Windows Mail

JMH

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2009
My current machine uses Vista, so I switched from Outlook Express to Windows Mail. When typing an e-mail using OE, I was prompted with an recipient address, which saved me from constantly typing out a full address or opening the contact list, etc. But, with WM, it seems as if the prompt lasts about 24 hours. So, if I am sending to an address that I have previously sent to within about 24 hours, I get the prompt, otherwise I have to go through the whole "9 yards." Is there a way to have these addresses permanently prompted in Windows Mail?

JMH

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2009
I understand how to access the contact list by clicking "To:" My question has to do with Windows Mail prompting the address. For example, when I used Outlook Express on a XP based laptop, and I wanted to send an e-mail to johndoe@usa.com, I would start typing jo in the To: area all similar addresses would drop down and I could click on the one I was looking for. This eliminated the need to scroll through all the contacts in that list. With Windows Mail, prompted addresses seem limited to the ones I have used in the previous 24 hours. How do I get Windows Mail to permanently prompt the addresses?

pat mcgroin

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2007
Ok I see.
have you made any changes to your auto complete settings?
Im guessing not but I had to ask.
Do you run disk cleanup of any kind very often?
Possibly it is set to delete the auto complete section.
In IExplorer does the auto complete work correctly?

The reason that I ask these questions is because OE was tied to IE in many ways.
Now with them using windows mail and the law suits concerning the above progs. Im not certain if the progs. work as closely as they did.
Ill try to find a better answer for you but it is all I have at the moment.

JMH

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2009
Thanks. The auto complete wasn't checked for "forms" and that appears to the magic item for e-mail. Once I checked that (it was the only one not checked for some odd reason), the recipients names in the To: box were continually prompted. Problem solved! I appreciate the help.