again with a Sony CRT?
>(and on plasma TV?)
>
>I have just found the Syntax Olevia LCD panel, (from another post) and this
>new panel appear to provide better contrast ratio (1200:1) and better
>response time (8ms).

Some screens, whether CRT, RP, or whatever, have more glare than others.
Some of the Mitsubishi RP sets have a smooth glass over the screen which
causes a lot of glare that some people complain about.

The Syntax LCD you mention sounds like it has pretty good specs. I
personally think LCD screens look pretty good, but they are too expensive
for me. If I wanted a small one, I would consider it, but then again, I'd
consider a CRT if I wanted a small set, too. I got a Samsung DLP set that
weighs 70 lbs mainly because I didn't want a heavy CRT-based set.

Marty - mjf at leftcoast-usa.com
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them...
well, I have others." - Groucho Marx
Anonymous
January 21, 2005 6:51:15 AM

Jéjé wrote:

> IM looking for an HDTV TV...
> I've found these one:
> Direct TV: Sony KD-34XBR960
> LCD: Sharp LC-32GD4U
> Plasma: Panasonic TH-42PA20U
> Projection: Sony KP-46WT500

> I know the size of the screens are differents.
> But, from these 4 systems which one provide the better image quality?

I can't evaluate the individual models, but as a general rule, an old
clunky cathode ray tube will give you by far the best picture per
dollar. If cost is no object, plasma probably wins, but only with the
better sets -- the more affordable ones have way too few physical
pixels. The Panasonic model you named is this kind of set -- one that
reduces HDTV picture down to the sharpness of a DVD at best. Any of
the other three sets will give you a sharper picture.
January 22, 2005 12:49:58 AM

do you think that new LCD models with a 1200:1 contrast and 8ms response
time can really improve the quality?

!