DeCaff2006

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2007
Hello everyone. I'm brand new to the forums and I need some help please.

I'm building a new rig, and everything is going perfect so far. There is just one little thing I cannot figure out, and I figured this would be the best place to ask.

I have a Gigabyte GA-M57SLI-S4 and an Nvidia 8800GTS.

There is a 6 pin power connector on the back of the card (ok that was a no brainer) and a 4 pin, 12-volt connection on the mobo labeled PCI_E 12 volts.

My power supply can more than handle the load, so do I connect power to BOTH of these connections, or JUST the 6 pin connector on the video card?

I've read both manuals (mobo and vid card) and neither one is being very specific.

Any help is appreciated.

mishima

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2007
man, i build my rig two months ago and i connected my gts 6 pin power straight to the power supply, i never heard about connecting to the mobo!!!

DeCaff2006

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2007
Right, right, the 6 pin connector IS connected straight to the power supply, but there is also a connector on the mobo itself that, like I said, is labeled PCI_E, and it takes 12 volts according to the mobo manual.

I'm leaving it disconnected until someone says different.

mishima

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2007
ya, if i where you i would not connect it also to the mobo. But you will be fine with the 6 pin connected to the psu...

Thrust me, nothing will happen.
Take care...

DeCaff2006

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2007
you don't have to i think the 4 pin is more power for sli

... and that word is exactly the reason I question what others say.
I want to be 100% sure about what to do with that mobo connection.
It's NOT connected right now and everything seems to be fine. I haven't tried to run any games yet though.

DeCaff2006

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2007
http://america.giga-byte.com/FileList/Manual/motherboard_manual_ga-m57sli-s4_2.0_e.pdf

Page 16...

The motherboard includes a PCIE_12V power connector, which provides
extra power to the onboard PCI Express x16 slot. When installing two
graphics cards, please connect the power cable from the power supply to
this connector

Ahhhh!!! Yes, thank you! That's the answer I needed. My manual DOES NOT have that information printed. Quote from my printed manual "The PCIE_12V connector supplies extra power to the PCIE x16 slot. Connect this connector depending on your system requirements." Now come on, how friggin vague is that?

Bottom line: I'm leaving that 4 pin connector unplugged until I can get the cash for another GeForce 8800 GTS.

Thanks.

newuser007

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2007
I have an evga board, and they say to connect the power, but again, like in DeCaff2006's case, it doesn't specify why. I am still finishing the rig, and I will proably connect extra 4 pin on the board. I will post the results when I finish the build.

TRENDING THREADS