plasma

Last response: in Home Theatre
Share
January 21, 2005 3:29:47 AM

Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv,uk.media.tv.sky,uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.tech.tv.sky (More info?)

Looking to buy a plasma tv, possible condenders is 37 inch Panasonic
TH37PE30B which is 852x480 and 4000:1 ratio and no dvi input for future HD
or the Samsung PS37S4A which is 1024x1024 and 3000:1 ratio it has a dvi
input for future HD also component inputs at the back for 480,720,1080
progressive scan.
Would like to know if anyone out there has any comments about these 2, both
look great when watching DVDs but I would like to know what there like via
Sky ot Freeview or through the normal Aerial.

thanks stevie

More about : plasma

Anonymous
January 21, 2005 6:15:29 AM

Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv,uk.media.tv.sky,uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.tech.tv.sky (More info?)

Thus spaketh stevie:
> Looking to buy a plasma tv, possible condenders is 37 inch Panasonic
> TH37PE30B which is 852x480 and 4000:1 ratio and no dvi input for
> future HD or the Samsung PS37S4A which is 1024x1024 and 3000:1 ratio
> it has a dvi input for future HD also component inputs at the back
> for 480,720,1080 progressive scan.
> Would like to know if anyone out there has any comments about these
> 2, both look great when watching DVDs but I would like to know what
> there like via Sky ot Freeview or through the normal Aerial.
>

> thanks stevie

The 37" Panasonic has very low resolution only 480 lines when PAL TV and DVD
is 576 lines, so straight away it is downscaling.

The Samsung having 1024 x 1024 would have to upscale the 720 x 576 PAL, would
have to scale 720 (1280 x 720) and downscale 1080 (1920 x 1080)

So with both of those TVs you will never get as good a picture as a model
showing the image natively.

What you want is a screen that is at least capable of displaying one format
native.

In all honesty I would wait 12 - 18 months.
Anonymous
January 21, 2005 10:57:33 AM

"stevie" <stevenmadams@tiscali.co.uk> wrote in message
> Looking to buy a plasma tv, possible condenders is 37 inch Panasonic
> TH37PE30B which is 852x480 and 4000:1 ratio and no dvi input for future HD
> or the Samsung PS37S4A which is 1024x1024 and 3000:1 ratio it has a dvi
> input for future HD also component inputs at the back for 480,720,1080
> progressive scan.
> Would like to know if anyone out there has any comments about these 2,
> both look great when watching DVDs but I would like to know what there
> like via Sky ot Freeview or through the normal Aerial.
>

> thanks stevie

if you're thinking of HD you need to make sure a DVI input is HDMI
compliant.
also - 852x480 would be a non starter for HD quality as that's not even the
existing PAL resolution.
if you want to take full advantage of the full HD quality, you need to get
something that has 1900x1200 resolution - although i'm not sure that any
plasmas actually exist of that quality currently.

--
Gareth.
my Dad took me out for the evening and some girl was being a right

Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv,uk.media.tv.sky,uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.tech.tv.sky (More info?)

"the dog from that film you saw" <dsb@REMOVETHECAPITALSgarethyoung.plus.com>
wrote in message

> if you want to take full advantage of the full HD quality, you need to get
> something that has 1900x1200 resolution

oops- that should be 1900x1080

--
Gareth.
my Dad took me out for the evening and some girl was being a right
embarrassment
trying to get off with him, i had to pretend that i was his girlfreind
so that the stupid bitch would leave him alone, and we had a right
good laugh ahout it too.
'varizo' 26th Nov 04
http://www.audioscrobbler.com/user/dsbmusic/
Anonymous
January 21, 2005 12:39:31 PM

Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv,uk.media.tv.sky,uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.tech.tv.sky (More info?)

>> if you want to take full advantage of the full HD quality, you need to
>> get something that has 1900x1200 resolution
>
> oops- that should be 1900x1080

Well, 1920 x 1080. Currently the only screen is the Sharp LC45GD1E LCD. OK,
it's way more expensive to buy, but if you think in terms of the lifespan,
running costs, environmental issues, weight, screen burn, etc, then the only
thing which stands against it is the poorer contrast of LCD and the fact it
doesn't have anything like Sony's Wega engine to improve the picture. Apart
from that it's had cracking reviews. The sony plasmas have a WXGA panel and
a lovely picture, but as yet, no HD input. Closest is the Pioneers. I don't
think much of the budget plasmas - Samsung & LG
Anonymous
January 21, 2005 2:45:49 PM

Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv,uk.media.tv.sky,uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.tech.tv.sky (More info?)

