Canuck1

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2007
I'm wondering how the AMD Socket 939 CPU and Motherboard(s) compare to the AM2 hardware. There isn't even any S939 in the charts.

I have an AMD S939 board and cpu (4200+) but was planning on building a second system for a HTPC and doing video work (encoding/transcoding/editing etc.). But, should one of the computers do the HTPC work and the other should be dedicated to the more complicated video processing? Or can one computer do it all? I think my current computer is too slow for the latter or at least, it would be more time consuming.

Can anyone advise me on that? I was considering the Intel Core 2 Duo or might even wait until prices decrease further (in July) for the new computer. It might be overkill, though? Anyway, I want a computer that is not tied up or doing heavy computer processing so I was thinking of using the current AMD for email/surfing/general computing etc. I also plan on having disk storage of multimedia stuff. Any comments?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions/advice.

jackluo923

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2007
you could consider selling your out dated machine and buy a new, more powerful one (Q6600 for 266$ after july) that can do video work and serve as a nice HTPC. This would be more cost effective than having separate machines doing separate jobs.

Mondoman

Splendid
I have an AMD S939 board and cpu (4200+) but was planning on building a second system for a HTPC and doing video work (encoding/transcoding/editing etc.). But, should one of the computers do the HTPC work and the other should be dedicated to the more complicated video processing? Or can one computer do it all? I think my current computer is too slow for the latter or at least, it would be more time consuming.
The problem is that a HTPC needs to be quiet, and thus minimizing power use (and the associated noisy fans) is important. However, encoding/transcoding etc demands maximum CPU horsepower, and thus likely more heat and noise.

A socket 939 MB and CPU can make an excellent HTPC. I picked up a used high-end socket 939 MB for around $40, an AMD 64 Sempron 3000+, and have been happy with the results. Just be sure to get a quiet, high-effeciency power supply; I happened to get a Fry's deal on a NeoHE 550 for $40 AR. Fry's currently has the very similar NeoHE 500w for $40 AR w/free shipping. (http://shop1.outpost.com/product/4733349?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG)

Get a nice Core2Duo (or maybe even quad, depending on your budget) for your processing system -- you'll be much happier than trying to make an all-in-one system that isn't quite right for each task.

jackluo923

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2007
If you're planning on getting a q6600
you could downclock it to 600mhz @ 0.8v It will make your computer very very quiet while still have enough processing power for an HTPC. When you need the processing power, just set the values back to stock and you'll have an very power PC.

Canuck1

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2007
Thanks for the suggestions! Great, so far! I doubt I could get much for my current hardware and it's the newer stuff or mid-level (AMD X2, E6300 Core 2 Duo) hardware that is able to sell, I think.

My PSU is a Seasonic 400watt variety so I am not sure if it's good enough. I might have to upgrade that part? Also, the video card inside is an ATI
X300SE so I probably have to upgrade that as well?

m25

Distinguished
May 23, 2006
If you're planning on getting a q6600
you could downclock it to 600mhz @ 0.8v It will make your computer very very quiet while still have enough processing power for an HTPC. When you need the processing power, just set the values back to stock and you'll have an very power PC.
Are you kidding; make him spend a hell of $200+ for a Core2 that will run @ only 600MHz?!!! The 65W X2 3800+ or 3600+ s run at most at 40°C, stock cooler, or even better, the new 45W single core A64s would be great for a HTPC.

Mondoman

Splendid
For the HTPC, those parts should be fine, unless there is a noise issue from the PS. The video card should be fine for a HTPC (assuming no current/major gaming on that).
For a new number cruncher, it's often best to start with the CPU, then select a MB, then graphics card, and so forth. Toward the end you can choose a PS appropriate for the rest of the system. Current CPUs and graphics cards really need +12V power; the NeoHE I mentioned is pretty good on that with 3 separate +12V rails rated at 17A each (total simultaneous +12V current is a bit less, but still pretty good).

jackluo923

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2007
What i meant is for running 600mhz q6600 when he uses as HTPC. It minimize the noise/ energy used/ and heat. When he wants power, he could bring the specs to stock and uses as a video editing/creation computer. I think that would be better than buying 2 separate machines, 1 for HTPC and 1 for Video editing. So getting a q6600 could be a all in 1 PC.

Or can one computer do it all

Thats what he need if the price and convenience suits him.

Canuck1

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2007
There are 939 cpu's in the cpu charts. You have to look at the core and memory type. There are even some 754 chips in there. All DDR1 AMD chips in the latest charts are either 754 or 939. A simple google check would probably tell you which socket it is for single core but if looking at X2's all ddr1 X2's will be 939. :wink:
You are correct! Thank you for pointing that out! I should have looked at the chart more closely. I am guessing I should check out the 'Toledo' benchmarks. Thanks. :)

m25

Distinguished
May 23, 2006
What i meant is for running 600mhz q6600 when he uses as HTPC. It minimize the noise/ energy used/ and heat. When he wants power, he could bring the specs to stock and uses as a video editing/creation computer. I think that would be better than buying 2 separate machines, 1 for HTPC and 1 for Video editing. So getting a q6600 could be a all in 1 PC.

