Sign in with
Your question

Is automated file deletion possible?

Last response: in Windows XP
May 13, 2009 9:46:15 AM

Is it possible to get an application or to configure windows XP in such a way so that it will automatically delete files in a certain folder which are older than a certain number of days or to monitor the size of the folder and delete a number of files once the folder size reaches a certain threshold. This would need to run continuosly on the computer.
May 13, 2009 12:54:46 PM

Are you any good with batch files?
That would be the easiest way to create a custom setup that you will need.
May 13, 2009 7:58:02 PM

pat mcgroin said:
Are you any good with batch files?
That would be the easiest way to create a custom setup that you will need.

A colleague of mine put me on to the idea pf batch files after I posted. Do you know any web resources where i could get a handle on them?
May 14, 2009 1:35:13 PM

This is the first one I found in my favorites.
http://commandwindows.com/

Something I was thinking would be that when writing the file, do it with this thought in mind.
You dont necessarily want a batch file to run all of the time as it will consume resources.
So you wont have to write any timing sequences into it. Just get it to do what you want.
Then when you want to implement it use the windows task scheduler to tell it when to run and how often.
You could set it to run once a day or once an hour or whatever depending on how fast the files accumulate.

Batch files arent as difficult as it may seem at first. That site also includes a command line list and some guidence on writing files.
The best part is that they can be written in notepad.

Feel free to post back if I can help anymore.
Im not the greatest batch writer but Ill try to help.
!