iPAQ 4155 or Tungsten T-3???

June 1, 2004 12:55:20 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.handhelds (More info?)

iPAQ 4155 or Tungsten T-3???

Has anyone ever compared these two machines side-by-side? Do you have
a recommendation?

I'm replacing my venerable old Palm Vx. I've weighed all the options,
and I've narrowed the field down to these two candidates: the iPAQ
4150/4155 and the Tungsten T-3. But I'll be darned if I can choose
from between the two.

The iPAQ is lighter and smaller, has a Windoze-style file manager, and
it also has both 802.11b and Bluetooth. The Tungsten T-3 has only
Bluetooth, but it has Docs to Go professional included--my primary use
for the new handheld will be editing my lectures on PowerPoint.

As it stands, I like them both equally. I've looked at every detail I
could, and I can't choose between the two! The way it sits right now,
I'm probably going to choose the Tungsten T-3, based on the fact that
I don't like the iPAQ stylus! That, and the fact that I've been using
Palm for a long time now, and wouldn't need to learn a new OS.

So that's where I'm at. Any help?

PLStepp (the Professor!)

More about : ipaq 4155 tungsten

Anonymous
June 7, 2004 5:32:00 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.handhelds (More info?)

Dear PLStepp:

I would personally recommend the iPAQ. It is, yes, like Windows in the
way that it has the Windows-like File Explorer. There is a "keyboard" for
the 4150 that goes on the bottom of it; find out more at

http://h30143.www3.hp.com/options.cfm?oid=215381&from=e....

Anyway, Pocket PC, unlike Handheld PC 2000, does not have pocket
versions of PowerPoint and Access, but there are 3rd-party (non-Microsoft in
this case) alternatives. Fortunately, Pocket PC comes with pocket versions
of Word (no tables, though) and Excel, but, if needed, there are still
alternatives. Pocket PC also comes with a not very integrated "Pocket
Outlook" with Calendar, Contacts, Inbox, Notes (with recording and
handwriting capability), and Tasks. The Pocket PC, instead of a Desktop, has
a Today screen with the days appoiintments, tasks, and MUCH more.

Pocket PC is somewhat like Windows in that:
- It has a Start menu.
- It has a Run dialog (reply to me to learn how to get to that).
- Once again, it has a file browser.
- It comes with Solitare.
And, finally,
- It comes with Internet Explorer.
Pocket PC, however, does not run full Windows programs.

* * *

If you need something simpler, THEN I would recommend the Tungsten.

Sincerely,
Anonymous
=======================================

"PLStepp" <plstepp@juno.com> wrote in message
> iPAQ 4155 or Tungsten T-3???
>
> Has anyone ever compared these two machines side-by-side? Do you have
> a recommendation?
>
> I'm replacing my venerable old Palm Vx. I've weighed all the options,
> and I've narrowed the field down to these two candidates: the iPAQ
> 4150/4155 and the Tungsten T-3. But I'll be darned if I can choose
> from between the two.
>
> The iPAQ is lighter and smaller, has a Windoze-style file manager, and
> it also has both 802.11b and Bluetooth. The Tungsten T-3 has only
> Bluetooth, but it has Docs to Go professional included--my primary use
> for the new handheld will be editing my lectures on PowerPoint.
>
> As it stands, I like them both equally. I've looked at every detail I
> could, and I can't choose between the two! The way it sits right now,
> I'm probably going to choose the Tungsten T-3, based on the fact that
> I don't like the iPAQ stylus! That, and the fact that I've been using
> Palm for a long time now, and wouldn't need to learn a new OS.
>
> So that's where I'm at. Any help?
>
> PLStepp (the Professor!)
Anonymous
June 8, 2004 12:32:46 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.handhelds (More info?)

I upgraded a few months ago from the Palm V to the 4150. I chose the
4150 because of the integrated wireless and I really like the machine,
it's great. At the time, and maybe still there was not a wireless
card available for the T-3. There is a big change going from Palm to
PocketPC. The pocketpc is not as easy to use, gone are the days of /L
to link an appointment directly to a contact. It's a mess moving all
of your information from notes, and contacts from the palm to the
pocket pc. You'll have to hunt around to find the right add in's just
to put icons for single tap program access and battery status right on
your today screen. There is no palm desktop counterpart for the PPC.
If you don't need wireless, the T-3 is for you. If you do, I'd wait
for the T-3 replacement with integrated wireless. If you are hungry
for a challenge, the IPAQ is a great pda.

good luck,

plstepp@juno.com (PLStepp) wrote in message news:<33217377.0405311955.708b8dc2@posting.google.com>...
> iPAQ 4155 or Tungsten T-3???
>
> Has anyone ever compared these two machines side-by-side? Do you have
> a recommendation?
>
> I'm replacing my venerable old Palm Vx. I've weighed all the options,
> and I've narrowed the field down to these two candidates: the iPAQ
> 4150/4155 and the Tungsten T-3. But I'll be darned if I can choose
> from between the two.
>
> The iPAQ is lighter and smaller, has a Windoze-style file manager, and
> it also has both 802.11b and Bluetooth. The Tungsten T-3 has only
> Bluetooth, but it has Docs to Go professional included--my primary use
> for the new handheld will be editing my lectures on PowerPoint.
>
> As it stands, I like them both equally. I've looked at every detail I
> could, and I can't choose between the two! The way it sits right now,
> I'm probably going to choose the Tungsten T-3, based on the fact that
> I don't like the iPAQ stylus! That, and the fact that I've been using
> Palm for a long time now, and wouldn't need to learn a new OS.
>
> So that's where I'm at. Any help?
>
> PLStepp (the Professor!)
Anonymous
June 9, 2004 2:21:44 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.handhelds (More info?)

On 7 Jun 2004 20:32:46 -0700
Trent Sams ( trentsams@email.com )
wrote

>snip
> There is no palm desktop counterpart for the PPC.

Yes there is. It's called Microsoft Windows XP.
!