Atikmdag.sys BSOD - Vista x64 SP1

It seems that every time I log off Vista, then log back on, the graphics become corrupt (similar to artifacts due to overheating, I can assure you it's not though) and then shortly after I get a BSOD with atikmdag.sys. I know this is the ATI display driver, but what exactly is wrong with it and why is it only when I log off and then back on is when I see the error? Of course, BSOD leads to system restart and then it works fine. It's only when I restart then logon do I not see any issue.

Problem details:
Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: BlueScreen
OS Version: 6.0.6001.2.1.0.768.3
Locale ID: 1033

Additional information about the problem:
BCCode: 116
BCP1: FFFFFA80085B44E0
BCP2: FFFFFA6002C18FCC
BCP3: 0000000000000000
BCP4: 0000000000000002
OS Version: 6_0_6001
Service Pack: 1_0
Product: 768_1

System Specs:
CPU: Intel Core i7 920 - 2.66GHz
PSU: Antec EarthWatts 650w
Motherboard: Dell X58
RAM: 6 x 1GB 1066 DDR3
Video Card: ATI Radeon HD 4850
HD1: Hitachi 640GB w/ RAID0 Card
HD2: Hitachi 640GB w/ RAID0 Card

If anyone could give me some insight, I would greatly appreciate it.
9 answers Last reply
More about atikmdag bsod vista
  1. Try other drivers. All 'recent' ATI Radeon drivers including the latest 9.8 work fine with my two 4850's. Installing Vista 64 SP2 will 'fix' any prior SP issues the system may be experiencing

http://game.amd.com/us-en/drivers_catalyst.aspx?p=vista64/common-vista64

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=656c9d4a-55ec-4972-a0d7-b1a6fedf51a7&displaylang=en
  2. my last update for my hd 2400 was 9.7,whe i try update my driver with 9.8/9.9/9.10 i get BSOD,can some one tell me why?
  3. Quote:
    my last update for my hd 2400 was 9.7,whe i try update my driver with 9.8/9.9/9.10 i get BSOD,can some one tell me why?

Find the latest 9.1 driver for the Radeon 2400 series here. Choose your Operating system. I believe ,Net framework 2.0 must be installed before the driver will install. Google ,net framework 2.0 or search M$ for the download for you're OS. Be sure to install all M$ updates, especially the SP's. You failed to mention the OS used.

http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/Pages/index.aspx
  4. Sry for my mistake,i use windows 7 ultimate x64,i use catalist 9.7 like i said if try update the card driver my pc restart and bsod apear i cannot intall the upadate 9.8,9.9 or 9.10 and i allready tried install the beta version 9.11 and....BSOD,i visited manny forúms,sites and till now nothing.thx.

OS. Windows Seven Ultimate X64
    MainBoard: MS-7379
    CPU: Intel Core Quad Q6600 2.4
    Ram: 3 GB kingstone
    VídeoCard: ATI Radeon HD 2400 Pro
  5. Your MB has an integrated Intel GMA 3100 graphic controller. I would check in BIOS and disable that onbaord graphics controller. Have you tried gong into Safe Mode and installing the latest Catalyst driver?
  6. badge said:
    Your MB has an integrated Intel GMA 3100 graphic controller. I would check in BIOS and disable that onbaord graphics controller. Have you tried gong into Safe Mode and installing the latest Catalyst driver?

No,i haven't try a installatios in safe mode i will try,and i will try too disable the onboard controller of intell,thx.
  7. Hello again,i already try instalation in safe mode,but windows dont let me install in safe mode,i tried too disable the option in bios but i cannot found,well i decide do some test and have installed now windows xp,for my surprise no bsod apear when installed the catalyst 9.11 -.-',now i think,maybe bsod is because of W7?or cuz W7x64?,i dont know,what i know is i'm using xp pro sp3 x32 and with last ati update.Sry for my bad english and thx for help.
  8. Hello guys im here again just to say i've installes windows 7 x32 and like x64 i get BSOD when try install last update ati,only in xp i haven't this problem,well i have to wait for a solution,bye bye.
  9. Hi guys, I have Windows 7 ultimate with ATI Radeon 3470 installed with the latest drivers. Often when I log off and back on again I get a crash with the blue screen. This is extremely annoying. Has a solution been found yet or should I find a way to install XP? Thanks a lot.
Ask a new question

Read More

Blue Screen Windows Vista