Your question

Anybody's kind and rich enough

Tags:
  • Homebuilt
  • Computer
  • Systems
  • Product
Last response: in Systems

Are you willing to give/ donate your old hardware?

Total: 102 votes

• Yes, and I''ll pay for shipping even it''s oversea
  • 4 %
  • Yes, but I''ll pay for domestic shipping only
  • 2 %
  • Yes, but the recipient have to pay for shipping
  • 17 %
  • No, I don''t freakin bother about some stranger begging for something
  • 78 %
June 3, 2007 4:03:07 PM

Hello to all

I know this not somewhere I can beg for something (material), but still... :oops: 

I was introduced to this forum by a friend. The first one i read was someone was giving away a 7900GS, so, is there anybody kind enough to donate/ give old, working system, but not too old, something like AMD S939/AM2/ Intel P4/PD with PCIe gfx card, DDR/DDR2 ram. Currently I'm using my friend's computer, he's sleeping

The cause I do all of this is, I'm kind of computer addicted, but the problem is, with monthly salary roughly USD153.00, it's taking too long for me to have my own system. I don't want to talk about my stuly loan debt, too much to elaborate. And since my salary too low, I can't have a credit card/ bank account that can have online transaction. I 'demanded' for a not too old system because I'm afraid my upgrade path would be too limited, a limited path won't be too much problem since PentiumD/ AM2 rig currently still rules

I just want to have my own computer so I won't be a bother to my friend, plus I want to learn do something I wouldn't dare to do on his PC, such as OCing, doing some multimedia works (video file conversion) etc (i just do some typing, browse the internet and listen to songs/ watch vclips/movies)

One problem that might arise though, I can't afford to pay for shipping either :(  . I only have a hard drive (waited for several month to buy it; I keep my songs and works there) and a DVD-ROM (kind of shared money to buy it), so anybody's kind enough to give me anything, they won't have to give the hard drive.

So, anybody, please...I know there's a lot of people currently have more than 1 computer in their possession, so please...I can't return anything to, just a simple 'thank you' that I can afford...

More about : kind rich

June 3, 2007 4:37:03 PM

Simple (although somewhat fraudulent) way to get a cheap computer. :twisted:

This requires that you have a small amount of money though, so you may need to save up.

1. Find a dead part on ebay or whatever

2. Check it is available new from somewhere

3. Buy both the dead part and the new one (bit that requires money)

4. RMA the dead part as the new one for a refund. Keep the new one.

5. Repeat until you have a whole PC.

I haven't done this myself, but my mate has a nice shiny quad core using this method. Cost him £15.

Think of it as a student discount.
June 3, 2007 4:58:14 PM

Some componants have serial numbers and other identification so if the company you RMA it to has the sense to check it then you may get caught, plus you have the moral implicatons of effectively stealing the parts.
Related resources
June 3, 2007 5:00:58 PM

Quote:
i ain't joking.

Pity, I was. I was serious about one thing though, your best bet would be to just save up.
June 4, 2007 1:36:14 AM

?
June 4, 2007 2:02:10 AM

Will you suck my c0ck first?
June 4, 2007 2:37:48 AM

how do we know your not lying?
June 4, 2007 2:39:08 AM

Haha, I'm loving that results chart. (I chose the no option :D  )

Sorry mate but that fact is if you can't afford good hardware, chances are your not gonna get it. You shouldn't have any trouble getting a single core Athlon 64 or a P4 on the cheap, and they'll get you by.
June 4, 2007 2:42:20 AM

Quote:

This requires that you have a small amount of money though, so you may need to save up.

I haven't done this myself, but my mate has a nice shiny quad core using this method. Cost him £15.

What a sick firetrucking joke.
June 4, 2007 2:45:30 AM

Moore's Law.......Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
June 4, 2007 2:47:48 AM

no wonder there's all the restocking fees gotta pay for quad core processors from idiots who abuse the system.
June 4, 2007 2:49:06 AM

double post sorry
June 4, 2007 5:17:26 AM

Sure, I got some stuff I can send you, just send me your address and a wish list, and I will do my best to accommodate you.

