Sign in with
Your question

Will my company admin know if I remove Norton?

Last response: in Applications
May 20, 2010 12:25:44 AM

My company recently required some software be installed on my laptop so I could access their network and drives. Unfortunately, they also require all users of their network to have corporate Symantec AV installed. I pleaded with them not to install it, but I had no choice. Needless to say it's a total resource hog, and it also let a "Fake AV" malware/virus through a week ago. Anyway, if I uninstall, and then try to log on to their server at the office, do you think my company network has any way of knowing it's not on my pc? Will they be able to "detect" remotely through the network that it's not there?

I guess my issue is this - if I remove it and then tomorrow try to log on, and for some reason it says I can't because I don't have Norton installed/running, I may have to pay $$ for a tech to come to our branch and reinstall it on my laptop again.

May 20, 2010 4:27:36 PM

Well of course they could know, but it depends on whether they're that keen on knowing or not. Why don't you just ask your boss? And you wouldn't have to pay someone to reinstall it for you. You should be able to do that yourself easy enough, even if you can't log in. You may have to have another employee or something like that do it for you if you're not too computer savvy. But I would just ask your boss about it.
August 8, 2010 3:57:14 PM

sargent d said:
My company recently required some software be installed on my laptop so I could access their network and drives. Unfortunately, they also require all users of their network to have corporate Symantec AV installed. I pleaded with them not to install it, but I had no choice. Needless to say it's a total resource hog, and it also let a "Fake AV" malware/virus through a week ago. Anyway, if I uninstall, and then try to log on to their server at the office, do you think my company network has any way of knowing it's not on my pc? Will they be able to "detect" remotely through the network that it's not there?

I guess my issue is this - if I remove it and then tomorrow try to log on, and for some reason it says I can't because I don't have Norton installed/running, I may have to pay $$ for a tech to come to our branch and reinstall it on my laptop again.

If they have set priviledges and limited user accounts, you won't be able to uninstall! If your able to uninstall and still log on to the domain network, the admistrator should be able to see some events pop up that your norton anti-virus hasn't loaded and an error occured! This leads your system adminstrator to check out your system and reinstall the software! Don't let the guy go through that stuff cause he does alot of paperwork! Let him know and ask him, your bring the fear upon him that a virus is possible knocking out symantec causing him to do a lot of research and product testing! Worst case scenario you get in trouble tell him you have secret level clarence and were testing out the company as a M.I. Agent to see what happens with corporate espionage, and see if they upgrade you to ethical hacker! Also helps to wear an Alien hat!
August 9, 2010 3:00:46 AM

I sometimes monitor the Symantec AV server at my work, and it has a date of last check-in for each computer. If it hasn't checked in recently, we check it out. But also note that Symantec AV's uninstall can (and should) also be password protected. There are ways around the password protection, but that still leaves the fact that they would know if it wasn't functioning properly anymore.

Unfortunately, the only way I see of getting around this is through an appeal to your boss or the IT department in your company.
!