HDMI/DVI Observations

Last response: in Home Theatre
Share
January 20, 2005 11:50:42 PM

I have a new Toshiba 62HM94 DLP which I have had hooked up with
component cables. The picture has been fantastic on the Hd channels,
great on digital channels, very good on some Sd channels but only so-so
on others. Today I hooked up a HDMI/DVI cable to see if it would make a
difference and discovered that the picture via the HDMI/DVI cable is not
as good as through the component hook up. With HDMI the picture looks a
little dark and not as clear. Has anyone else had this experience?

Sharon

More about : hdmi dvi observations

Anonymous
January 21, 2005 10:58:21 AM

"Sharon" <me7@privacy.net> wrote in message
> I have a new Toshiba 62HM94 DLP which I have had hooked up with
> component cables. The picture has been fantastic on the Hd channels,
> great on digital channels, very good on some Sd channels but only so-so
> on others. Today I hooked up a HDMI/DVI cable to see if it would make a
> difference and discovered that the picture via the HDMI/DVI cable is not
> as good as through the component hook up. With HDMI the picture looks a
> little dark and not as clear. Has anyone else had this experience?
>
> Sharon

Adjust the contrast and brightness for the same levels on component and HDMI
inputs THEN compare. Post a better description of what is not as "clear"
and your meaning of the term after you eliminate the level differences and
perhaps someone can offer an explanation of why you are seeing what you are.
I could think of several possibilities, the first being confounding the
darkness and the clearness issues.

It is not uncommon to have level differences on these different inputs.

Leonard
January 21, 2005 1:32:27 PM

Leonard Caillouet wrote:
> "Sharon" <me7@privacy.net> wrote in message
>
>>I have a new Toshiba 62HM94 DLP which I have had hooked up with
>>component cables. The picture has been fantastic on the Hd channels,
>>great on digital channels, very good on some Sd channels but only so-so
>>on others. Today I hooked up a HDMI/DVI cable to see if it would make a
>>difference and discovered that the picture via the HDMI/DVI cable is not
>>as good as through the component hook up. With HDMI the picture looks a
>>little dark and not as clear. Has anyone else had this experience?
>>
>>Sharon
>

> Adjust the contrast and brightness for the same levels on component and HDMI
> inputs THEN compare. Post a better description of what is not as "clear"
> and your meaning of the term after you eliminate the level differences and
> perhaps someone can offer an explanation of why you are seeing what you are.
> I could think of several possibilities, the first being confounding the
> darkness and the clearness issues.
>
> It is not uncommon to have level differences on these different inputs.
>
> Leonard

Leonard,

I did adjust the levels for the HDMI connection to the same setting I
have for the component connection and I still find the HDMI connection
to be darker and a little grainier. I went back and forth between
several channels on both connections to compare. HD channels the picture
is very clear on HDMI but still looks too dark. The picture simply looks
much better with component connections to me.

Sharon
Related resources
January 21, 2005 3:47:00 PM

I did adjust the levels for the HDMI connection to the same setting I
> have for the component connection and I still find the HDMI connection to
> be darker and a little grainier. I went back and forth between several
> channels on both connections to compare. HD channels the picture is very
> clear on HDMI but still looks too dark. The picture simply looks much
> better with component connections to me.
>
> Sharon

No. Don't adjust to the same setting. Get a standardized test picture and
individually adjust the component and the digital video inputs to the same
standard of black level and brightness and color saturation. If the box is
doing a better job with digital conversion than your new DTV than there is
something wrong with your new DTV.

Richard.
Anonymous
January 21, 2005 3:53:42 PM

> Leonard Caillouet wrote:
> > "Sharon" <me7@privacy.net> wrote in message
> >
> >>I have a new Toshiba 62HM94 DLP which I have had hooked up with
> >>component cables. The picture has been fantastic on the Hd channels,
> >>great on digital channels, very good on some Sd channels but only so-so
> >>on others. Today I hooked up a HDMI/DVI cable to see if it would make a
> >>difference and discovered that the picture via the HDMI/DVI cable is not
> >>as good as through the component hook up. With HDMI the picture looks a
> >>little dark and not as clear. Has anyone else had this experience?
> >>
> >>Sharon
> >

> > Adjust the contrast and brightness for the same levels on component and
HDMI
> > inputs THEN compare. Post a better description of what is not as
"clear"
> > and your meaning of the term after you eliminate the level differences
and
> > perhaps someone can offer an explanation of why you are seeing what you
are.
> > I could think of several possibilities, the first being confounding the
> > darkness and the clearness issues.
> >
> > It is not uncommon to have level differences on these different inputs.
> >
> > Leonard
> >

> Leonard,
>
> I did adjust the levels for the HDMI connection to the same setting I
> have for the component connection and I still find the HDMI connection
> to be darker and a little grainier. I went back and forth between
> several channels on both connections to compare. HD channels the picture
> is very clear on HDMI but still looks too dark. The picture simply looks
> much better with component connections to me.
>
> Sharon

Adjusting to the same setting is where you are making your mistake. Adjust
for the same brightness and contrast on the screen. Use a test pattern disk
and set the contrast and brightness levels correctly on both THEN evaluate
the quality of the picture. As I said, it is not uncommon on many sets to
have level differences between different types of inputs.

You may be seeing more grain because using the HDMI input involves less D/A
and A/D conversions, thus less filtering. The grain is likely in the source
and the higher resolution is revealing it.

Leonard
Anonymous
January 26, 2005 2:03:44 AM

I am not sure if your TV has a "sharpness" setting when in HDMI mode.
Graininess usually occurs when the sharpness is set too high.

!