Sign in with
Your question

Scythe Mine Rev.B - Pics and temperatue data E4300

Last response: in Overclocking
June 2, 2007 6:47:17 PM

EDIT: Title changed scroll to post 11 for pictures and short review.

Old title: Thermalright Ultra-90 for E4300?

OK, I've tried searching around the web to see how the 90 compares with the 120 as far as difference in temperatures go with and without a fan. I only found reviews of the 90 itself and not on core 2 processors (which would have made a comparison a little easier by just looking and anandtech's graph when they reviewed the 120-x). I also tried searching this forum about the 90, but everything resulted in threads about the 120.

So, the question is: for $23 +shipping at newegg, is this cooler the best for its price? I'm most likely not going to push my cpu past 3GHz and it won't be anytime soon (still need to buy new mobo/ram/gpu). I need to purchase the heatsink soon because I only have 10 days left to return the thermaltake stock HSF replacement i bought for my OEM cpu (it was the cheapest HSF they had at fry's).

If there are better HSF's that are under $30 shipped, please do post it here. The cooler must be quiet, keep low temps, and fit LGA775.

Thanks in advance.
June 3, 2007 2:42:40 AM

For a 3ghz OC the 90 should be more than fine
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
June 3, 2007 3:10:44 AM

Quote:
For a 3ghz OC the 90 should be more than fine

Let's say down the line I add a 40cfm fan because I get the need for more and decide to overclock to a full 400Mhz bus with the 9x multiplier (assuming I go with a P35), how good would this hold up?

BTW, when I go to 3GHz, it would be fanless. How much of a difference would a 120 vs 90 be when both are fanless. I guess that was the actual question I wanted answered.

I'm asking this, because I would like to get the 120, but at twice the cost of the 90, is it THAT much better?

Thanks again.
June 3, 2007 3:48:06 AM

Thermalright's heatsinks - despite the fact that they come with no fan - are not really designed to be used fanless (except for the HR-01). They come without a fan so you can choose the fan you like best. The Ultra-90 and Ultra-120 perform like crap without a fan (and not much better with low speed fans).

I would not even consider the Ultr-90 in a fanless setup - particularly overclocked to any degree. If you're after a fanless solution or at least extreme quietness, your best choise is probably a Ninja. You might want to go spend some time reading reviews and forums threads over at SilentPC Review.

If you're looking for an inexpensive, but really quiet HSF to use for a 3.0 - 3.2 range overclock, you should also consider the Cooler Master Hyper Tx and Scythe Mine heatsinks (multiple links in this thread and also in this thread)
June 3, 2007 6:05:43 AM

If you want to OC don't go fanless. Check out Spanki's Silent PC link
June 3, 2007 7:04:42 AM

Let me stop you there. You will likely NEVER achieve 400x9 on a E4300. It is very rare that this happens. After hundreds of E4300 OC's, most top out at around 3.2 and with good air 3.4 (even 3.4 is rare). Most people settle in around 3-3.2 on a daily basis. The allendale core just doesn't like to go much higher, it is inferior to the Conroe core, but is also cheaper.

Also, I would never go with fanless cooling unless I was working at stock. The heat produced under load w/o air flow is almost certainly going to overwhelm most coolers. It just isn't a bright idea.

Add a S-Flex fan to your thermalright and roll on. The S-Flex is relatively expensive, but a damn good fan. Strong air flow and very quiet. My guess is you whisper louder than the fan hehe.
June 3, 2007 7:59:40 AM

Thanks for the replies.

So a better alternative for a cooler would be these two: Cooler Master Hyper Tx and Scythe Mine? Compared to the Ultra-90 with a similar fan?

I will take everyone's advise and only use the cooler fanless for the time being until i get my new mobo ect.

I thought I've read a few threads about getting the E4300 to 3.6GHz stable on air cooling. Might have read it wrong though. From what I understand, what really is the limiting factor is the motherboard because of the heat at the chipset. I'll have to read up more but from the reviews so far, the P35 boards are supposed to overclock real well.

