Passive Cooling for CPU's

G

I'm in the proces of planning / building an HTPC around a silverstone LC16M case. Does anyone have experience of passively cooling modern CPU's?
I was looking at the AMD 'EE' series and wondering if this is possible with a big heatsink / casefans only.
Any thoughts?

Yes, you can passively the AMD EE CPUs. People have been passively cooling the Athlon 64 X2 3800+ thru 4600+ for a few years now. You can find this info in the www.SilentPCReview.com forums. I've even seen some posts about a few brave souls who were passively cooling the X2 4800+; it's pretty rare though. Those people use massive heatsinks and the case must have good airflow.

The Silverstone LC16M seems to have fairly decent ventilation, but it is only about 6.7 inches tall or about 170mm. That's relatively short for a large heatsink. I use a Scythe Ninja to cool my E6600 and before socket AM2 hit the market, it was one of the most widely used heatsink to passively cool CPUs. Scythe Ninja (rev. B) is compatible with socket AM2 now, but it will be too big for your case. It measures about 150mm tall or about 5.9 inches. But it needs to sit on top of the CPU so the approximately 20mm clearance is definitely not enough.

The limited height also prevents you from using the Tuniq Tower which is also a very good heatsink to passively cool your CPU. It is slightly bigger than the Scythe Ninja.

A quick recommendation would probably be the ZEROtherm BTF95 CPU Cooler. I have not done any research on this product. However, this heatsink is quoted at 128mm or slightly taller than 5 inches. It is almost entirely made of copper and is a better heat conductor than aluminum. In my opinion this is probably your best bet, unless you do your own research.

ZEROtherm BTF95 CPU Cooler:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E16835887001

Its an energy efficient one. they have a tpd of 65watts and ran up to X2 4600+ i think. The Brisbane ones are based on .65nm now so the EE's do not have the advantage anymore as far as i know.

sorry i do not know of any passive coolers that fit well in that low of a case.

Zalman's 7000 and 7700 would work, but are not fanless. SilverStone also has there own NT01 cooler that may fit and if its close to the rear fans may do the trick.

A good low speed fan cooler may be best.

EDIT
jaguarskx beat me to it. i think it was the EE SF ones that are 35 tho?

Its an energy efficient one. they have a tpd of 65watts and ran up to X2 4600+ i think. The Brisbane ones are based on .65nm now so the EE's do not have the advantage anymore as far as i know.

Yeah, the EE series seems to be the Athlon shrunk down to 65nm. The X2 3800+ is rated at 35w TDP, anything faster is rated at 65w TDP. The older Athlons based on 90nm tech are rated at 89w TDP.

mpjesse

Splendid
AMD "EE" series? what is that?

EE = Energy Efficient series. Rated at 35W TDP and limited up to X2 3600+ or X2 3800+ (to the best of my knowledge).

They are kinda hard to find, then again I haven't looked. The 65W and 89W TDP versions can be found everywhere.

3600 is easy to find now.

billdcat4

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2006
AMD "EE" series? what is that?

EE = Energy Efficient series. Rated at 35W TDP and limited up to X2 3600+ or X2 3800+ (to the best of my knowledge).

They are kinda hard to find, then again I haven't looked. The 65W and 89W TDP versions can be found everywhere.

3600 is easy to find now.

Linkage?

reviews?

accord99

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2004
With the big heatsinks, passive cooling is possible even with highend processors. For example I can run a E6600 at 3GHz/stock voltage with a fanless Ninja and a single 900rpm 120mm case fan and still have about 15C of headroom left before throttling while running dual Prime95. Or I can run the E6600 at stock speeds but undervolt it to 1.1V and have around 30C of thermal headroom.

With the big heatsinks, passive cooling is possible even with highend processors. For example I can run a E6600 at 3GHz/stock voltage with a fanless Ninja and a single 900rpm 120mm case fan and still have about 15C of headroom left before throttling while running dual Prime95. Or I can run the E6600 at stock speeds but undervolt it to 1.1V and have around 30C of thermal headroom.