I also have a second car, a PS3, and a vacation home I would be willing to part with.
June 4, 2007 5:48:59 AM

To hergieburbur, if you really mean it (not joking or trying to do something bad to me), then thank you a lot

Quote:

That's my story. I could've cooked up something deeper and more convincing, but that's lying. I've been saving some money, but usually there's something will happen that needed me to use the money. Also, at my area, computer parts are generally priced higher than the one sold at the capital city.Plus, like I have stated, my monthly salary is about USD 153.00. My rent house is about USD25.00, not including utilitiy bills. I have to eat too...my study loan currently is USD6681.00 (I do have a diploma, but my job application were always rejected because when I was studying, the syllibus were old and didn't match what the industries wanted, so I ended up learning unneeded thing and didn't learn needed things)
June 4, 2007 6:52:39 AM

Quote:

I don't think he was joking. This is not the tone of a joke, at least in my opinion. Generally jokes have an element that makes them implausible, or at least some kind of :lol:  at the end. I think he backpedaled when he found out we don't approve of this conduct.

I could be wrong though, and I hope I am.
June 4, 2007 6:40:54 PM

Quote:

...Your my hero. I HAVE to try that!
June 4, 2007 6:52:04 PM

Quote:

...Your my hero. I HAVE to try that!

LOL.. that's ace :)  way to lighten the mood proof :D 
June 4, 2007 6:59:06 PM

Quote:

Absolutely.
June 4, 2007 7:39:48 PM

The guy that gave away a 7900gs out of the goodness of his heart and you ask for not even anything but specifically a quite good s939 machine. I'm still running a socket 939 machine, it's not exactly crap. It just amazes me that you ask for a specific thing, this isn't father christmas's grotto; I'm a student and I pay for ugrades with the money I earn from a job. You're telling me that you can't get a job in wallmart, cos I got one in ASDA (owned by Wallmart in Uk). If you want charity perhaps you should rely on the phrase "beggars can't be choosers" My bro is 24 and he's still got a socket 754 machine so don't be greedy.
Now to really approach the issue, try local dumps and things as people will throw away perfectly good hardware once they get new machines. Not sure about US laws about taking stuff but in the UK they'll sell you stuff for like 10 quid or something. Then build yourself a machine with the stuff that you find. It's what I did untill I had enough money, for many years I relied on salvage parts.
June 4, 2007 7:52:35 PM

Quote:

Absolutely.

Best. Reply. Ever. 8O
June 4, 2007 8:03:01 PM

The thing that annoys me about what you're asking is that you're basically just panhandling here. Worse yet, you're begging for something that really is a luxury, not something you, or anyone else for matter needs to live. This would be like me asking Bill Gates to pay off my house for me. He could afford to do it without blinking but somehow I doubt he would and I wouldn't even have the balls to ask!
The system you want is somewhat comparable to my own and while I could afford a better setup if I felt it was neccesary, I do have more important things to spend my money on. At least it sounds like you get enough to get along in life and just the fact that you even have access to a computer to post this, shows that you're not as bad off as you think.
Really, if I felt the need to give out charity to the less fortunate in the 3rd world, it'd be to get truly needy people fed and clothed, not to make sure you have a decent computer to play with!
June 4, 2007 8:18:42 PM

sorry, doubble post.
June 4, 2007 8:20:42 PM

Quote:

I don't think he was joking. This is not the tone of a joke, at least in my opinion. Generally jokes have an element that makes them implausible, or at least some kind of :lol:  at the end. I think he backpedaled when he found out we don't approve of this conduct.

I could be wrong though, and I hope I am.

I was so surprised to hear negativity and people expressing their disgust to an idea like this. As if you've never done anything illegal or deceitful yourself.