I'm going to go ahead and research those 2 other coolers and see which I can get cheaper.

I'm leaning towards getting the Scythe HSF now. 37.12 shipped to my door. Seems pretty good. Is there any other cooler that can beat that price?

OK, I just got done pricing out the Ninja Plus and it's exactly only 9 bucks more shipped. After reading the review of the scythe mine and the ninja, the ninja kicks the mine's butt while being only 1 dB louder. Any thoughts on this?

Thanks again
June 3, 2007 8:52:30 AM

Just keep in mind that - for the most part - when you read something like that (getting E4300 to 3.6GHz stable on air):

a. this would be an exception, not the norm.

b. that exception is likely running pretty hot, with a lot of stress on the system

c. to get that kind of overclock, with that amount of heat involved, you need the one of about 2-3 top (expensive) air coolers, with fans spinning fast enough to sound like a jet is taking off in your house.

d. people who run 3.6GHz on a E4300 cpu (a 100% overclock), are mostly doing it for bragging rights and/or benchmarking... running your cpu overvolted to the level required to achieve that on a 24/7 daily basis is nuts - unless you have money to burn and don't mind burning your gear up prematurely.

...with few exceptions (setting new benchmarking records, etc), there's no reason to stress your gear like that for every day use. You'll never even notice 112fps in some game vs 98fps, for example.

So, with the above in mind, you came in here asking about the Ultra-90 (which can be found for <$20 on sale), which is towards the mid-lower end of the air-cooler spectrum. Then you said you planned to overclock and later clarified that you planned to run without a fan... :) . So, just to put that into perspective, take a look at the chart on this page...

It has all the heatsinks using the same (92mm or 120mm, as appropriate) fan on heatsinks that can have the fan replaced. You'll find the Ultra-90 in the 66C range, cooling pretty much identical to the XP-90C (it's tough finding reviews on the Ultra-90, but from the ones I've found in the past, this relationship holds up pretty good... the Ultra-90 performs almost exactly the same as the XP-90C (copper version), so when you see reviews of the XP-90C, you can think 'Ultra-90').

Anyway, note that that 66C is with the common fan set to 100% speed. If you jump down 5-6 lines below there, you'll find the Scythe Ninja and Scythe Mine numbers, with thier larger fan running at 50%... 4db quieter, 4C cooler temps. Now jump to the bottom of that chart, where you find the Ninja and Mine again, with the fan at 100% speed... still quieter than the fan on the Ultra-90, but now 7C cooler than the Ultra-90.

Anyway, the Ninja, Mine and Hyper Tx all come with pretty quiet fans and any of those should be fine for a 3.0 - 3.2 overclock, but if you really plan to push your system as far as you can go, you'll want to look at one of the heavy/expensive top-end coolers with a loud-ass fan on it :) .
June 3, 2007 9:10:37 AM

Quote:
After reading the review of the scythe mine and the ninja, the ninja kicks the mine's butt while being only 1 dB louder. Any thoughts on this?

You have to be a little bit careful on SPCR's reviews... thier primary interest is not cooling a cpu - it's silence at all costs. So, in thier comparison chart, notice tha they had the fan on the Mine dialed down to 9v instead of 12v. Also, note that they are testing on a ~70W heat-output system... the Core 2 Duo starts at about ~85W and quickly ramps up over 100W as you start overclocking and bumping up the vCore. They are also using an aftermarket 120mm fan on the Ninja, but the stock 100mm fan on the Mine. One of the nice features of the Mine is the method used to mount the fan... you can mount pretty much any 25mm thick fan in there (92mm, 100mm, 120mm, 140mm, etc).

As far as I know, the original Ninja didn't come with a fan. The Ninja Plus Rev. B has some changes to the mounting mechanism and also now includes a fan.

Anyway, that previous link (MADSHRIMP review) shows the Mine pretty much equal to the Ninja (actually cools the VRM better) when using the same fan, so my guess is that they are within 1-2 degrees of each other, instead of the ~4-5C difference in the SPCR review. I think it's a toss-up, cooling-wise and would make the decision based on price, size, weight, mounting mechanism and any other features (like the Mine fan mounting method, or easily mounting a second fan on the Ninja, if that appeals to you).
June 3, 2007 7:33:51 PM

Thank you for replying again with so much information. I know at this point it's like spoon feeding me. Again I thank you.

