Memory Only Working At 667mhz Instead Of 800mhz

ItchyTrigaFinga_

Distinguished
May 31, 2007
Hi,

I read the sticky and searched and couldnt find anything before you all flame me!

Anyway, i have an Athlon 64 single core 3800+ in an AM2 mobo, the Asus M2R32-MVP crossfire 3200/ati 580x chipset. Im having problems running my memory at 800mhz. the memory is rated to run at 800mhz but when i set it to 800mhz my system wont post, its as if im tryint o overclock it or something but im not. Does the cpu only support 667? ive trie upping the memory voltage and the cpu voltage but that didnt make any difference.

Cheers

Hi,

I read the sticky and searched and couldnt find anything before you all flame me!

Anyway, i have an Athlon 64 single core 3800+ in an AM2 mobo, the Asus M2R32-MVP crossfire 3200/ati 580x chipset. Im having problems running my memory at 800mhz. the memory is rated to run at 800mhz but when i set it to 800mhz my system wont post, its as if im tryint o overclock it or something but im not. Does the cpu only support 667? ive trie upping the memory voltage and the cpu voltage but that didnt make any difference.

Cheers

Could be your memory just simply will not run at advertised speeds, you did not mention which memory you have. Are you setting the timings to mfg. specs? Sometimes by loosening the timings to say 5-5-5-15 from 4-4-4-12 will help to run memory at faster speed.

ItchyTrigaFinga_

Distinguished
May 31, 2007
Hi,

Cheers

Could be your memory just simply will not run at advertised speeds, you did not mention which memory you have. Are you setting the timings to mfg. specs? Sometimes by loosening the timings to say 5-5-5-15 from 4-4-4-12 will help to run memory at faster speed.

Well its set to auto and i think the latencys are 5-5-5-15 acording to cpu-z and thats what it says on the website i bought it from, this is also the latencys i tried putting them at in the bios but it still made no difference This is the link to what memory i bought.

http://www.microdirect.co.uk/(14773)Geil-Value-DDR2-20GB-PC6400-Dual-Channel.aspx

the other hardware i have is:
2x sapphire x1650xt's 256mb gddr3
2x 80gb maxdor diamond something sata
550watt antec neo power psu
samsung dvd-rw dl drive and a floppy drive

Well its set to auto and i think the latencys are 5-5-5-15 acording to cpu-z and thats what it says on the website i bought it from, this is also the latencys i tried putting them at in the bios but it still made no difference This is the link to what memory i bought.

http://www.microdirect.co.uk/(14773)Geil-Value-DDR2-20GB-PC6400-Dual-Channel.aspx

What does it say under CPUZ Memory tab under 'Frequency'? You are using Value RAM and your board does not have an Intel or Nvidia chipset. These factors could be the reason your RAM will not run at 800 mhz.

ItchyTrigaFinga_

Distinguished
May 31, 2007

What does it say under CPUZ Memory tab under 'Frequency'? You are using Value RAM and your board does not have an Intel or Nvidia chipset. These factors could be the reason your RAM will not run at 800 mhz.

Well i have the ati 3200 chipset which is the best they do so its equal or better than intel and nvidia's offering. In CPU-Z it says its running at 5-5-5-15 timings under 667 which is what its runnin at at the moment and it says it should run at 5-5-5-15 at 800mhz as well, which is also what is on the geil website about this ram. The board is also able to take ram speed (officialy) up to 800mhz and probably more.

Well i have the ati 3200 chipset which is the best they do so its equal or better than intel and nvidia's offering. In CPU-Z it says its running at 5-5-5-15 timings under 667 which is what its runnin at at the moment and it says it should run at 5-5-5-15 at 800mhz as well, which is also what is on the geil website about this ram. The board is also able to take ram speed (officialy) up to 800mhz and probably more.

What is the CPUZ reading under 'Memory tab'> 'Frequency'? I have an ATI chipset in one of my boards and it is the poorest performer I own.

I would suggest you set your memory speed to AUTO. Boot up and open CPUZ. Check the Memory Tab>Frequency reading? At AUTO memory setting is CPUZ Memory tab>Frequency at 333 or 400 mhz.?

