CPU Voltage / Multiplier Settings

mattkowalski

Distinguished
May 28, 2007
Hey,

I've got parts for a major upgrade in the post, but am a little unfamiliar with voltage/multiplier/bus speed settings. I have coming;

Core2Duo E6600 1066Mhz FSB CPU
MSI P6N Platinum Edition Motherboard
2GB 800Mhz DDR2-6400
EVGA 8800GTS Gfx Card

Does anybody know the specific voltage, multiplier and bus speed settings I'll need for the BIOS for stock performance? I'm aware the E6600 is good for overclocking, but that's something I'll experiment with another day!

Cheers for the help

angelkiller

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2007
If you're not overclocking right now, the motherboard will set default values for you.

In other words, just put the CPU in and it will work. You don't have to manually adjust anything.

mattkowalski

Distinguished
May 28, 2007
Cool... I did wonder why I'd never needed to do it in the past with the systems I've built!

Does the same apply for memory settings?

jackluo923

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2007
I did wonder why I'd never needed to do it in the past with the systems I've

you just answered your own question. If it worked before buy sticking everything together, its going to work this time. Edited

Mondoman

Splendid
Don't worry about the (now-edited) luser. The RAM will *work* on auto settings just by plugging it in. However, recently memory manufacturers have been marketing most of their "premium" memory according to factory-sanctioned overclock settings, which won't be set automatically. You'll need to:
1) get the latency settings at DDR-800, and the *memory voltage* spec for those latency settings, from the manufacturer (normally on their website).
2) Then, in the BIOS, set the memory voltage to that spec voltage, save the BIOS changes, and reboot.
3) Then, go into the BIOS again and set the memory bus speed and latency settings.

Typically, the "auto" setting will set the RAM to something like DDR2-533 speed.

This post may help explain some of these issues:
http://forumz.tomshardware.com/hardware/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=1249881#1249881

jackluo923

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2007
sry about that... I was refering dumb and dumber to the general public. I was writing in a hurry. People get so used to asking questions that they do not want to look though books and websites for facts. Most computer manufacturer's product are aimed for general public thus they do not need to be configured in any way or else it would be too complicated for the end users.

Advice: Read the manual for everything, it will help you a lot and you'll learn something from it.

Jake_Barnes

Splendid
sry about that... I was refering dumb and dumber to the general public.
No, it was pretty clear what you meant. This is a PC help forum - not a place for cliques and snoobs. If a member wants to post a question that seems too simple to you - ignore it, if you can't help without being rude or boorish!

mattkowalski

Distinguished
May 28, 2007
Don't worry about the (now-edited) luser. The RAM will *work* on auto settings just by plugging it in....

Thanks...

They're OCZ modules, which the article labels as having more aggressive SPD settings. I'll see what the settings are when they arrive.

Mondoman

Splendid
Since online stores quite often have minor errors in their spec listings, I would only trust sources that will back up their words with money (e.g. will they pay for any damage if they get it wrong); it shouldn't be hard to find the info from the manufacturer.

jackluo923

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2007
just briefly read the manual that came with the ddr2 module. It will say the exact voltage that the module requires. It would only take you 10 seconds.