Sign in with
Your question

Dell pc Windows fail, help required

Last response: in Storage
May 12, 2009 7:09:52 PM

I have a Dell pc, fairly new, and starting up Windows as normal I got a BSOD. The fault was - "unmountable boot volume". I tried to get into the C drive in any way I could think of to run chkdsk but it seems to be completely blocked out. I took the drive out and put it into another pc to see what was wrong and all seemed ok. I ran chkdsk and it found a couple or errors and fixed them. I put the drive back into the case and booted up, no BSOD this time, it went straight to the profiles page but the usb mouse and keyboard do not work at all so I have no way of getting any further, I have tried other keyboards and mouse but it the same thing, its completely stuck. Desperate to get this one working again. Any help would be most appreciated.
a b G Storage
May 12, 2009 7:51:32 PM

Try booting off an OS disc to do a windows repair. It sounds like the generic windows drivers, and maybe some others, got corrupted.
Anonymous
a b G Storage
May 13, 2009 10:51:57 AM

No, boot from the Windows CD and get into a Recovery Console by hitting R at the first prompt. Run "chkdsk c: /p/r" from the command prompt until there are no more errors. Your hard drive might be failing so run the Hard Drive test from the F12 menu.

Grumpy
a b G Storage
May 13, 2009 2:22:11 PM

Struolip said:
I took the drive out and put it into another pc to see what was wrong and all seemed ok. I ran chkdsk and it found a couple or errors and fixed them.

The OP already corrected the disc errors. It is now booting, but it sounds like the drivers that control the mouse/keyboard were corrupted.
!