Mondoman

Splendid
Well i have the ati 3200 chipset which is the best they do so its equal or better than intel and nvidia's offering.
Sadly, this isn't true. Intel makes the most solid, best-performing chipsets. nVidia's often have more/newer features, and are solid, but not quite as solid and as good-performing as Intel's. ATI definitely lags behind those two, which is why its chipsets cost less.
... it should run at 5-5-5-15 at 800mhz as well, which is also what is on the geil website about this ram. The board is also able to take ram speed (officialy) up to 800mhz and probably more.
As badge noted, "value" lines of RAM often have more stability issues when trying to run them near the edge of their capabilities (such as trying to run this RAM at DDR2-800 speed; combining "value" RAM with a third-tier chipset MB like yours increases the chances of such a problem). That said, the vendor link you provided says this RAM requires 1.8V-2.4V to work properly at DDR2-800. Such a wide range is very unusual and is likely incorrect. As mentioned in the link in my previous post, you need to find out from the manufacturer (Geil) what exact voltage and timings were used to get the DDR2-800 speed (that is, get the full spec for DDR2-800 use). Hopefully, it will be on their website, but you may have to contact their tech support for the info.
You will need to set the DIMM voltage and timing settings to the values in that spec before you can conclude the memory isn't working right on your MB.

ItchyTrigaFinga_

Distinguished
May 31, 2007
Well i have the ati 3200 chipset which is the best they do so its equal or better than intel and nvidia's offering.
Sadly, this isn't true. Intel makes the most solid, best-performing chipsets. nVidia's often have more/newer features, and are solid, but not quite as solid and as good-performing as Intel's. ATI definitely lags behind those two, which is why its chipsets cost less.
... it should run at 5-5-5-15 at 800mhz as well, which is also what is on the geil website about this ram. The board is also able to take ram speed (officialy) up to 800mhz and probably more.
As badge noted, "value" lines of RAM often have more stability issues when trying to run them near the edge of their capabilities (such as trying to run this RAM at DDR2-800 speed; combining "value" RAM with a third-tier chipset MB like yours increases the chances of such a problem). That said, the vendor link you provided says this RAM requires 1.8V-2.4V to work properly at DDR2-800. Such a wide range is very unusual and is likely incorrect. As mentioned in the link in my previous post, you need to find out from the manufacturer (Geil) what exact voltage and timings were used to get the DDR2-800 speed (that is, get the full spec for DDR2-800 use). Hopefully, it will be on their website, but you may have to contact their tech support for the info.
You will need to set the DIMM voltage and timing settings to the values in that spec before you can conclude the memory isn't working right on your MB.

I ment BEST ati does, not intel or nevidia, and it is the best ait does...isnt it? anyway, shouldnt the defaults be what geil sent it out programed to be?
so it would default and run at 800mhz with default timings shouldnt it? unless something is going screwif.

Mondoman

Splendid
..., shouldnt the defaults be what geil sent it out programed to be?
so it would default and run at 800mhz with default timings shouldnt it? ...f.
1) You don't know what "defaults" (SPD settings) Geil programmed it to.
2) There are typically multiple sets of settings (for different speeds) programmed into the SPD.
3) SPD settings have to be settings that work at the DDR2 standard 1.8V, since there is no voltage info in the standard SPD. Since manufacturers often market their RAM as running at speeds that require higher-than-standard voltage, these speeds cannot be included in the SPD and require manual voltage, timing, and speed setting in the BIOS.

Again, all this is covered in the link in my first reply on this thread -- I suggest you read that.

ItchyTrigaFinga_

Distinguished
May 31, 2007
..., shouldnt the defaults be what geil sent it out programed to be?
so it would default and run at 800mhz with default timings shouldnt it? ...f.
1) You don't know what "defaults" (SPD settings) Geil programmed it to.
2) There are typically multiple sets of settings (for different speeds) programmed into the SPD.
3) SPD settings have to be settings that work at the DDR2 standard 1.8V, since there is no voltage info in the standard SPD. Since manufacturers often market their RAM as running at speeds that require higher-than-standard voltage, these speeds cannot be included in the SPD and require manual voltage, timing, and speed setting in the BIOS.

Again, all this is covered in the link in my first reply on this thread -- I suggest you read that.

I did read it i just dont no what it means. ivegiven up anyway f it im still getting 10.6gb's of bandwidth anyway so im happy.

leexgx

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2006
when you run CPU Z what speed does it say 333mhz or 400mhz ? and does the SPD data even have data for 400mhz in cpu-z (screen shots)