Sure it's low, but it's a good idea, and it's not like Nvidia, ATI or Intel are hard up for cash, they're swimming in it.

I bet you (the people who expressed their disgust to Claig's idea) have loads of music, films, games and software on your machine that you downloaded off the net for free. Well think of how much effort was put into he creation, development and marketing of all that stuff.

Don't pretend or act like you seriously think that's a sick joke, because you're just as bad when you think about it. I don't actually know a single person who doesn't download software, games, movies or music off the internet for free via torrents, P2P networks or anything of that sort.

I bet you do too, and you're just as bad and have no place to say that's such a sick joke as though you would never do anything as bad.
June 4, 2007 8:39:14 PM

reminds me of that 70's saying, my brothers used to say it, no me,....

No ass, no grass...no free ride. :!:
June 4, 2007 8:49:22 PM

How the thread has made it this far boggles the mind.
June 4, 2007 8:49:38 PM

See, I always thought it was: "Ass, grass or gas. Nobody rides for free." But what do I know? I'm only 22 and heard about that in some history class. :D  :D 
June 4, 2007 8:52:02 PM

Has everyone seen my newest review? :D 
June 4, 2007 8:52:10 PM

I'm pretty sure Duke Nukem said

"Your face, your ass, what's the difference?"
June 4, 2007 9:06:33 PM

To be honest the people that get hurt in this are the smaller online e-tailers, AMD and Intel have already taken the money so it is harsh to RMA fake components.
June 4, 2007 9:18:01 PM

Oh, get over yourself! Why don't you try pulling your head out of your @ss and then come and post in this thread again. You are a self-serving, narcissistic, pompous asshole.
June 4, 2007 9:31:31 PM

Quote:
i can not believe you would try to use the "everyone does it" excuse.

Not really sure wtf you're going on about here. You want to quote me saying "everyone does it". I didn't try to use that 'excuse' at all. I was merely pointing out that huge amounts of people download software, games, films and music off the web for free, It's even been in the news over the years (and still is) for christ sakes, OPEN YOUR FREAKING EYES (and don't be so closed-minded and ignorant)

Quote:
it's like one time on a daytime chat show dicussing prostitution, one guy stands up and tries to justify himself using whores by asking people in the audience if they have or not. no one put their hand up. not because they were lying but because they didn't.

That is the dumbest comparison/analogy/example I've ever encountered... and I'd feel bad dignifying it with any response but this:

Why don't you just go screw a cactus for 5 minutes?

The fact is that vast numbers of people have (and still do) download media off the web illegally, as I said before, its been in the news over the years and still is.

Quote:
i would hope noe one herre would put their hand up to this but judging by scum such as yourself i am wrong.

Wow, wait... scum such as myself? No where in my post did I say I got involved with illegal transactions over the web, nor did I say I encouraged it, the fact that you assumed it just makes you look like a complete idiot.

Quote:
you disgust me. admitting dishonesty like that show the worthless excuse of a human being you are. if you were a strong person you would do the right thing but you are weak and pathetic.

Holy crap... hold on... let me go get that guy from A Beautiful Mind, the kid from Mercury Rising or some other mentally super retarded kid that's somehow good at math to help me figure out the hyper-negatives in that sentence.
Again, what's this all about? No where in my post did I say I get involved with the illegal transactions of multimedia such as games, music or film downloading. I might have implied it, but there is a world of difference between the two.

You're queer, to call you a retard would be a compliment and would bring down the reputation of true special needs people. I disrespect you because you disrespect me (and for no apparent reason). You need to pay more attention to what's going on around you, maybe watch the news every once in a while.
June 4, 2007 9:41:28 PM

Quote:
Why don't you just go screw a cactus for 5 minutes?

Well, 4 minutes and 15 seconds into it I realized you were not talking to me.

Anyway, will you marry me?
June 4, 2007 9:47:01 PM

Quote:
will you marry me?

