Sign in with
Your question

Why does my computer run slow at points?

Last response: in Windows XP
May 3, 2009 11:18:35 PM

Why does my computer run slow at points?

Example: It is dragin, but if I check task manager only about 4% of the CPU is being used and plenty of memory is free.

If system idle processes are at 96% or higher and the memory ain't maxed out then why is the PC running so slow?

Sometimes I can click on task manager and it will not launch until 10 seconds later.
a b } Memory
May 4, 2009 12:21:16 AM

Slow = system RAM accessing the slow hard drive to obtain the required storage point of program files nesessary to open an application (task manager, etc.) via XP's Prefetch. Vista's Superfetch makes the process of system RAM having a storage mechanism possible to access frequently used program files from RAM otherwise held on a slow hard drive. In adition Vista's Readyboost can be useful and provide faster access to files Prefetch has no way of storing other than hard drive access. Vista is much smarter at the process of making your hardware work faster and more efficiently in it's relation to the Operating system. Or as I like to put it, "that slow XP machine over there."

http://www.anandtech.com/systems/showdoc.aspx?i=2917&p=...

http://www.anandtech.com/systems/showdoc.aspx?i=2917&p=...
a b } Memory
May 4, 2009 12:26:10 AM

BTW, with XP the task manager does not show the actual amount of RAM being used at any given time. It show the 'virtual' memory usage, caled pf or something similar. Vista's task manager displays the 'actual' system RAM usage. And while we are on the subject, Vista 64 utalizes ALL of the system memeory ALL of the time. None of the installed system RAM sets idle like XP letting the RAM just set there unaddressed doing noting. Vista 64 = fast sytem.
Related resources
May 4, 2009 12:26:30 AM

Despite Vista's significantly higher minimum system requirements it still runs faster?

You got me interested but with Windows 7 coming out 4th quarter this year I think I can wait.
May 4, 2009 12:56:06 AM

badge said:
BTW, with XP the task manager does not show the actual amount of RAM being used at any given time. It show the 'virtual' memory usage, caled pf or something similar. Vista's task manager displays the 'actual' system RAM usage. And while we are on the subject, Vista 64 utalizes ALL of the system memeory ALL of the time. None of the installed system RAM sets idle like XP letting the RAM just set there unaddressed doing noting. Vista 64 = fast sytem.

WOW! That was such a quality post! That helped me out BIG TIME. I had no idea that Vista did that. THANKS!
December 9, 2009 11:48:37 AM

1. Slow PC caused by virus, malware, spyware, and worms.

2. Defragment your system to tuneup your slow computer speed.

3. Shortage of RAM will cause slow computer speed.

4. Too many icons on your desktop also will slow down your PC.

*5. Fix registry errors of your system to rescure the slow computer.

Source from: http://www.articlesbase.com/information-technology-arti...
!