mrmjs

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2006
i have a wireless router that has a built in firewall.. so do i still need to run a firewall on my pc or is the router good enough?

micheljq

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2007
If you have a hardware firewall you should not use a software firewall. A network should always have only one firewall anyway. Hardware firewalls do hide your computer's IP address from the internet so it protects against hackers.

Know that an antivirus and antispyware program should also be used.

riser

Illustrious

Uh, say what??

Doubling up on firewalls is not a bad idea. First, a firewall does not hide your IP - NAT hides your IP address in a public IP address. That is not a firewall, though many think it is.

Most network should have 2 firewalls - most companies will have two forms of firewall protection: a firewall and NAT, or an ISP based firewall to protect them.

El0him

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2006
You should have as many firewalls as you feel you are secured with.

micheljq

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2007
I am sorry to refute some users here. My personal experience as a PC/LAN analyst : I did work form many big companies and they have or had only one firewall except when having many different buildings in many sites, even so - They have ONE firewall per site. If you know hot to administer your firewall well, you only need one.