Absolutely.
June 4, 2007 10:03:07 PM

lol
June 4, 2007 10:08:40 PM

Quote:
I bet you (the people who expressed their disgust to Claig's idea)

nope, you imlied that i and others do this too and that we were hypocrites. i took offense to that.

you also in your post tried to imply that practically everyone does it and that somehow justifies it. whislt you were careful not to put it in words that you also did it. you did not condone it. i have a feeling you use illegal copies of things all the time and know fine well you are committing a crime.

why try and make us accomplices? why do you need to feel everyone is as bad as you.

I have never in my life purchased a single piece of software and I own:

Microsoft Windows Server 2003 Enterprise x32
Microsoft Windows Server 2003 Enterprise x64
Microsoft Windows XP Professional x32
Microsoft Windows XP Professional x64
Microsoft Windows Vista Ultimate x32
Microsoft Windows Vista Ultimate x64
Mac OS X Panther
Mac OS X Tiger
Mac OS X Leapord
Red Hat Enterprise Linux
Microsoft Office 2003
Microsoft Office 2007
All FutureMark products

And that is just to name a few. I also have over 20GB of music from LimeWire and countless DVDs from bittorrent.
June 4, 2007 10:29:47 PM

I vote for thread lock, this is doing no good for anyone.
June 4, 2007 10:30:26 PM

I do have a Gigabyte 915G(no need for video card, has integrated video card) mobo with a P4 640, i be willing to donate, but you would have to pay for shipping, i am in Maryland U.S.
P.M. me if you want it.
June 4, 2007 10:34:28 PM

Quote:

Well, there is one way for this to be perfectly legal and a win-win sitch. If the dead part was under warranty and for some reason the person listing it on ebay didn't know how to didn't want to bother with the warranty, then the buyer can RMA it. However, this would only work on cheap items where selling off a dead part is more cost efficient than to pay for shipping back, and the time/fustrations spent. So unless you can find a 3.0P4, and a gforce4mx dead and under warranty....eh, you'll have better luck with the lotto. :lol: 
June 4, 2007 10:40:58 PM

Quote:
I do have a Gigabyte 915G(no need for video card, has integrated video card) mobo with a P4 640, i be willing to donate, but you would have to pay for shipping, i am in Maryland U.S.
P.M. me if you want it.

Take the deal. It's a good system. And if you are really really determined, you can do the "one red paperclip thing:http://oneredpaperclip.blogspot.com/". Basically keep trading up. You might need to spend a lottt of money on shipping though...
June 4, 2007 10:59:10 PM

Quote:
To hergieburbur, if you really mean it (not joking or trying to do something bad to me), then thank you a lot

That's my story. I could've cooked up something deeper and more convincing, but that's lying. I've been saving some money, but usually there's something will happen that needed me to use the money. Also, at my area, computer parts are generally priced higher than the one sold at the capital city.Plus, like I have stated, my monthly salary is about USD 153.00. My rent house is about USD25.00, not including utilitiy bills. I have to eat too...my study loan currently is USD6681.00 (I do have a diploma, but my job application were always rejected because when I was studying, the syllibus were old and didn't match what the industries wanted, so I ended up learning unneeded thing and didn't learn needed things)

25 bucks a month vs my $1150.
Good grief I wish i lived there, and made what I do now.

Anyway, I agree with the whole begging. I think it would be better to request unused hard to sell parts for super cheap (aka you get an older computer 754 or so), and pay not so much, but you do pay.

As for the buying broken parts on ebay and returning them:
This is a gray area and it depends how you do it.
You are in your rights to buy a broken part still under manufactures warranty and send it in. You are not cheating anyone since they got their cash.
June 4, 2007 11:12:08 PM

[quote="Emtiph

I was so surprised to hear negativity and people expressing their disgust to an idea like this. As if you've never done anything illegal or deceitful yourself. ......

