Valy18

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2007
I have a 250 GB IDE Westrn Digital hard drive who failed yesturday.I was watching a movie and I it sudently stoped my system and after I rebooted it squawked a few times and the OS whas'nt starting.I putted the drive on a USB rack and it hardly detected a partition.But after a few times was'nt reconised by the system it starts a few seconds after I hear that sound and then it stops runnig .Anyone was any ideea how I could recover my data ??

croc

Distinguished
BANNED
Sep 14, 2005
Although I've never had a WD drive, I do know that they have some diagnostic / recovery tools available on their website. I'd try those before I just took a sledge to the drive...

Valy18

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2007
I have warenty but if go where I boughth it they will give me a new one .This the 4'th time they did this :))

Valy18

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2007
They answered and give me a link to some data recovery companies but didnt say they are suporting the costs of the recovery .And they are not giving circuit boars.I have been more threatning in this last mail but probably they will not give a f**k mostly because I not a US citizen

tomwaddle

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2006
Warranties does not cover data recovery. Period. It has nothing to do with you not being a U.S. citizen.
Put the drive in your freezer for at least an hour and then plug it in your PC. If it boots up, copy the data off of it as fast as you can.

Valy18

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2007
Put the drive in your freezer for at least an hour and then plug it in your PC. If it boots up, copy the data off of it as fast as you can.
Never heard of that.I am pretty sure that something from the circuit board is jammed because when I putt power in the hdd small part of the circuit gets hot like hell in just a few seconds :?

Valy18

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2007
NO.I tryed the freezer trick.did'nt work.. The only way I think is probably find a circuit board from a similr drive.Probably the motor controler failed judgeing by the way it died with wierd clicking noieses .

Valy18

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2007
It's recovers for allmost dead drives .Mine is not recognized by BIOS and it is completly dead ALELUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUIA

so software recovery is not a option ..............

ZOldDude

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2006
Warranties does not cover data recovery. Period. It has nothing to do with you not being a U.S. citizen.

That often works!

I suspect that he has been buying bootleged HD's if the store has already put him onto a 4th drive.

I would tell the shop keeper that I want it replaced with a differant brand.

EDIT: Are your PSU voltages ok?

htoonthura

Distinguished
May 21, 2006
I have warenty but if go where I boughth it they will give me a new one .This the 4'th time they did this :))

I had a lot of bad issues with wd. Now, i am with sg for more than 2 years. No problem at all. Most of my wd drives within 2 years. imo, they suck.

Valy18

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2007
I think I know what destoyed it .It's probably primary IDE .Nothing I put on it is seen in BIOS and when I touched It gived me a shock.It was a lot of volts :) .Never seen something like that a ide slot on mainboard to do that .

hddlab

Distinguished
May 24, 2007
Your HDD have some erro of firmware and/or erro of PCB. If you can send it to my HDDLAB, I'll help you to recover data. I living in Vietnam.