weird behaviour in xp with start groups

Hi,

I am running xp pro on a HP notebook and I often find that i am unable to
use the start menu as it does not allow me to open up the other menu items
(ie with the right arrow or mouse) either in classic or the alternative
mode. Additionally I often need to reboot the machine to get the quick
launch icons to show.

Does anyone else experience this problem, and if so, is there a work around
for this? I have recently installed and removed a wireless network - but I
can't remember if this problem occurred before that installation.

I dont appear to have any virus or spyware on this machine so I am at a loss
about how to fix this.

Thanks

Doug
1 answer Last reply
More about weird behaviour start groups

    On Tue, 31 May 2005 19:34:55 +1000, Doug wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I am running xp pro on a HP notebook and I often find that i am unable to
    > use the start menu as it does not allow me to open up the other menu items
    > (ie with the right arrow or mouse) either in classic or the alternative
    > mode. Additionally I often need to reboot the machine to get the quick
    > launch icons to show.
    >
    > Does anyone else experience this problem, and if so, is there a work around
    > for this? I have recently installed and removed a wireless network - but I
    > can't remember if this problem occurred before that installation.
    >
    > I dont appear to have any virus or spyware on this machine so I am at a loss
    > about how to fix this.
    >
    > Thanks
    >

    > Doug

    Quick Launch and portions of the start menu load from your user profile.
    Those items combine with others stored under All Users to create the entire
    start menu. It is possible that your profile is slightly corrupt. Test by
    creating a new user account. Log on with the new account to see if the
    start menu and Quick Launch problems are perpetuated.

    Another possible is that a startup program is causing some kind of
    conflict. Try a clean boot start. If no problems, re-enable startup
    programs one at a time in an attempt to determine which one is at fault.

    --
    Sharon F
    MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

Windows XP