How to get my laptop to have more RAM

I have an older (purchased in January 2008 - so it's technologically ancient)Toshiba Satellite A205. It runs Windows Vista Home Premium 32 bit. I've tried to add memory up to 3GB (because I know you have to have a 64 bit OS to access more than 3GB RAM) but the system still doesn't recognize the memory. I've checked and the memory cards/sticks are the exact same as installed in the factory. So I looked in the manual. Apparently, the max RAM is only 2GB. So, my question is:

Is there anything I can do so that it can accept more than 2GB RAM? If I upgrade to a 64 bit OS, will that make any difference? I was told by a friend that I needed to change somethings in the BIOS or something. Please help - and the more detailed the instructions, the better. I'm not a total moron when it comes to technology but I've never done anything like this before. If I'm given detailed instructions, I'm sure I can do it on my own. Thanks so much!
4 answers Last reply
More about laptop
  1. Apparently the MB chipset will support a maximum 2 GB RAM. Check the specs of the laptop on the online product page.
  2. Ok, thanks. Here's what the specs are on the Toshiba website:

Operating System C1 2

Genuine Windows Vista® Home Premium (32-bit version)
    Processor and Chipset3

Intel® Pentium® Dual-Core processor T2330
    o
    1.60GHz, 1 MB L2, 533MHz FSB

Mobile Intel® GL960 Express Chipset
    Memory4

Configured with 2048MB PC5300 DDR2 SDRAM (both memory slots may be occupied). Maximum capacity 2048MB

So - what next? Should I upgrade to a new chipset?
  3. Get a new laptop. You can't upgrade the chipset!

Grumpy
  4. china_cat84 said:
    Ok, thanks. Here's what the specs are on the Toshiba website:

Operating System C1 2

Genuine Windows Vista® Home Premium (32-bit version)
    Processor and Chipset3

Intel® Pentium® Dual-Core processor T2330
    o
    1.60GHz, 1 MB L2, 533MHz FSB

Mobile Intel® GL960 Express Chipset
    Memory4

Configured with 2048MB PC5300 DDR2 SDRAM (both memory slots may be occupied). Maximum capacity 2048MB

So - what next? Should I upgrade to a new chipset?

Your out of luck. The memory is at max!
Ask a new question

Read More

Configuration RAM Memory Windows Vista