Avast 5 problems ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

purplepatch

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2010
Hi all, I have been using Avast 4.8 for a long time now without any problems, I installed Avast 5 yesterday with catastrophic results. My computer got as far as the desk-top and then seized-up, I wasn't able to open control panel to uninstall it either, plus, no other applications would open at all. I eventually had to boot in Safe Mode, and then uninstall Avast from add-remove-programs, I then rebooted, after that all was OK, so I just reinstalled Avast 4.8 without any problems. This has happened on two separate machines so far, I just cannot get this damn program to work on any of my computers. I am using Spybot, and I was wondering if it was clashing with Avast in some way ?

PP.

Bruceification73

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2009
Was it Avast 5 anti-virus or Avast 5 internet security?

Also free or paid?

It seems many people are having this issue, so you may want to try Avira or AVG until Avast fixes the problem.

theamazingchris

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2011
I've been using Avast on 3 other computers, all AMD, 1 XP, 1 VIsta, and 1 7. Avast works great on all of them. Current version 5.0.677.

I tried downloading and installing from the Avast site the free version for my new computer, also AMD, windows 7. The install went without a hitch, and I was able use other programs just fine.

However, I wasn't able to get back onto the internet. I did a restart to see if that would fix it. The user account selection screen came up, but I was unable to log on to any user accounts (including admin). It just showed the word Welcome and the rotating working circle. I could restart in safe mode and login just fine (I didn't try the internet in safe). I thought it wsa a program I had installed after Avast, so did a restore. Problem persisted. Restored to before Avast, problem fixed. Tried installing without Google Chrome. Problem returned. Restored, problem fixed. Sometimes it would tease me and show me my desktop, but it either wouldn't finish all of its startup routine, go to a black screen, or appear to be done just to freeze up on the first icon I clicked (including the start button).

I don't think I'm adding anything new, but at least Purplepatch will know he's not alone. I'm checking out some of the other software suggested in the relpies, and keeping an eye out for the fix some said may be out there. Where would the beta version mentioned be found. Is it possible to get an old version and upgrade since there seems to be no problems at all on my other computers and that's what I did with them?

Status
Not open for further replies.