On Fri, 21 Jan 2005 09:39:31 GMT, "Mat Overton"
<mat.overton@REMOVElealholm.co.uk> wrote:

>>> if you want to take full advantage of the full HD quality, you need to
>>> get something that has 1900x1200 resolution
>>
>> oops- that should be 1900x1080
>
>Well, 1920 x 1080. Currently the only screen is the Sharp LC45GD1E LCD. OK,
>it's way more expensive to buy, but if you think in terms of the lifespan,
>running costs, environmental issues, weight, screen burn, etc, then the only
>thing which stands against it is the poorer contrast of LCD and the fact it
>doesn't have anything like Sony's Wega engine to improve the picture. Apart
>from that it's had cracking reviews. The sony plasmas have a WXGA panel and
>a lovely picture, but as yet, no HD input. Closest is the Pioneers. I don't
>think much of the budget plasmas - Samsung & LG

The other thing against the Sharp is that it's only 45". What do you mean by HD
input on the Sonys? I have seen the 60" fed HDTV from the satellite channel
Euro1080 with a corking picture.

--
Nigel Barker
Live from the sunny Cote d'Azur

"Nigel Barker" <nigel@hp.com> wrote in message

>>> oops- that should be 1900x1080
>>
>>Well, 1920 x 1080. Currently the only screen is the Sharp LC45GD1E LCD.
>>OK,
>>it's way more expensive to buy, but if you think in terms of the lifespan,
>>running costs, environmental issues, weight, screen burn, etc, then the
>>only
>>thing which stands against it is the poorer contrast of LCD and the fact
>>it
>>doesn't have anything like Sony's Wega engine to improve the picture.
>>Apart
>>from that it's had cracking reviews. The sony plasmas have a WXGA panel
>>and
>>a lovely picture, but as yet, no HD input. Closest is the Pioneers. I
>>don't
>>think much of the budget plasmas - Samsung & LG
>
> The other thing against the Sharp is that it's only 45". What do you mean
> by HD
> input on the Sonys? I have seen the 60" fed HDTV from the satellite
> channel
> Euro1080 with a corking picture.

probably means a HD input that will work with UK HD broadcasts - remember
this will need a HDMI dvi input.

--
Gareth.
my Dad took me out for the evening and some girl was being a right
embarrassment
trying to get off with him, i had to pretend that i was his girlfreind
so that the stupid bitch would leave him alone, and we had a right
good laugh ahout it too.
'varizo' 26th Nov 04
http://www.audioscrobbler.com/user/dsbmusic/
January 22, 2005 2:05:53 AM

Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv,uk.media.tv.sky,uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.tech.tv.sky (More info?)

Try to take a look at logofree TV, watch out for screen burn THEY DONT TELL
YOU THAT IN THE SHOP
Anonymous
January 22, 2005 6:10:18 AM

I'm pretty sure that Panasonic had modular terminal boards, and you can
add-on whatever you want. DVI, HDMI, another component, whatever.

--
email wachs eight four at yahoo dot com (but don't spell out the numbers)
Anonymous

"Alan Larson" <larson@w6yx.stanford.edu> wrote in message
> In article <n54Id.184676$Z7.162695@fe2.news.blueyonder.co.uk> you write:
>>>
>>> oops- that should be 1900x1080
>>
>>Well, 1920 x 1080. Currently the only screen is the Sharp LC45GD1E LCD.
>>OK, it's way more expensive to buy, but if you think in terms of the
>>lifespan, running costs, environmental issues, weight, screen burn, etc,
>>then the only thing which stands against it is the poorer contrast of LCD
>>and the fact it doesn't have anything like Sony's Wega engine to improve
>>the picture. Apart from that it's had cracking reviews. The sony plasmas
>>have a WXGA panel and a lovely picture, but as yet, no HD input. Closest
>>is the Pioneers. I don't think much of the budget plasmas - Samsung & LG
>>

> Samsung also has a 1920 x 1080 LCD, in a 46 inch size as I recall.
>
> I have seen one, side by side, with the Sharp.
>
> Both had flaws, and neither was as sharp as the 61 inch Pioneer plasma
> a few feet away with the same content, even though the plasma was only
> 768 line.

Not seen that one, they've got a 40" Samsung listed on the web, but that's
only 1280x768. Granted LCD leaves a bit to be desired, something akin to
wega engine or pixel plus would make the Sharp an even better set. I've not
seen the 61" pioneer, only the 50 and 43, but the 45" is certainly as sharp
on my setup as the pioneer, the pioneer certainly does a great job to
resolve the full resolution of HDTV on a low res set. My main concern as a
shopper though would be the lifespan, running costs and burn in issues. I've
been running HD1 on the pioneer 43" and Sharp 45", and even with its
extremely light logo, I could see shadows on the panel when switching
sources.

Having said all that, I think it's worth buying a plasma now, and then in a
few years time buy a LCD when the price has dropped and the technology
improved, and you'll have paid the same as if you bought an LCD now!!!!!

;)
Anonymous
January 23, 2005 1:01:06 AM

Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv,uk.media.tv.sky,uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.tech.tv.sky (More info?)

In article <35fnqhF4jhi8oU4@individual.net>, Adrian <anca@bigfoot.com>
writes

>By the time sky actual start their transmissions, maybe CED displays
>will be available, these are supposed to have contrast as good as CRT.
>I'm going to wait a little longer.

CED - Carbon Evaporated Devices?? Who is making displays with that
technology?

