Hi there,

Not sure if this is the right forum, but here goes...

I'm trying to schedule routine backups on my 2 HP PCs to one ext. drive on
one of the PCs. The problem is this: When I schedule this using the XP Backup
Wizard, it prompts me for an account password. I do not have any passwords on
the computers, nor do I wish to have to create any. The tasks will not run
without a password entered.

It does not require one when I do the backup manually; Only when I try to
schedule it for later. I contacted HP, but they're telling me I need to
create an account with a password. I find that hard to believe.

Anybody have any other ideas on this? Thanks in advance.

--- Gary

GTifeld wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> Not sure if this is the right forum, but here goes...
>
> I'm trying to schedule routine backups on my 2 HP PCs to one
> ext. drive on one of the PCs. The problem is this: When I
> schedule this using the XP Backup Wizard, it prompts me for
> an account password. I do not have any passwords on the
> computers, nor do I wish to have to create any. The tasks
> will not run without a password entered.
>
> It does not require one when I do the backup manually; Only
> when I try to schedule it for later. I contacted HP, but
> they're telling me I need to create an account with a
> password. I find that hard to believe.
>
> Anybody have any other ideas on this? Thanks in advance.
>
> --- Gary

Go to this web site and download the registry fix on the left
hand side of line 67, Run Scheduled Tasks w/o PW :

For a more detailed explanation, go to this web site and scroll
down to Scheduled Tasks - Applying/Running tasks without a
password:

http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_s.htm

If you're serious about backing up the data on your PC, you
might want to consider using a 3rd party program. Windows
built-in backup utility is adequate at best.

Nepatsfan

Thank you so much for the tip. This did the trick.

And I hear what you're saying about Windows Backup. I completely agree with
you, but I did need to make this work. Thanks again.

Regards,

--- Gary

GTifeld wrote:
> Thank you so much for the tip. This did the trick.
>
> And I hear what you're saying about Windows Backup. I
> completely agree with you, but I did need to make this work.
> Thanks again.
>
> Regards,
>
> --- Gary

I'll say "You're welcome" on behalf of Kelly. She did all the
heavy lifting on that one.

Nepatsfan

Jimbo

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2004

HP is correct. For scheduled backups to work, you must be an Admin account
with a password and be logged on with that password to be able to schedule a
backup.