Sign in with
Your question

tuniq tower with high temps

Last response: in Overclocking
June 2, 2007 9:08:59 PM

Hey all,

So I just got a lovely new Tuniq Tower to replace my Arctic Freezer Pro. I installed it, after replacing the TIM by using a plastic bag to spread a thin layer. Once I booted up, I noticed to my surprise that the temps were around 40C Idle, with the fan on full. It is hot out (around 29C), but this still seems a bit high for what was supposed to be a great cooler. My fan is pointed in the right direction. Did I just mess up on the TIM, or are there other factors to consider? Any help would be great. Thanks!

More about : tuniq tower high temps

June 3, 2007 1:23:46 AM

Sounds like a classic case of poor contact between the HS and CPU. You didn't mention what CPU you have, but I'm guessing a C2D? What TIM are you using? If it's AS5, use the line method they recommend at the url below.

Here is a shot of my q6600 installed in the MB with AS5 right before I added the HS. It shows the right amount in my opinion given a lapped HS and CPU (which is a thicker line than I used before); the red triangle I drew shows where that tag is on the CPU, remember that on quad core chips, the dies are placed in a different located relative to a dual core, see the instructions on AS5's website for more):

If you used the correct amount of TIM and applied it correctly, the base of your HS and/or the IHS on your CPU may not be totally flat. I would recommend that you lap both of them. I knocked off 10 °C from my hottest core and 7 °C from the coolest core by doing so. See the pics and results in these two thread:

q6600 lapping
u-120 ex lapped

Let us know.
June 3, 2007 1:42:26 AM

Thanks for the reply. Yes, I have a Core 2 Duo, and I am using AS5. I tried the line method Arctic Silver recommends, but I found it difficult to apply the right amount. I will try again though. As far as lapping is concerned, I just ordered a kit from easyPCkits, which shall be arriving soon. I have never lapped the CPU before, but I suppose as long as I am careful it will be ok. Also, while installing the Tuniq, I have a tendency to move it back and force to get it seated properly, ie., I cannot just mount it straight down and have the mount-holes line up ok. Anyways, thanks for the help!
Related resources
June 15, 2007 2:42:08 AM

Finally had the time to lap my sink properly. I do not know if it was the lapping or the (3rd) re-application of TIM, but my temps have dropped from 40C to 32-30C Idle/55-60 to 41C load. Excellent! Thank you for the help, I do appreciate it very much.
June 15, 2007 6:16:59 PM

Glad to hear things have cooled down for you. Lapping a HS and/or CPU has to be the biggest bang-for-your-buck mod.
June 24, 2007 2:52:03 AM

one quick question,
"40C to 32-30C Idle/55-60 to 41C load. "

what did you use to measure your temp?
I'm using the SpeedFan but do you know if it is TEMP1/2 or CORE0/1?

I'm also using Tuniq tower and I did lapping the HS and CPU but still getting CORE0/1=46C.
I do get my TEMP1/2 on Speedfan = 34C though..
so just wondering whihc temp you are refering to.

thanks
June 24, 2007 3:38:34 AM

I am using CoreTemp to monitor. I suppose I used the most confusing syntax possible, but what I meant was, and these are all and average of both cores: I had 40-45C Idle to 60C load, and went to around 32C Idle to 40C load. If you are getting higher temps on Coretemp, your ambient temps could be very high, or you could have improperly seated the heatsink. Speedfan, as far as I know, is not a very good temp. measurement, use coretemp.
June 24, 2007 11:11:52 AM

RMClock is another option. Speedfan is actually good for core temps if it detects your processor correctly; there is a chance it's too cold by 15 °C if you have a quad core. You can use a manually set offset of 15 °C to each core to fix it.

The other reason people think it's a bad monitor is because it takes its reading differently from other apps like core temp, RMClock, etc. What I mean is that it reports the data differently. RMClock for example averages readings of x ms (I dunno what x is). Speedfan does the same thing over y ms. If you compare them at any given time point, they are likely different. If you average their readings together over the exact same time points (doing this by using the data in their log files), you'll find that the average temp reported is nearly identical so long as you're looking at data for the exact same time intervals, and assuming speedfan correctly detected your processor or you corrected it in the offset.

That's a long way to say that Speedfan is just as good as RMClock. I can't use coretemp on my machine (it crashes it every time).
June 24, 2007 3:04:26 PM

I remember speed fan will show 15C cooler, like core temp beta .94.

The core temp .95 shows the same temps as TAT. If you read up on their fixes, it was due to a driver conflict.

I saw the difference on my dads E4300, so I don't think it has to do with speed fan reading the CPU correctly, but MB chipset support.

I also remember core temp freezing up the system when I ran more then 2 temp monitor apps. :lol: 
June 24, 2007 6:37:33 PM

THe 15 °C think also has to do with the temp constant Intel uses. 100 °C for a C2Q and 85 °C for a C2D. This isn't a max temp, but a constant used to get the true core temp.

[code:1:D e00561357]Core temp = c - DTS
Where c is the constant and DTS is the reading from the digital thermal sensor[/code:1:D e00561357]
July 24, 2007 6:06:32 PM

sorry to bring this thread back from the dead. but I'm having the same kind of problems. I bought a tuniq tower 120, my first after market cooler.. and i'm waiting for my q6600. But for now i tested it on my old rig AMD64 3000+. It got higher temps than the stock cooler -_-. I applied a rice size of AS5 on the cpu and sat the Tuniq Tower on it...

1. Am I supposed to move it around? I moved it in circles to spread out the AS5. is this correct?
2. I tested it without screwing the screws on, so no force was on the cpu except for the weight of the heatsink. Bad temps?
3. I couldn't aim for the screws properly without moving the heatsink around. Is this bad? Should it just be: apply TIM, plop the heatsink vertically down, screw holes?

Whats the proper method to apply an aftermarket heatsink? Please explain throughly because i read the instructions and they were bad, for a noob like me.
July 25, 2007 4:07:16 AM

anyone?
!