Or are you talking about Organic Light Emitting Diode, OLED, displays?
Epson have a 1280x768 pixel, 41" demonstration unit:
http://www.epson.co.in/aboutus/newscentre/OLED.shtml
http://www.epson.co.jp/e/newsroom/data/040518display.wm...

while last year Samsung announced a 1600x1200 pixel 17" panel to reach
the market later this year:
http://news.zdnet.co.uk/hardware/emergingtech/0,3902035...
although all mention of this has now, strangely, seems to have been
expunged from Samsung's corporate press release archives.

However they just announced a 1920x1080 pixel, 21" prototype two weeks
ago:
http://samsung.com/PressCenter/PressRelease/PressReleas...
_f0000089670#

No mention of when it will reach the streets this time, so this one
might remain on their press archives a little longer.

Both Epson and Samsung are talking in terms of 2007 before the life of
OLEDs are expected to reach acceptable levels for Joe Public - if they
continue to progress at current rates. Like most things though, as
development advances, the rate of progress towards an acceptable target
slows, so they might reach the streets in time for the UK analogue
switch off - probably with an analogue-only tuner!

Cynical? Moi? ;-)
--
Kennedy
January 23, 2005 1:01:07 AM

Kennedy McEwen wrote:

> In article <35fnqhF4jhi8oU4@individual.net>, Adrian <anca@bigfoot.com>
> writes
>

>> By the time sky actual start their transmissions, maybe CED displays
>> will be available, these are supposed to have contrast as good as CRT.
>> I'm going to wait a little longer.
>

> CED - Carbon Evaporated Devices?? Who is making displays with that
> technology?

I think he meant SED (surface-conduction electron emitter display)
which is being developed by Toshiba and Canon. Toshiba has shown a demo
model with supposedly a high contrast ratio. But there is a big step
from a demo lab built TV to a working production line model. Don't
expect SED flat screens to show up in the US in any sort of quantity
before 2006.

Alan F
Anonymous
January 23, 2005 8:28:24 AM

Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv,uk.media.tv.sky,uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.tech.tv.sky (More info?)

In article <w8KdnfHUX7__Sm_cRVn-qA@comcast.com>, Alan Figgatt
<afiggatt@comcast.net> writes
>Kennedy McEwen wrote:
>
>> In article <35fnqhF4jhi8oU4@individual.net>, Adrian
>><anca@bigfoot.com> writes
>>

>>> By the time sky actual start their transmissions, maybe CED displays
>>> will be available, these are supposed to have contrast as good as CRT.
>>> I'm going to wait a little longer.
>> CED - Carbon Evaporated Devices?? Who is making displays with that
>>technology?
>
> I think he meant SED (surface-conduction electron emitter display)
>which is being developed by Toshiba and Canon. Toshiba has shown a demo
>model with supposedly a high contrast ratio. But there is a big step
>from a demo lab built TV to a working production line model.

Looks like another attempt at getting FEDs to work, and likely to suffer
from the same problems - emitter life. I hate to think how much money
Micron threw into that black hole!
--
Kennedy
January 23, 2005 3:22:20 PM

"Mat Overton" <mat.overton@REMOVElealholm.co.uk> wrote in message news:qgxId.61$dr3.34@fe3.news.blueyonder.co.uk...
> <SNIP>
> Having said all that, I think it's worth buying a plasma now, and then in a
> few years time buy a LCD when the price has dropped and the technology
> improved, and you'll have paid the same as if you bought an LCD now!!!!!

I think that's pretty good advice, that's my plan.

The 45" Sharp Titanium looks interesting but I can buy a 42" Panasonic plasma
now for under £1,500 and the Sharp is over £5,000, I just can't justify that.
We've seen the decay of prices for plasma tvs, they started out at well over
£8,000 for a really poor picture quality. My expectation is that by the time Sky
are broadcasting significant HD content at a reasonable price it will be at least
early 2008 (remember how long they denied the existence of widescreen and
insisted in keeping all but one of their movie channels in 4:3 format). By 2008 I
expect to be able to pick up a 42" high definition LCD screen with much better
quality that the current models for the same sub £1,500 price I intend to pay for
my plasma this year.

- Julian
January 24, 2005 8:54:32 PM

Alan Figgatt wrote:
> Kennedy McEwen wrote:
>
>> In article <35fnqhF4jhi8oU4@individual.net>, Adrian
>> <anca@bigfoot.com> writes
>>

>>> By the time sky actual start their transmissions, maybe CED displays
>>> will be available, these are supposed to have contrast as good as
>>> CRT. I'm going to wait a little longer.
>>

>> CED - Carbon Evaporated Devices?? Who is making displays with that
>> technology?
>
> I think he meant SED (surface-conduction electron emitter display)
> which is being developed by Toshiba and Canon. Toshiba has shown a
> demo model with supposedly a high contrast ratio. But there is a big
> step from a demo lab built TV to a working production line model.
> Don't expect SED flat screens to show up in the US in any sort of
> quantity before 2006.
>
> Alan F

That's the one, I knew I'd got it wrong after I posted, must be old age.
;-)
--
Adrian
!