2 or 3gb of ram for vista premium?

dgriffs

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2008
My family wants to get a new laptop. We want something that will last a while. Im choosing to get vista home premium so that we get a free upgrade to 7 when it comes out. The laptop comes with 2gb of ram but we can get 3 gigs for about $30 more. Will the extra gb be worth it? I cant stand using a slow computer especially if ill be multitasking or playing WoW a lot.

dmroeder

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2005
For $30, I'd get it. Although I will say that depending on what you will be doing with it, it may not be necessary. What will your family be doing with it?

I had home premium on my desktop with 1 gig for about 6 months. I then added another gig (for 2 total) and didn't notice a difference. I do some light gaming and photo editing. It's not uncommon for me to be listening to music, have web pages open and some photo editing software.

I think what is more important than having epic amounts of RAM is just basic maintenance. Keeping it virus/spyware free and minimizing unnecessary processes at startup.

--------------------

The OS is x64? or 32bits..and the upgrade is x64 or 32bits...if the answer is "yes" buy the laptop with 3GB or more if you can...if isn't 2Gb is good.