Combination of Wireless and Wired

dapneym

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2008
Alright, so I've run into this a few times at work, and I'm sure it's something small and stupid, but here it goes anyway.

A few people at work use laptops as their desktops, so they carry them between home and work quite often. At home they use wireless, but at work generally they'd prefer to use a wired connection. The odd thing is that usually when they get into work, their wireless likes to supersede their wired connection and for some reason the wired connection says Limited or No Connectivity until the wireless is disabled. They should be able to coexist just fine, but for some reason aren't. Any suggestions?

g-paw

Splendid
Jan 31, 2006
I'd start by disabling the wireless connection and see if that corrects the problem and then enable it when they get home. All they have to do is right click on My Network, right click on the wireless connection and disable it. Likely the problem has to do with the fact that their home security is different than what they have at work

dapneym

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2008
That's what I've been telling them to do since once their wireless was disabled, their wired connection worked just fine. I'm just trying to see if there's a way that they don't have to do anything. Like I said, I don't know if it's just something small I've missed that could help them or if they're going to have to just keep disabling and then re-enabling their wireless every time they come and go from the office.

drumr1829

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2007
Most laptops these days have a little switch on the side, try just turning this off instead and then turning back on at home...not really a big deal.