Can't access Computers on my LAN!!

tekk2k

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2004
Hey, I just set my LAN. I have two computers and a laptopm, with plans for inviting friends over. They are connected through a linksys router. I have winXP pro running on all machines. I have file and print sharing turned on, on all of them. THE PROBLEM: I can access my computer from all the machines in the network, but i can't access none of the computers on the lan from my machine. when i try, it ask me for a login and password. I installed winXPpro on all of the machines and I never set a network login and password up on any of them. Does anybody have an idea of what i could try to do to fix this problem.

take off your cool!!

jammydodger

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2001
Does your router automatically assign IP address' or are you IP addy's static? If they are static try pinging the computer you cant access to see if it responds. You might want to try disabling the windows XP firewall.

[Insert witty comment here]

FiL

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2002
if you have the windows XP firewall on the LAN machines then they will be unable to use windows printer and file sharing. turn the firewall off for LAN usage, for safety put a firewall or restrictive IP filter settings on your router this should allow the LAN to work, whilst still protecting all the computers from unauthorised access from the internet.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by FiL on 02/04/04 00:56 AM.</EM></FONT></P>