Or can one computer do it all

Thats what he need if the price and convenience suits him.
YEs it could do, however, they are two very different ways to use the PC and a HTPC small case, can never be cooled effectively if you want to run CPU and GPU demanding apps on that PC. You can not OC, can not put a decent (big) cooler on your CPU, not much cusomizing....It's not a good Idea to merge a workstation and a HTPC :D
For the moment, I'd chose a 45W Athlon64 for a HTPC; a dual core is still too much for them. Alternatively, a PentiumM would me great for passive cooling but the desktop S479 mobos are pretty expensive. Another great thing I have heard of, is S754 Turions; they seem to work perfectly in common S754 boards.... Especially when SOME Turions have a convenient price, you can really put together a decent HTPC with some spare DDR and AGP parts you might have around.

jackluo923

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2007
PC and a HTPC small case, can never be cooled effectively if you want to run CPU and GPU demanding apps on that PC. You can not OC, can not put a decent (big) cooler on your CPU, not much cusomizing....
You're absolutely right. But if Canuck1 does not want to overclock.

On the second thought, if he wanted separate machines for PC and HTPC then he could just look for special deals on CPU. I saw an AMD ATHLON64 3800+ EE (30W TPD) for 100$ CND.
He could then get a really powerful CPU for video editing and stuff.

I'm not the shiniest apple of this bunch but here's my $.02.

Go to the AVS HomeTheatre Computer Forum. There is a wealth of information available there. Give serious thought to your own future plans, ignore our opinions and figure out where you would like to be 12-18 months from now. Here's my opinion . . .

Buy an ATSC tuner card for your current box (I prefer the FusionHDTV5 RT Gold. There is also a PCIe model. Estimated cost: $200 (I threw in a little extra $$$ for a radio shack amplified exterior omnidirectional antenna!)

I think your next investment should be twofold: (1) the software you will be using for your video work (Cost: $???); and (2) a couple of 500Gb Sata2 hard drives (Cost: $260).

The hard drives will allow you to record the HD *Transport* (TP) files, beginning your video library collection, and depending upon the sophistication of your video software, can be partitioned and used as scratch/storage disks in the future. The native TP files can be burned to DVD without any changes in format at any time. A single dual layer (DL - 8Gb) DVD will handle an hour of HD content (though I would recommend that you set your recording software to record in 4Gb blocks - it just makes it easier (and cheaper until the price of the DL's come down) in my opinion. . .

NOW (are yah still with me? :) ), I think you have two paths to follow depending upon your plans/feelings: (1) Entertainment; and (2) (a) short-term Hardware; and (b) long-term Hardware.

I'll take THE LEAST important first: Short-term hardware. I think with a BIOS update your mobo can use an Opty 170 from The Egg for $135 (possibly less - not sure if this is the 06/04 price cut price). The folks around here can have you clocking that sucka @ 2.6-3.0 GHz in no time if you so desire. This assumes that your video software will recognize multiple threads! And in actuality is the only sunk cost you will have in a year or so if/when you decide to move to a new rig because MOST IMPORTANT . .

Entertainment !!! If you are going to embrace home theatre you need something similar to a Westinghouse 42" Flat-Panel LCD HD Monitor for $900 plus tax. OH, BABY! (btw - now would be a good time to pick up that cordless keyboard/mouse). You would also need to verify that your current video can support a 1366 x 768 resolution (720p). The video card is not a deal breaker in any fashion when it comes to an HTPC. It's just not an issue at this time as long as it can support the required resolution. Also - I can't see where 1080p surpasses 720p in terms of cost/quality at this moment but folks can feel free to argue that point.

NOW you are viewing (and recording) free OTA HD content and surfing the net on your 42-inch flat panel with a current investment of $1,600-$1,700 and well-positioned for the future.

I agree that a dedicated htpc and separate video rig is a best case (if you have a lot of money) but your Opty will handle everything you need for at least another year or so - and during this period you will be diggin' on your HD splendor.

And if $2,000 is more of your **Ballpark** I would purchase a 5.1 Dolby surround sound receiver and 'pass-thru' your audio via Optical Toslink. If your current rig does not have this capability you can invest $60 or so in a nice sound card . . .

In the long-term we're all dead - but computer hardware will be more advanced (and probably less expensive). I don't see where you have a lot to gain from the investment in a new cpu/mobo (plus case, ram, HD's DVD, etc.) - that is, unless you have alot of cash to burn. Get the most out of the *Entertainment* value. And . . .

Think of the p0rn, man! . . . :p

Let us know what you decide . . .