The New Mac Mini is All About (HD) Movies...

Last response: in Home Theatre
January 21, 2005 11:23:56 PM

....downloaded via broadband internet, according to this writer. He thinks
that Steve Jobs' new Mac Mini computer is envisioned to be the hardware for
a new business scheme by Apple. The idea is that Apple will sell the Mac
Mini as a media computer under the Sony brand name. Then, we will use it to
download HDTV movies via broadband internet and play them on our TV's
through a DVI connection. All of this will be up and running with the idea
of becoming the standard way of getting DVD movies before either HD-DVD or
Blu-Ray has time to get a foothold. Pretty interesting.

Article at http://www.pbs.org/cringely/pulpit/pulpit20050120.html .

mack
austin

More about : mac mini movies

Anonymous
January 29, 2005 12:22:02 AM

Mack McKinnon <MckinnonRemoveThis@tvadmanDeleteThisAsWell.com> wrote:

> ...downloaded via broadband internet, according to this writer. He thinks
> that Steve Jobs' new Mac Mini computer is envisioned to be the hardware for
> a new business scheme by Apple. The idea is that Apple will sell the Mac
> Mini as a media computer under the Sony brand name. Then, we will use it to
> download HDTV movies via broadband internet and play them on our TV's
> through a DVI connection.

Or hook up a firewire el gato HDTV sat receiver. This will allow direct
display of the 1920x1080 signal on your (Apple 23") full resolution
monitor too. Currently in Europe, the Euro1080 broadcasts are not free
to air anymore, but the few previews I've seen (using a Dreambox as
receiver, playing the movies on a tft monitor via my computer) were
impressive to say the least. ElGato is stating that you need a G5 with
considerable processing power though.
ard
!