The data area passed to a system call is too small

pat mcgroin

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2007
With out some sort of insight as to what system that you have, what driver you are trying to get, where you are trying to get it from, the exact error message, your favorite color. your dogs name etc... it is impossiblle to give any sort of helpful answer.

dreevax

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2009
how am i supposed to put information of the type you specified onto this webpage. i am not privy to internet or computer methods of communication. i thought there might be a standard answer to my problem which i am unable to find an answer for anywhere.

ftn1975

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2009
I hate to revive a thread when the OP made no effort to answer a basic question, but I am in the same boat.
Windows 7 x64
attempting to download drivers from ATI
get the following
"unable to download ....win7_64_dd_ccc_wdm_enu.exe from a248e.akamai.net. The data area passed to a system call is too small."

pat mcgroin

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2007
When you say that you are attempting to download, are you trying to save or run from the location?
Generally it is best to not run a installer from the internet.
Save it to somewhere like the desktop and give it a quick virus scan.
Then try to install it.

Another possiblity from what I see is that the header information may be too long and be causing the error.
Try to rename it to something esle before saving it and see if that helps in any way.

Also please post a link to the file that your are after and I will see if I can download it to determine if the trouble is with you, me, or the server.

We will find a way to get you that driver.

stormwalker

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2009
I have the same error as this. I am trying to isntall a printer driver. I am installing from a disk that i have used on this computer in the past and every other computer in the office to install this same printer.

The printer stopped printing and would not open properties to the printer. So I deleted the printer and was attempting to reinstall it when i recieved this error.

at_brown

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2009
I had the same problem.

1. Go here and download the orbit downloader: http://download.cnet.com/Orbit-Downloader/3000-2071_4-10600926.html

2. Let Orbit downloader* download it for you...when a connection is closed it automatically opens another until the whole thing is downloaded

*other download managers might work as well, this is just the one I've used.

I also renamed the file to something short like ATI_Driver.exe, though I tried renaming the file w/out using the downloader and it didn't solve anything.

Hope this helps!