buiecasa

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2009
Bought this CPU in 05', got the extended warr. for 3 yrs.. HP tells me it ran out in 1\09. I have a HP Pavilion AMD Athilon 64. it came with Vista HP 32 bit, I bought the anytime update from Microsoft, it came with the update from HP to Ult. 32 bit, and Ult 64 bit. I upgraded to Ultimate 32 bit, the only problem is the conflict with OneCare Firewall and Windows Firewall. Now that I want to upgrade to 64 bit I have a problem, The software I upgraded is behind a partition that HP created on the Hard Drive. How do I get around the partition?

buiecasa

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2009
Microsoft is asking me were is the OS that has the PK that matches the one that is 64 bit. it is behind the partition, that has been loaded in the 32 fromat.

buiecasa

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2009
What I mean is, the hard drive has been partitioned by HP, Microsoft HP was allready on it when I bought it, I bought the anytime upgrade from MS. Every thing cool so far. When I open 'my computer' I see, for hard drives, C:\ ,D:\, D:\ is recovery for HP, it is read only, my X-tended warnty ended 1\09, HP say's there tech support can walk me through it over the phone, @ $50HR, it took 6 hrs to upgrade to MS Ult., and I'm not finished with 27 langs. I'll still try to remove the partition to run MS 64.

pat mcgroin

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2007
Have you tried windows explorer and can it see the contents of the d: partition?
I dont know how computer saavy you are but many people dont know its there.
Its usually under start|programs|accessories

Even though its read only we should still be able to extract anything on it and for that matter we should be able to turn off the read only flag.

buiecasa

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2009
Every time It seems I have no control over the install, It shows me C:\ and the other hard drives I installed, when I pick the drives to find the drivers MS is looking for, nothing. and no, from the start menu its not there either. I think I'm pretty saavy I used to build em, and load software from 6.0 up to win 2000, but I don't brag. Well you are right, I will say it, But it says it is a "Recovery", not even a directory, but it has been partitioned insid of the C:\.

buiecasa

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2009
Hey Pat quick ?,

I chang the read only, am logged on as admin. went as far as I could till I got to a point were it had a tab that said "Audit" at the top, that was through the D: side of the drive trying to see if there is a way to make it visable. I was just asking If you knew what that tab ment. Thanks.

buiecasa

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2009
Nothing yet, HP says no help, no warr. I guess I could start buggy out over at the microsoft web site and see what kind of info spills out. Thanks for the thoughts guy.

buiecasa

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2009
OK, it helks you read the fil but not remove the partition, someone elese sayed you have to do a clean install, but does microsoft have to find the product key that has allready been activated?

buiecasa

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2009
Im sorry, sometimes I type to fast. It does not allow you to make changes to the file, just to make sure the contents were not changed from atack.

tmike

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2006
First, a minor point just to reduce confusion, a disk partition is neither a "wall" nor a "divider" nor a "screen", nor is it described as if it were; for example, one doesn't "get around" a disk partition and things aren't "behind" a partition. In the case of a disk partition, partition means "segment", or "portion" - like a slice of pie (even though it isn't shaped like one). Files are ON partitions, not behind them. Larger, non-PC computers often use partitions very differently than Windows does, but for PCs every disk has at least one partition. For the boot device, that partition will be "C:". Your boot disk has two partitions - C: and D:.

If you have an upgrade version of windows on DVD that requires proof of ownership of a previous version, and you don't have windows presently installed, then recover the system using the recovery partition. Depending on which HP you have it will be F11 or some other key during boot; consult your docs. Once you have windows (32-bit) installed & running on drive C: as usual, then do the installation of the x64 version. It will see windows on C: as satisfying the previous-version requirement.

The recovery partition, D: in your case, does not contain an installed runnable copy of windows; it contains the files that are used to install windows. Do not attempt to use it as a source of drivers or anything else. You should consider that partition to be a black box. And certainly don't change its security settings.

As for auditing, that is a completely unrelated topic that I venture to say will be of no use to you.

buiecasa

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2009
Ok, it says it needs to find a previous verision of windows to install, now if there is one there and it is not finding it, then what is wrong. I guess I am not figuring it out.

buiecasa

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2009
It came in a DVD, Windows Anytime Upgrade Pack, upgrade from windows vista HP to windows Ult. /w ser. pack 2 in 32 bit. and a disk with Ultimate in 64 bit, but both with the same Product Key. I have allready upgraded to Ultimate 32 bit.

buiecasa

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2009
What I will do is take a pic of them and if you have an email, I will show you what I have,

It came with 2 disks 1 32 bit, 1 64 bit. both Upgrade

buiecasa

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2009
then I will get all the way to the process were it askes me for the drivers, and take a pic of it to show what I am seeing and then back up and send it to you once I get an email., if you are pattion

buiecasa

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2009

I dont follow, pc maker?

pat mcgroin

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2007
You need to go to HP to get the hardware drivers for your computer.
Make sure that the ones you get are for Vista 64.
If you arent sure how post the model and customer number or whatever they call it and Ill try to look for you.