My DVD writer/CD ROM and Drive are AWOL! Help!

wiiz

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2007
Hi all,

I don't know anything about registries, or DOS or anything, so please talk in baby talk to me!

I have a HP Pavilion A350n. I did a system restore a week or so ago, and today when i went to play a DVD, there was no response from the DVD drive except to accept my DVD. when I went into the system/hardware/device manager thing, there were black exclamation marks on yellow circles, and both the DVD Driver/Writer and CD driver/ROM said "Windows cannot initialize the device driver for this hardware. (Code 37)"

I've looked all over the internet, windows, and HP and found suggestions like 'change the registry', do the troubleshooter (which I did but had no result) but I don't know what's going on. I've had this computer for a couple years, and don't think I can live without the DVD/CD writer thingy. Is there ANYthing I can do to get this back?

Pleeze help me. Thanks.

jeremyrailton

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2006
I had this same problem on an office computer that people did a lot of uninstalling on. I restored it to a point when everyone knew it was working, and it was back up and running. do another system restore to an earlier point and see if that works.

croc

Distinguished
BANNED
Sep 14, 2005
Re-install the drivers for the drives. Your PC should have a driver disk that came with it. If not, go to HP's website and download the drivers.

wiiz

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2007
My bad. I did a system recovery, not a restore (my computer wouldn't restore to an earlier point, I don't know why.) I tried to uninstall and reinstall, but it still doesn't work.