The best CPU cooler for your new rig is.....

anticupidon

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2007
i just bought one yesterday... :D
thing is i bought it from a hardware store who must close and reopen in a different location and they have the prices cut in half....well a real bargain i must say...15 euros for a cooler like this one
tommorow i'll go for buying some fans and some dust filters

chuckshissle

Splendid
Feb 2, 2006
It's a good cooler but not the best. I had the Big Typhoon as well and it works really good when you have a side fan intake to feed it more cool air. Cools down my extremely hot 840 for one.

cb62fcni

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2006
This is the first time I've seen one outperform the thermalright and tuniq. I'm going to have to call shenannigans, the test data is flawed.

I do like the Big Typhoon though, it's a great cooler, especially if you want spill air over your mobo components.

That said, I really, really, really wish they hadn't gone to push-pins though, I absolutely hate that mounting system. I would so much rather go through the extra hassle of installing the backplate and carefully torquing screws than deal with intel's stupid push-pins. My last build with one of these was back during the holiday season. I'd installed dozens of the older big typhoons, so I got a new model without doing my research. Long story short, it was impossible to get sufficient pressure between the HS and the CPU on a DS3. I had to put little motherboard paper washers in between the clip and the heat sink to get enough pressure. Before I did this, temps were 10C higher! Bleh, anyway, here's some other cooler round-ups:
http://www.anandtech.com/casecooling/showdoc.aspx?i=2981&p=3
This one is also screwy, shows a Freezer 7 stomping it- I think a mounting issue
http://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/bigtyphoon/2.htm

http://www.pcper.com/article.php?aid=326&type=expert&pid=5

SEALBoy

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2006
That's a good cooler, but the review didn't take into account the Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme. That thing has 6 heatpipes, 2 more than the Ultra 120. It would have been close, but I suspect that your cooler would have lost.

litlrabi

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2008
Also, keep in mind in the original post, the TRUE was not set up with a fan, just as a passive sink. While out of the box it isn't the best, it is up there when you add in the moving air.

goodie

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2007

this article rates the T.R.U.E 9th out of present coolers!? WTF
Q6600 only overclocked to 3.3ghz

goodie

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2007

according to those comparisons the ultra 120 performs better than the ultra 120 extreme!!!???

dagger

Splendid
Mar 23, 2008

Yep, they're basically the same, except the "extreme" edition got the round base.

dagger

Splendid
Mar 23, 2008

Their fan is fine. It's the round base. Remember, the non "extreme" edition is the exactly the same, minus a few heatpipes and the rounded base. And it's not low, still among the best, despite the handicap.