I bet you (the people who expressed their disgust to Claig's idea) have loads of music, films, games and software on your machine that you downloaded off the net for free. Well think of how much effort was put into he creation, development and marketing of all that stuff.

Don't pretend or act like you seriously think that's a sick joke, because you're just as bad when you think about it. I don't actually know a single person who doesn't download software, games, movies or music off the internet for free via torrents, P2P networks or anything of that sort.

I bet you do too, and you're just as bad and have no place to say that's such a sick joke as though you would never do anything as bad.[/quote]

The who, what, when and how I have cheated on fill-in-the-blank is not a subject that I normally openly discussed. Am I perfect? Gosh darn no. I have looked at a woman who is not my wife with lust in my heart. I have view p_rn. Some of my p_rn was viewed in a forum, and was most likely illegally posted in the forum. Oh, and when I was 12 I looked over the fence and watched a movie on the drive-in movie theater.

Confession over. That is all I have done.

Back the original illegal activity. Forget about the manufacturer, just view the suggestion from the perspective of the vendor.

The vendor sold the product and pocketed a modest profit. That profit will disappear in seconds when the "customer" returns a "defective" part. Maybe the vendor will attempt to return the part to the manufacturer. That is a weak maybe. Maybe the vendor will recover some or all of their money. Maybe. In most cases the terms of the manufacturer-vendor aggreement will require the vendor to handle and absorb any defective products as part of the discount incentives offered to the vendor. The vendor is free to repair the item and attempt to sell the item through other venues, except we have already determined that the item can not be repaired. Bottom line the vendor eats the cost of the item, and next month you me and the fence post will pay higher prices for our own purchases.

Yep, a real good situation.
June 5, 2007 12:06:16 AM

Quote:
i do hope your joking.

Of course he's NOT joking.

By the way? What's more stupid than pirating illegal software/music? Doing it then admitting on a public forum that logs IP information that you did it.
June 5, 2007 12:08:39 AM

On a side note, you seem more harsh than you did when I first joined the forums, Stranger. Are you on edge these days? :D  :D 
June 5, 2007 12:28:00 AM

Open your eyes fool.
June 5, 2007 12:38:15 AM

Quote:
Open your eyes fool.

Why are people flipping out on Stranger because he's like "stealing is bad, mmmk"? I seriously don't understand this.
June 5, 2007 12:54:42 AM

Because he's being ignorant, and close minded.
June 5, 2007 1:03:07 AM

Wow, guys, I'm amazed some of you have made such a big thing of this.

A couple of things:

Downloading movies/music/etc off the pirate networks may be a criminal offence in your country, but not in mine. However, profiting financially from it is (difficult, since few will buy pirate stuff over here).

As I mentioned in my post, it is FRAUDULENT to send back different parts. However, anyone who thinks for a second that doing so raises prices is simply delusional. I mean, Stranger, were you bitten by a rabid fraudster as a child? Why all the hate?

Oh, and Proof, I see you are one of those wise individuals who realise free software=more money to spend on other stuff, like a top end SLI rig 8O
June 5, 2007 1:09:25 AM

Quote:
Because he's being ignorant, and close minded.

And again you fail to articulate your point. :roll:

Quote:
As I mentioned in my post, it is FRAUDULENT to send back different parts. However, anyone who thinks for a second that doing so raises prices is simply delusional. I mean, Stranger, were you bitten by a rabid fraudster as a child? Why all the hate?

Of COURSE fraud raises the price of components. It's like in a supermarket... they have to mark prices up enough to compensate for x number of stolen items. Whether or not the GPU manufacturers are compensating knowingly or not doesn't matter. The bottom line is: they are looking out for their bottom line, and they will compensate if profits drop. That's what Stranger's logic was. Make sense?
June 5, 2007 1:20:57 AM

Quote:
i do hope your joking.

Not even a little.
June 5, 2007 1:21:51 AM

+1 for me
      • 1 / 3
      • Newest
!