So after reading all that, it looks like the Mine would be the best option for me. I really have to admit, I probably won't push past 3 GHz as like what has been stated, I probably wouldn't even use it let alone have it be stable. Hitting close to the 3GHz mark is probably a nice goal I can keep. Basically, when I make my overclock test runs, I'll find a stable frequency which give a tolerable noise level at load (which is effected by heat, which in turn is effected by voltage level). I will hope it will be fine at the 3GHz mark.

I'm ready to order the Mine, the Ultra-90 would end up costing a little more due to the cost of a decent quality fan that would have to be added.

Thanks again for the informative posts. I'll be sure to come back to those sites for future references regarding those coolers. And yes, reviews for the Ultra-90 are pretty difficult to search for, which is exactly why I created this thread, I wanted to be sure I get the best for my price range, which I'm now confident I will be getting.

Anything else to add would be appreciated, but for now it looks like this thread will come to an end with success.

June 3, 2007 8:08:36 PM

I think you'll be happy with the Scythe Mine, which can be had for $28.99 from Directron. If you hadn't seen this yet, there's a recent roundup at Hexus that ranks the Mine very highly - second place overall - compared to 24 other coolers.
June 3, 2007 9:04:08 PM

Quote:
I still think you'd be happy with the Scythe Mine, which can be had for $28.99 from Directron.

I actually bought that cooler from that site after I had posted my last post above. I found that link from the first thread you posted. Again, thanks.

I'll check that review out after I post this as I'm sure it will only increase my confidence and satisfaction.

I really liked the way it was laid out with the fan sandwiched in between the fins. This made it a little more compact and light, but still very appealing. Couple those traits with the very affordable performance and quietness it delivers, I'm sold!

Thanks
June 9, 2007 12:07:36 AM

My order has finally arrived today. I was very eager to bust out the phone cam and take some pictures. The package was very light, much lighter than I had expected. I was surprised to pull out a package outfitted with Japanese writing; it actually increased my confidence about the quality of the product (at least until I found the print "made in Taiwan").

Sorry for the blurry and dark phone cam pictures.

Here is the old HSF I was using, which was pretty much a Thermaltake version of the Intel boxed fan.

Now here is the new Scythe HSF installed in my oh so familiar Antec P182 case.

Installation in my case was somewhat difficult, if not thought out before hand - A little tip, install the top left clip first since it is the most difficult to get to, at least in similar cases as to mine. Overall, it took about 5 minutes time to take out the old one, reapply the thermal compound, and slap on and secure the new HSF.

Overall, I'm very satisfied with this product. The noise level is not noticeable, although, I haven't tweaked around with the fan speed settings yet as I have no need to at this point (details below). The temperature readings, if correct, are very good; much better than the previous fan that was installed.

The temperature data is as follows:

Thermaltake HSF: 47C Idle, 58C Load - Delta 11C

Scythe Mine HSF: 34C Idle, 42C Load - Delta 8C

Those numbers are based off of the short 5 mins of testing running BF2 for the load temperatures. I used the CPU utility to take temperature readings from this site: http://cpu.rightmark.org.

I'm very happy with the $37.12 shipped I spent on this product.
June 9, 2007 3:12:38 AM

Ahh cool :) . Some of the pictures did come out a bit dark, but thanks for the update - it sounds like it's working out for you.
June 11, 2007 7:40:01 PM

Yeah that Mine is a gem .I have it on a P-4 3.4E And Asrock P4I65-G mobo.Idle 40 -43C.(amazing)Of course I have 120mm T.T. blue led smart case fan on it.very well pleased, :)  all in all. pretty quiet too,considering.
June 12, 2007 8:04:15 PM

Yes, I totally agree. I would definitely recommend this product for those looking to spend less than 40 bucks on a decent heat sink fan.
!