Sign in with
Your question

WoW player fedup with nVidia... need an ATi equivilent.

Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • World Of Warcraft
  • Games
  • Nvidia
  • Graphics
  • Product
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
June 3, 2007 3:32:50 AM

I'm currently running an nVidia 7900 GS. I play WoW, it runs the game perfectly, max settings, max viewing distance, everything. Except for one thing. Apparently nVidia can't get its shit straight when it coems to compatability with WoW. It used to be the primary problem was random game crashes that are nVidia exclusive, but now it's taken to locking the game up completely countless times a day, and locking it up to the point where it's impossible to get out in any way, the only option is a manual restart. So I'm tired of it, and want to switch to ATi. My main question is this. What is an ATi card, roughly equivilent or a bit more powerful than a 7900 GS, that I should consider?

More about : wow player fedup nvidia ati equivilent

June 3, 2007 3:48:20 AM

X1950Pro would be my recommendation. More on par with a 7900GT than a 7900GS, so that should be a little upgrade for you. Or if you want to spend a little more you can get the X1950XT which is a sweet card.
Related resources
June 3, 2007 4:07:19 AM

Did you update your drivers?
June 3, 2007 4:22:36 AM

Yep. Latest nVidia drivers released May 31st.
June 3, 2007 4:28:57 AM

There was a recent problem with WoW it's self that was hotfixed on wednesday that caused a lot of crashes. ATI has also had compatibility problems with WoW. Blackwing lair used to crash the hell out of my ATI card until ati released a driver fix. I've used both ati and nvidia cards on wow and it really doesn't make a huge difference with that game.
June 3, 2007 12:40:54 PM

Quote:
There was a recent problem with WoW it's self that was hotfixed on wednesday that caused a lot of crashes. ATI has also had compatibility problems with WoW. Blackwing lair used to crash the hell out of my ATI card until ati released a driver fix. I've used both ati and nvidia cards on wow and it really doesn't make a huge difference with that game.

Yeah... the Error 132 crashes? I used to get that a lot, but not anymore. The problem is now I can't even tell what the cause of the game freezes is, because there's no way to get out of the game. The screen freezes (usually I can still move the mouse, and anything in the background like music from iTunes keeps running) and nothing can exit the game. Alt-F4, Ctrl-Alt-Delete, Alt-Tab, nothing. The only option is to turn it off manually. This happens, at minimum, every 30 minutes or so.
June 3, 2007 2:30:39 PM

EQPlayer, I probably shouldn't ask, but does you rig crash on any other apps, if so, especially if their 3D intense, check and make sure that your power is enough for the video card. also, if you are OCing your card, check that too.
June 4, 2007 12:27:56 AM

It's not OC'd, no, and the power ought to be fine. The auxiliary jumper is attached, and it's a stock Dell system, so I would assume power wouldn't be an issue. As far as other crashing goes, well... I don't actually play any other games, so I couldn't tell you as far as 3D intense stuff goes.
June 4, 2007 12:58:24 AM

Quote:
and it's a stock Dell system
That explains it. :wink:
June 4, 2007 1:15:01 AM

Quote:

Many people complain of server lag when playing WoW. To the OP: does your card have problems with games or benchmarks like 3DM06 that are more demanding then WoW?
June 4, 2007 7:49:20 PM

Quote:

Many people complain of server lag when playing WoW. To the OP: does your card have problems with games or benchmarks like 3DM06 that are more demanding then WoW?

I don't know, I've not tried running any other 3D games or benchmarks. On another note, I also get pretty bad artifacts that can be temporarily fixed by Alt-Tabbing out of the game and then re-Maximizing it. Mostly elongated triangular geometry extending from people / terrain / scenery / buildings, but occasionally I'll get random transluscent / tinted planes extending to nowhere from nowhere.
June 4, 2007 8:42:02 PM

Quote:

Yep. How long have you had that 7900GS?
June 4, 2007 9:58:21 PM

Quote:

Yep. How long have you had that 7900GS?

About uhh... 7-8 months or so. It's performed perfectly until the last month or two.
June 4, 2007 11:40:21 PM

Quote:
I'm currently running an nVidia 7900 GS. I play WoW, it runs the game perfectly, max settings, max viewing distance, everything. Except for one thing. Apparently nVidia can't get its **** straight when it coems to compatability with WoW. It used to be the primary problem was random game crashes that are nVidia exclusive, but now it's taken to locking the game up completely countless times a day, and locking it up to the point where it's impossible to get out in any way, the only option is a manual restart. So I'm tired of it, and want to switch to ATi. My main question is this. What is an ATi card, roughly equivilent or a bit more powerful than a 7900 GS, that I should consider?

WOW is or was screwed up ... not your nvidia card .... don't waste money on a dx9 card .... you'll get them on ebay soon for $5.00 - $10.00 !
June 4, 2007 11:53:59 PM

When was the last time you clean the computer? And i dont mean teh outside.
June 5, 2007 12:06:42 AM

Quote:
I'm currently running an nVidia 7900 GS. I play WoW, it runs the game perfectly, max settings, max viewing distance, everything. Except for one thing. Apparently nVidia can't get its **** straight when it coems to compatability with WoW. It used to be the primary problem was random game crashes that are nVidia exclusive, but now it's taken to locking the game up completely countless times a day, and locking it up to the point where it's impossible to get out in any way, the only option is a manual restart. So I'm tired of it, and want to switch to ATi. My main question is this. What is an ATi card, roughly equivilent or a bit more powerful than a 7900 GS, that I should consider?

WOW is or was screwed up ... not your nvidia card .... don't waste money on a dx9 card .... you'll get them on ebay soon for $5.00 - $10.00 !

WoW may be screwed up (which it is) but MOST people don't have an uplayable game due to constant graphical artifacts and lockups even as screwed up as the program itself is.
June 5, 2007 12:07:09 AM

Quote:
When was the last time you clean the computer? And i dont mean teh outside.

You mean as far as a good Defrag goes?
June 5, 2007 12:13:40 AM

I use the 81.85 drivers for my 6800XT with all pipes unlocked and clocking at 425/800. All I play is WoW and its flawless on my E4300@2.0ghz(ECS mainboard wont OC any further). The newest drivers give me hell with random crashes and lockups. Blizzard reccomends using even older drivers for some reason, But the 81.85 work perfectly fine. I think my 90-140fps with everything on and AS/AA maxed at 1280x1024 is good. Orgrimmar used to drop my old comp to 10fps at the mailbox. Now its a solid 90+ no matter where I am. Remove all drivers. Remove the card and reseat it(xp will redetect a new card). Load the 81.85 drivers. WoW will state hardware changed do you want to use default settings. Say no and all should be fine.
June 5, 2007 12:27:31 AM

Quote:
I use the 81.85 drivers for my 6800XT with all pipes unlocked and clocking at 425/800. All I play is WoW and its flawless on my E4300@2.0ghz(ECS mainboard wont OC any further). The newest drivers give me hell with random crashes and lockups. Blizzard reccomends using even older drivers for some reason, But the 81.85 work perfectly fine. I think my 90-140fps with everything on and AS/AA maxed at 1280x1024 is good. Orgrimmar used to drop my old comp to 10fps at the mailbox. Now its a solid 90+ no matter where I am. Remove all drivers. Remove the card and reseat it(xp will redetect a new card). Load the 81.85 drivers. WoW will state hardware changed do you want to use default settings. Say no and all should be fine.

That's a great idea and all, except that the 81.85 drivers aren't compatible with my 7900GS; they're too old.
!