Windows-E Keystroke Not Working

Yesterday I tried using the shortcut (Windows/Start - E) to open Windows
Explorer and it did not work, rebooting the system does not help. I tried the
other combinations I know and they all seem to work fine (run, find, desktop)
- only the Windows-E combo is non-functional. I'm running XP Home SP2. . .

Any ideas for a fix will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

On Tue, 31 May 2005 03:45:06 -0700, kevdox wrote:

> Yesterday I tried using the shortcut (Windows/Start - E) to open Windows
> Explorer and it did not work, rebooting the system does not help. I tried the
> other combinations I know and they all seem to work fine (run, find, desktop)
> - only the Windows-E combo is non-functional. I'm running XP Home SP2. . .
>
> Any ideas for a fix will be greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks!

In XP Pro (not Home), Windows key+ combos can be turned on or off using the
group policy editor. In XP Home, a registry edit can be done manually
(http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_w.htm). The only way that I know of to
disable a single combo is with third party software. Use that program to
enable the key again.

It's also possible since only one combo does not work that there is a
defect in the keyboard. If possible, try another keyboard.

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

Thanks for the reply, - tried what you suggested but ended up going back a
week and doing a System Restore to fix the problem. Must have had something
to do with something I installed messing up the registry (I'd installed a
couple of shareware programs over the weekend - though uninstalls didn't
seem to help).

Thanks again!

On Wed, 1 Jun 2005 05:00:08 -0700, kevdox wrote:

> Thanks for the reply, - tried what you suggested but ended up going back a
> week and doing a System Restore to fix the problem. Must have had something
> to do with something I installed messing up the registry (I'd installed a
> couple of shareware programs over the weekend - though uninstalls didn't
> seem to help).
>
> Thanks again!

You're welcome! Getting a problem fixed by "rolling back" is not as
satisfying as finding out the exact cause but at least it's working again.

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User