HDTV sets & non-HD TV programs

Last response: in Home Theatre
January 21, 2005 2:18:54 PM

Sorry fellas. Newbie question here.

Been looking at the Sony KV34HS420 HD ready CRT TV and it seems like the
non HD TV station reception (4:3 aspect ratio) is grainy and not so
cleanly reproduced as on a standard 27 inch CRT (Non HD) TV. Hook-up
to the Sony is via a HD digital cable (Motorola) set top box and
component cables.

Seems to me I had a much cleaner (less noise) picture for standard
television programs on the 27 inch CRT TV set.

So my question is this. When one watches a non HD station on the Sony
HD ready KV34HS420 the tv pricture produced is 16 inches high by 22
inches wide. When I watch the same program on my 27 inch non HD TV
(hooked up to the same CATV cable), the picture is the same size 16
inches high by 22 inches wide.

But the standard tv picture looks cleaner (less noise) on the older set
than the modern HDTV ready set.

Why is this? Thank you.

Havner

More about : hdtv sets programs

Anonymous
January 21, 2005 11:33:58 PM

As a general rule, SDTV looks worse, at the same picture size, on an HDTV
set than it would on a standard SD TV. The HDTV picks up every imperfection
in the picture and amplifies it. One of the trade-offs you have to make
with an HDTV set is that your SD channels and programs are going to look
worse.

That having been said, SD signals are not all alike. Some SD signals, such
as those from HBO, are quite good. As you browse through SD channels, you
will see an extremely wide variation in what the picture looks like on your
HDTV screen.

mack
austin

"Mike Chew" <bobsmike@webtv.net> wrote in message
> Sorry fellas. Newbie question here.
>
> Been looking at the Sony KV34HS420 HD ready CRT TV and it seems like the
> non HD TV station reception (4:3 aspect ratio) is grainy and not so
> cleanly reproduced as on a standard 27 inch CRT (Non HD) TV. Hook-up
> to the Sony is via a HD digital cable (Motorola) set top box and
> component cables.
>
> Seems to me I had a much cleaner (less noise) picture for standard
> television programs on the 27 inch CRT TV set.
>
> So my question is this. When one watches a non HD station on the Sony
> HD ready KV34HS420 the tv pricture produced is 16 inches high by 22
> inches wide. When I watch the same program on my 27 inch non HD TV
> (hooked up to the same CATV cable), the picture is the same size 16
> inches high by 22 inches wide.
>
> But the standard tv picture looks cleaner (less noise) on the older set
> than the modern HDTV ready set.
>
> Why is this? Thank you.
>

> Havner

Anonymous
January 22, 2005 3:19:10 AM

Rumor has it the trick to getting good looking SD on HDTV sets (esp
Sony CRT sets) is to have high signal strength. Not just high, but
very high. If you use cable, clean up the source and add a high
quality line amplifier.
January 22, 2005 6:46:00 PM

"Mike Chew" <bobsmike@webtv.net> wrote in message
> Sorry fellas. Newbie question here.
>
> Been looking at the Sony KV34HS420 HD ready CRT TV and it seems like the
> non HD TV station reception (4:3 aspect ratio) is grainy and not so
> cleanly reproduced as on a standard 27 inch CRT (Non HD) TV. Hook-up
> to the Sony is via a HD digital cable (Motorola) set top box and
> component cables.
>
> Seems to me I had a much cleaner (less noise) picture for standard
> television programs on the 27 inch CRT TV set.
>
> So my question is this. When one watches a non HD station on the Sony
> HD ready KV34HS420 the tv pricture produced is 16 inches high by 22
> inches wide. When I watch the same program on my 27 inch non HD TV
> (hooked up to the same CATV cable), the picture is the same size 16
> inches high by 22 inches wide.
>
> But the standard tv picture looks cleaner (less noise) on the older set
> than the modern HDTV ready set.
>
> Why is this? Thank you.

