Need help IDing the name of this virus (its killing my OS)

arkitech

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2007
One of the sites that I visit (or should I say use to visit after this latest virus) has really screwed up my OS. I've tried running Adaware and Malwarebytes but they get shut down while scanning and corrupted. When I try to run online scanners the virus won't let me update Java, I end up with 2502 and 2503 errors. Also when in IE if I try to search for anything I get redirected to other suspicious looking search engines and websites (this does'nt happen in firefox). If I could just put a name to this virus I could probably find a fix for it. Anyone have a clue what the name of this virus is?

btk1w1

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2008
Download HiJackThis (HJT) to your desktop, but before you download it, rename the HJTInstall.exe to scan.exe:

http://www.trendsecure.com/portal/en-US/_download/HJTInstall.exe

Once downloaded to the desktop, right click scan.exe and run as administrator.

Once installed, don't scan, instead close out of the program.

Now navigate to:

C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\HijackThis and rename HijackThis.exe to scan.exe

While you are in the C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\HijackThis folder right click scan.exe and run as administrator.

When the program opens click on the "Do a system scan and save a logfile" button.

Once the logfile has been created copy and paste the contents back here so they can be analysed. Hopefully it will reveal and ID any nasties that are lurking on the system.

This method may not work as there are malware written to hide themselves from a HJT scan, but the process of renaming often circumvents this.