are these system temps too hot?

pepperg

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2006
just got a new mobo from evga and set it up. did the artic siver5 compound replacement on the north and southbridge, as well as on the cpu heatsink. my temps don't seem any better this time round either though--

in nvidia monitor view-- cpu 55c, system 51c, gpu 81c
in bios sytem monitor- cpu 56c, board 50c, mcp (n&sb) 65c

the temp in the room is around 80 degrees
i have the fans set to go 100% if temps over 65

this time when i did the thermal compound replacement i made sure not to move the metallic arm that connects the north and southbridge, and i spread the compound in a thin layer across both bridges. seems that those who do this job well are getting temps around 45-55c.

i didn't do any gaming, just left the computer on for a few hours.

since the temps are around what i got last time, i am hoping that my mobo doesn't die again, since last time it basically died, giving led code 21- power failure i think (HPM init), never booting to bios, and no longer powering one of the fans plugged into the mobo.

i don't see how i can improve on the thermal replacement, since i've printed out the instructions from the forums here and followed them.

basically, i am worried that my mobo might ****** out again with these temps, that hotter summer temps will be problematic, and that i will never be able to overclock down the road if these are my stocktemps.

whaddya think?

senor_bob

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2007
81C is pretty high for an 8800GTX at idle, which is what I read your post to indicate. You might not have very good ventilation in your case. That's a typical load temp for the card, not an idle temp.

The CPU temp is also high if the computer is idling - you're not running Orthos or Prime95 or anything like that, right? If that is indeed idle and not load, an E6600 should be at around 40C or so if you are using the Intel heatsink, less with an aftermarket one. Again, I would suspect poor case ventilation and that the air temperature inside your case is getting hot. Try running with the case side open and see if the temps reduce.

Also, to be sure, you're running a single GTX, not 2 GTXs in SLI? If just a single card, I would think that your PSU would easily handle that system, but it could be marginal if you are running SLI.