Besides the TV as a possible cause, you might want to look at the tuner. I
have heard that the digital (HD) tuners provided by cable and satellite
companies often seem to do a poor job of tuning in SD channels. Using an
integrated tuner or cable card seems to work better, though others could
give more detail far better than I on what you'd need to do.
Anonymous
January 22, 2005 7:47:14 PM

if I am understanding you, you are just shopping now, you dont own the tv as
of yet.....right ??...consider the source or where you are viewing this tv
meaning at a Best Buy type store with many sets hooked on the same
source.....there in would be the problem of bad imaging....I bought this tv
but with the HD receiver built in....it is the best picture I have ever seen
in all formats including OTA (over the air) HD, local OTA by a 20 dollar
roof antenna....the download off standard Dish receiver is very clean
also....all my friends with larger DLP or projection tvs say this set gives
a much better image than theirs....they are so jealous.....it has to do with
the ability of the set to show blacks in a natural state.....If you live
near a big city with good HDTV channels like here in Dallas, pay the extra
and get the HD tuner and receive local programming in beautiful HD.....we
have yet to even consider get a Dish HD receiver at a 1000 dollar
addon.....Super Bowl in HD for free !!! Good luck on your purchase, you
really cant go wrong with your set, only the signal source....

"Mike Chew" <bobsmike@webtv.net> wrote in message
> Sorry fellas. Newbie question here.
>
> Been looking at the Sony KV34HS420 HD ready CRT TV and it seems like the
> non HD TV station reception (4:3 aspect ratio) is grainy and not so
> cleanly reproduced as on a standard 27 inch CRT (Non HD) TV. Hook-up
> to the Sony is via a HD digital cable (Motorola) set top box and
> component cables.
>
> Seems to me I had a much cleaner (less noise) picture for standard
> television programs on the 27 inch CRT TV set.
>
> So my question is this. When one watches a non HD station on the Sony
> HD ready KV34HS420 the tv pricture produced is 16 inches high by 22
> inches wide. When I watch the same program on my 27 inch non HD TV
> (hooked up to the same CATV cable), the picture is the same size 16
> inches high by 22 inches wide.
>
> But the standard tv picture looks cleaner (less noise) on the older set
> than the modern HDTV ready set.
>
> Why is this? Thank you.
>

> Havner

Anonymous
January 25, 2005 1:20:20 AM

"Mike Chew" <bobsmike@webtv.net> wrote in message
> Sorry fellas. Newbie question here.
>
> Been looking at the Sony KV34HS420 HD ready CRT TV and it seems like the
> non HD TV station reception (4:3 aspect ratio) is grainy and not so
> cleanly reproduced as on a standard 27 inch CRT (Non HD) TV. Hook-up
> to the Sony is via a HD digital cable (Motorola) set top box and
> component cables.
>
> Seems to me I had a much cleaner (less noise) picture for standard
> television programs on the 27 inch CRT TV set.
>
> So my question is this. When one watches a non HD station on the Sony
> HD ready KV34HS420 the tv pricture produced is 16 inches high by 22
> inches wide. When I watch the same program on my 27 inch non HD TV
> (hooked up to the same CATV cable), the picture is the same size 16
> inches high by 22 inches wide.
>
> But the standard tv picture looks cleaner (less noise) on the older set
> than the modern HDTV ready set.

My advice is as follows. I've given it before so some may wish to ignore.
It's not a very technical reply, but more philosophical You can go thru all
kinds of machinations to get sd to look decent on your new hd tv. Try
s-video inputs, stand on your head, etc. I'm not against these efforts.

However hd sets are optimized for hd input so don't drive yourself too
crazy. If you must watch sd content take a small dose of Valium beforehand.
You won't get as worked up about the picture and you'll have an excuse for
it to look poor. When your wife looks walks in and says "why did you pay
$4000 for that new tv when the old tv had a picture that was better" you'll
be less inclined to pick a fight.

Later when you watch INHD2 show about the coral reefs of Australia you'll be
in seventh heaven. Those coral reefs are something else!

No, I'm not really suggesting drug abuse. But I think times are changing
and the future is coming (albeit slowly). Just hope, along with me, that
more and more hd content will be coming, and be happy when you can tell if
they're using Penn or Wilson tennis balls when the US Open is on.

!