Can I change the color of file names?

This is an interesting problem.
In a folder I have a list of about 75 agents that I have sent book proposals
to. Over the coming weeks and months, those agents will be responding to my
inquiries. Some will want to see a few chapters (I hope) but most will
probably be sending rejection notices.

What I'd like to do is color code the actual name of the Word documents (the
75 query letters) in the explorer window so I can tell at a glance which
agencies have responded and which ones are pending. For example: The name of
the agencies rejecting my work would be in red, the ones requesting samples
would be in blue and so on.

Is this possible?

Right now I'm dragging the names into separate folders labelled: Rejects,
Requests, Pending, etc.
But this is cumbersome because I have to search in different folders to find
out he status of the different agents.
6 answers Last reply
More about change color file names

    No. You cannot change the color of the caption.

    Bobby

    "SF" <nospam@@@nospam> wrote in message
    > This is an interesting problem.
    > In a folder I have a list of about 75 agents that I have sent book
    > proposals to. Over the coming weeks and months, those agents will be
    > responding to my inquiries. Some will want to see a few chapters (I hope)
    > but most will probably be sending rejection notices.
    >
    > What I'd like to do is color code the actual name of the Word documents
    > (the 75 query letters) in the explorer window so I can tell at a glance
    > which agencies have responded and which ones are pending. For example: The
    > name of the agencies rejecting my work would be in red, the ones
    > requesting samples would be in blue and so on.
    >
    > Is this possible?
    >
    > Right now I'm dragging the names into separate folders labelled: Rejects,
    > Requests, Pending, etc.
    > But this is cumbersome because I have to search in different folders to
    > find out he status of the different agents.

    are you using an email client to do this ? namely Outlook or Outlook
    express.. If you are wanted to color code the different email that comes to
    you.. there is a way in message rules.. I'm just not sure that is what you
    are doing... are they documents or letters (emails) sorry I'm confused about
    what you need.. trying to help! Rainy

    On Tue, 31 May 2005 00:23:13 -0700, SF wrote:

    > This is an interesting problem.
    > In a folder I have a list of about 75 agents that I have sent book proposals
    > to. Over the coming weeks and months, those agents will be responding to my
    > inquiries. Some will want to see a few chapters (I hope) but most will
    > probably be sending rejection notices.
    >
    > What I'd like to do is color code the actual name of the Word documents (the
    > 75 query letters) in the explorer window so I can tell at a glance which
    > agencies have responded and which ones are pending. For example: The name of
    > the agencies rejecting my work would be in red, the ones requesting samples
    > would be in blue and so on.
    >
    > Is this possible?
    >
    > Right now I'm dragging the names into separate folders labelled: Rejects,
    > Requests, Pending, etc.
    > But this is cumbersome because I have to search in different folders to find
    > out he status of the different agents.

    There may be third party programs that do this but I don't know of any.

    What about renaming the files? Example:
    Pending-Pub1
    Reject-Pub2
    Request-Pub3

    All publisher names would be in the same folder -making it easier to locate
    the file for a single publisher. A sort on name (could even add the "view
    in groups" option) would separate them into the desired categories.

    --
    Sharon F
    MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

    SF wrote:
    > This is an interesting problem.
    > In a folder I have a list of about 75 agents that I have
    > sent book proposals to. Over the coming weeks and months,
    > those agents will be responding to my inquiries. Some will
    > want to see a few chapters (I hope) but most will probably
    > be sending rejection notices.
    > What I'd like to do is color code the actual name of the
    > Word documents (the 75 query letters) in the explorer window
    > so I can tell at a glance which agencies have responded and
    > which ones are pending. For example: The name of the
    > agencies rejecting my work would be in red, the ones
    > requesting samples would be in blue and so on.
    > Is this possible?
    >
    > Right now I'm dragging the names into separate folders
    > labelled: Rejects, Requests, Pending, etc.
    > But this is cumbersome because I have to search in different
    > folders to find out he status of the different agents.

    If you're running XP on a drive that is formatted with NTFS,
    then you can change the color of file names by compressing the
    file. Also, if you're running XP Professional edition you could
    use file encryption to implement another color change.

    First off, go to Start -> Control Panel -> Folder Options.
    Click on the View tab.
    In the Advanced Settings box, make sure there's a check mark
    next to "Show encrypted or compressed NTFS files in color".
    Click OK.
    Next, open the folder that you have these Word documents stored
    in.
    Right click a file of a publisher that's requesting samples and
    select Properites.
    Click on the Advanced tab.
    Click on "Compress contents to save disk space".
    Click OK twice.
    If you're running XP Pro, then you can use the same procedure
    on the rejections and select "Encrypt contents to secure data".
    Click OK.
    Make sure you select the option to only apply encryption to
    this file.
    Click OK twice.

    You should now see the files that are requesting samples
    displayed with blue names. The rejections will show up as
    green. The agencies you've received no replies from would still
    show up in black.

    Note: Be careful using file encryption. You don't want to
    encrypt the folder that contains those files. You should also
    only encrypt files that if they were lost it would not be that
    big of a deal. That's why I suggest encrypting the rejections.
    Personally, I'd stay away from file encryption. Instead I'd
    append a few letters to the names of the rejection files,
    something like RJfilename.doc. That way when you arrange all
    files by name you would see the rejections grouped together. To
    do this simply click on the file to hightlight it, hit the F2
    key, click on the left arrow on your keyboard to move the
    cursor to the beginning of the filename, enter RJ and hit the
    Enter key.

    Nepatsfan

    Thank you Nepatsfan!
    I don't have XP-pro, but simply making the rejects blue has helped
    immensely.
    What a great idea!
    As for the other categories, I'm going to take Sharon's advice and append
    the names. I don't expect to be overwhelmed with requests for samples so it
    will be pretty simple to change those few.

    Thanks again.

    SF wrote:
    > Thank you Nepatsfan!
    > I don't have XP-pro, but simply making the rejects blue has
    > helped immensely.
    > What a great idea!
    > As for the other categories, I'm going to take Sharon's
    > advice and append the names. I don't expect to be
    > overwhelmed with requests for samples so it will be pretty
    > simple to change those few.
    > Thanks again.

    You're welcome. Glad to hear that idea helped. Hopefully, you
    won't be seeing too much blue.

    Good luck with your book.

    Nepatsfan

Microsoft Windows XP