Severe unintentional underclocking problem (need help)

yellowjacket

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2006
Hi, I just built a computer a few weeks ago and have had no problems with it. I just purchased an aftermarket heatsink to do some overclocking, but when I booted up I noticed that it was going really slow. I opened up CPU-Z and the Intel TAT and found that my CPU was severely underclocked.

I've linked to a screenshot of what some apps are showing me, but if you need any extra information I'll get it to you.

http://img53.imageshack.us/my.php?image=e4300wtfje7.jpg

Thanks,

Sam

SPARTAN-117

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2006
Only thing I can think of at the moment is trying to rest the CMOS then see what speed your CPU is running at. To reset the CMOS there is a jumper on the mobo that you need to move over a pin and it'll rest the CMOS and BIOS. For more info on reseting your CMOS refer to your mobo manual.

Grimmy

Splendid
Feb 20, 2006
Errr... that's normal.

Again, it's speed step doing its job.

The multi is at x6. When the E4300 is under a load, it will go back to x9, which will give you your stock speed of 1.8 ghz.

Grimmy

Splendid
Feb 20, 2006
After a 2nd look at the screen cap...

That is weird to see TAT showing 132/129 mhz and system properties at 596mhz :lol:

But I trust CPU-Z is showing the correct/right speed.

weilin

Distinguished
ok, in intel TAT, disable throttling, you have it set to 87% throttle as in drop the clock speed by 87%. I can tell because the button next to it says "stop" instead of "start". If you're trying to test for stability, start the "workload level" option at 100% (the button above it).

Grimmy

Splendid
Feb 20, 2006
:lol: . o O (good eye)

I didn't even noticed that the throttling was turned on or started at 87.5 percent.

:oops: . o O (duh)

So that makes perfect sense.

senor_bob

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2007
What these guys told you sounds like the problem.

Now here's my concern - those temperatures are pretty high for the CPU at stock speed, especially with speedstep and throttling on. You should make sure everything's OK with your heatsink before you go off overclocking. Now if you're using the Intel cooler in the pics with fan speed on Auto, that's probably about right, but if that's your aftermarket heatsink, I'd set the fan to 100% speed in BIOS, and if it's still that hot I'd be concerned. As a point of reference, my overclocked, full load (dual Prime95) temps are in the low 40s.

senor_bob

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2007
To be fair you are also using a 120 extreme and only at 1.3v. :wink:
True, but I am assuming an E4300 @ stock should be around the same voltage. In fact, the OP's screenshot showed only 1.1V (at the speedstep lowered clocks), which is why I worry about his temps if he OCs.

Actually, today I'm at 3.5 GHz @ 1.25V, trying to find that optimal tradeoff between speed and voltage/heat, my load temps max at 38C in this configuration :D .

SuperFly03

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2004
True. I mainly pointed that out so that he doesn't assume those are the temps he should be at at about the same speed.

Geez 3.5 @ 1.25.... I can't even hit 3.5 w/o pushing 1.6 8O

Grimmy

Splendid
Feb 20, 2006
I kinda vaguely remember messing with the throttle option on TAT. I do recall reducing the frequency for the cores at a low setting, though I can't remember what it was exactly.

Point is, the temps on my dads 4300 stayed the same (38-40), and didn't reduce. I'd say his temps are okay, but with a 100 percent worklevel load would really be the test.

As far as the 3.5 OC on 120 extreme... I agree, that isn't fair to compare. I kinda wonder what that HSF would provide at the speed my dad's 4300 is OC to. :lol:

I wonder where the OP went to, he hasn't replied in awhile.. heh, hope his systems okay.

senor_bob

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2007
True. I mainly pointed that out so that he doesn't assume those are the temps he should be at at about the same speed.
OK, good point. I've even seen people complaining about their U120X because they don't get 33C at load like that asinine Anandtech article where "load" was a FarCry demo, so fair warning to the OP is good.

Geez 3.5 @ 1.25.... I can't even hit 3.5 w/o pushing 1.6 8O
The E6700 has to be good for something, right ? :D (to be honest I only got it because the E6600 was out of stock and I was impatient, but it does seem to clock very well at low voltage - I wonder how a Xeon 3070 would do?)

Point is, the temps on my dads 4300 stayed the same (38-40), and didn't reduce. I'd say his temps are okay, but with a 100 percent worklevel load would really be the test.
Are you letting the mobo do auto fan speed control? I'm pretty sure that if so it targets about 40C and slows the fan down if it falls below that, so that would be normal. I was just saying that if my idle temps were 40C, I'd do some stress testing at stock speed before jumping into OC'ing, especially if an OC high enough to require voltage boost is planned. As I recall, your dad's 4300 OC isn't real aggressive, the OP didn't really say how aggressive he wanted to go. The 120 Extreme is awesome, even if it was a pain to find in stock amonth ago. It seems pretty easy to find these days though.
I wonder where the OP went to, he hasn't replied in awhile.. heh, hope his systems okay.
I'll second that.

Grimmy

Splendid
Feb 20, 2006
Are you letting the mobo do auto fan speed control? I'm pretty sure that if so it targets about 40C and slows the fan down if it falls below that, so that would be normal. I was just saying that if my idle temps were 40C, I'd do some stress testing at stock speed before jumping into OC'ing, especially if an OC high enough to require voltage boost is planned. As I recall, your dad's 4300 OC isn't real aggressive, the OP didn't really say how aggressive he wanted to go. The 120 Extreme is awesome, even if it was a pain to find in stock amonth ago. It seems pretty easy to find these days though.

I believe your correct, it perhaps is turned on (can't remember really, I thought I disabled it). The MSI app has 7 levels for fan settings. When I did use speed fan, and kicked it up to 100 percent, I could see the fan speed change through the case (rear led fan has like a spin affect on it). Also the RPMs are at 2000, but the max is under 2400. So, actually the temps won't really change much. It is using that sunbeam clone HSF that looks like that AC7 pro (6 heat pipes).

Edit:

I do remember if I force the fan to run under 1900 rpms, the temp rises. Really can't jump on the system atm, dad is using it. :lol:

Grimmy

Splendid
Feb 20, 2006
Had a thought... was curious.

Since I remember I used the throttle on TAT, why don't you guys perform the same test.

Just set TATs throttle to 85 percent. It should show a reduce frequency, and from what I understand, your temps should remain the same, but I could be wrong. I think I only let my dads system run that way for about 5 mins, and it didn't have any effect from what I can recall.

weilin

Distinguished
i'm not sure what the throttle thing actually does. Normally, with a frequency adjustment, CPUZ and the "properties" of my computer will reflect the change. However, when i throttle, thats not hte case. I can feel the pc being less responsive but nothing else. The temp does not change however...