Sign in with
Your question

Why 2 graphics cards?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
June 2, 2007 5:16:10 PM

Hi guys, just getting back into PC gaming after MANY years away, so doing lots of lurking! Whats the advantage to having 2 graphics cards in your machine? Is it better to have one porky card, or have 2 medium-spec ones?

Cheers,
brokenHaiku

More about : graphics cards

June 2, 2007 5:20:53 PM

Always go for the best video card you can afford, never get two low/mid range cards. Not worth it.

Anyway, the advantage is at higher resolution, at least over 1600x1200, when you turn up all of the settings long with AA and AF. This allows for better framerates when one card cannot handle it.

If you do get a 8800GTX (let's say) and want to add another one, add it within two months, because waiting until next year will not help.
June 2, 2007 5:29:16 PM

Quote:
Always go for the best video card you can afford, never get two low/mid range cards. Not worth it.

Anyway, the advantage is at higher resolution, at least over 1600x1200, when you turn up all of the settings long with AA and AF. This allows for better framerates when one card cannot handle it.

If you do get a 8800GTX (let's say) and want to add another one, add it within two months, because waiting until next year will not help.

Seconded. :trophy:
Related resources
June 2, 2007 5:34:12 PM

Quote:

Cheers :)  What do you mean here though?
June 2, 2007 5:40:42 PM

He meant that next year more powerful graphics cards will come that can outperform Dual 8800GTX with the same price!
June 2, 2007 5:40:44 PM

Well, I don't recommend getting a second card "later" or "down the road".

Many people want to get a second card in a year or so from original purchase, this is a bad choice.

For example:
if you buy a 8800GTX now, and want to add a second one to SLI next year, it won't work out well. Why? Because you won't find any 8800GTXs, and a better card will be available for the same price.
June 2, 2007 5:46:29 PM

Cheers :)  OK, looks like I should just go for the best (single) card I can afford for the mo then.
!