The Silverstone LC16M is only about 170. The Scythe Ninja is 150mm (as I stated in my first post), the 20mm clearance is definitely not enough.

there are lots of 65 tdp 90nm a64's they where hand picked cpus that would run @ stock speed with less voltage

that what the EE's are

A64 x2 4600+ EE 90mn 65 tdp

the EESFF's(though it was EE SF....but its not) where supposed to run cooler(i think thats where the 35watt 3800 came from). but to be honest a stock e4300 runs as cool.

my vote goes for a Brisbane CPU. with the cooler recommended above(the butterfly thing) if it fits.

billdcat4

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2006
there are lots of 65 tdp 90nm a64's they where hand picked cpus that would run @ stock speed with less voltage

that what the EE's are(with the exception to the 3800 @ 35)

A64 x2 4600+ EE 90mn 65 tdp

the EESFF's(though it was EE SF....but its not) where supposed to run cooler. but to be honest a stock e4300 runs as cool.

Can you buy a 35w 3800? How much does it cost?

@ mpjesse - nice find, i wonder how much power it will offer for HD and whatnot.

@jackluo923 - Yes. but the .65nm(they are both 65watt tdp) ones should run a little cooler

@ all - anyone else have a heat sink to recommend to Stuart72?

billdcat4

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2006
@ mpjesse - nice find, i wonder how much power it will offer for HD and whatnot.

@jackluo923 - Yes. but the .65nm(they are both 65watt tdp) ones should run a little cooler

@ all - anyone else have a heat sink to recommend to Stuart72?

The one issue that I see with Passive cooling is that it gets very very VERY hot. Just look at the XFX Fanless 7950GT series, they have been reported to go up to 115C! Thats hot enough to kill a moose at 400yards!

I just finished watching some videos online on my dads Inspiron 8600. I kept the laptop elevated the whole time, yet around half of the bottom surface of the laptop got INCREDIBLY hot. I dont mean hot as in "ow thats hot", I mean hot like the surface of the sun! And that PC is running a centrino Banias 725!

I have to get my dad a laptop cooling pad.... any good budget ideas? It would be fun to make one, throwing like 8 120mm fans into a bracket and powering it thru an AC adapter... but thats too smart for me. Im just looking for a way to stop getting burnt... for cheap

Opps. I thought all EE version of athlon62 x2 are 35TDP

how sweet would that be?

@ all - last cpus I passive cooled where celerons 466 :) and 800. The 466 was with a P133 passive heatsink and the 800 was with a Athlon XP 1800 stock heatsink with the fan off :)

But for a test i did run my current system with the fan off folding @ home. Did not get past 60(thank you 900, it went to 70 in my Sonata II)

m25

Distinguished
May 23, 2006
I'm in the proces of planning / building an HTPC around a silverstone LC16M case. Does anyone have experience of passively cooling modern CPU's?
I was looking at the AMD 'EE' series and wondering if this is possible with a big heatsink / casefans only.
Any thoughts?
I know socket 754 is kind of old tech, but according to thereviews, people have used this $60 Turion:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103521
to build very cool running HTPCs on sesktop boards. It's not a dual core, but @ 25W, is still the coolest 'desktop' chip you can find, and it's not the same to passively cool this and a 65W X2 3600+.

dobby

Distinguished
May 24, 2006
although a core 2 would be better, esp if you going to advance to HD in years to come, there are Passive cooler out there such as Coolermaster GeminII

HotFoot

Distinguished
May 26, 2004
Don't bother with the 3800+ EE (35W). I'd say get yourself a 3600+ and under-volt it to 1.0V. You shouldn't need to even underclock it to accomplish this voltage. :)

As far as passive cooling for a CPU, I've had a good experience with ThermalTake's SonicTower, which stands 155mm tall. You can fit a fan in it, which I've done to keep my PD820@3.36GHz cooler. Considering how much less power even a stock 3600+ chip will put out, a similar cooler will almost surely give you good cooling - provided you still have some case airflow.