Not booting right Compact Presario 6000

frankramiro

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2008
Hi guys;how're you all.Ok i need some help with this PC Compact Presario AMD Athlon ™ XP 1700+ 6000 with 40g hard drive,1.46G,256MB of Ram with option of one more 256Mb slot,windows service Pack2, since i'm an electronic student i checked it out and the only thing that was bad was the Fan in the power supply, i replaced it and started it and it goes as far as to the COMPACT LOGO and stops there and shows this on the screen, V02.00 <F10=Setup> when i push in power buttom on and off and on again a couple of times on the front switch it starts, also i don't have the recovery disk, any help would be apreciated.

Hanging at the Compaq logo can indicate a faulty or disconnected hard drive. Check all the connections on the drive. If you let the screen sit at that spot for a while... do you get any other messages?

frankramiro

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2008

Yes sir i get on the Compact Logo and V02.00 Setup F10

and when i press F10 i get black screen with V02.00 Set up and i press F10 and it goes no where, so i switch off and then on some times one time and some times 2 some times 3 and 4. and some times it starts right up at first time.

frankramiro

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2008

I also tried that but no avail i'm using the defaults, thanks in advance.

frankramiro

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2008

Thank you for the suggested software, but i do not deal with people that announces free stuff and in the end is not free at all i hate that, why don' t these guys just say that you pay this much and quit misleading people, besides there are no guaranties that it will do the job, thanks anyway.

^ the ultimate boot disc is free. You just have to download it. They operate on donations only. If you look around, it's highly regarded. The individual diagnostic tools that we all use to fix/optimize/diagnose our computers are included in this one download.

I haven't paid a penny for UBCD4WIN, and salvaged many machines with it.

The biggest cost involved is the Time it takes to create your bootdisk with what you want on it and there are numerous of completely free modules to add to, or remove from the disk creation program, to create your bootdisk.

You say the fan in the power supply was bad and you replaced it, but that could have damaged the P/S itself, have you swapped out a known good P/S to check that out, or ran the repaired P/S on a P/S tester to make sure it is OK and tested the line outputs for proper voltages?

frankramiro

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2008

The only thing that i did in the power supply was to take out the fan that was shorted and put in good one,if the voltages were not correct it would not work at all, and it does work as i stated,just hard to boot,when i have a know good power supply i will replace it,it's not a hurry because i have a other computer Laptop sony Vaio that i can use any time,i will use this one even with this problem till i can fix it, but i don't want to spend any money,just a thing to improve my Acknowledges.

frankramiro

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2008

hi (quotemsg) please tell me the procedures i should follow in that site so i can download that software without paying anything! thanks in advance.

That is surely a logical statement but unfortunately doesn't always hold true with power supplies.

Thats why I suggested swapping out a known good power supply, it can seem fine but fail under load, happens all the time.

frankramiro

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2008
Ok guys i was able to repair my Presario 6000, with the windows Xp Boot repair,after so much hair pulling, but never gave up ,things that i did, sorry can't explain better but i'm just trying to learn this difficult stuff, i downloaded for free the Win Boot CD and copied from the CD to 6 floppy diskettes,and then i put in #1 cd and powered up when i had the set up pressed F10 and all i had to do was to put in as upon request the diskette #2 -#6 and follow instructions, than i turned off PC and restarted and voila a clean start, i hope this can help people with Boot Problems,an :bounce: yway i want to appreciate to all that tried to help me thanks.

Corrupt Windows files would not explain the computer hanging at POST. That is what I understood from his original post. If the computer hangs at POST, that indicates a hardware issue, not a software one. Once POST completes, you'll either get "Insert boot disk" or "NT Loader is missing" or blue screen with "Unmountable boot volume". I have yet to see corrupt files cause a hang at POST.

frankramiro

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2008

You maybe right; i thought that i have solved the ussue with the winboot , but the same problem came back doing same exat thing,

frankramiro

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2008
Hi guys it's me again,i was able to get into the windows repair console but it asks me for the administrator password,is there anyway to get this administrator password,i also took this post from the Compact site about recovery console.

HP states there is a way to use Recovery Console but I have never tried it.

Opening Recovery Console
The following steps open a Recovery Console:
Do one of the following depending on whether you are using a CD or the recovery console on the hard drive:
If you have recovery console on the hard drive, turn on the computer and repeatedly press the F8 key after the first start up screen appears. Select Recovery Console using the arrow and Enter keys.
NOTE: If using a Recovery Tools CD, select Run Microsoft Recovery Console, and follow the onscreen instructions to open the recovery console.

If the Recovery Console option is not listed, select Return to OS Choices Menu to select Recovery Console.
If you are using a CD that contains a recovery console, turn on the computer and press the Esc key repeatedly to open a boot device screen. On the Boot device screen, select the drive that contains the CD. When the computer displays Press any key to Boot from CD, press the Enter key.
The computer starts from the CD-ROM and a black screen momentarily appears displaying Setup is inspecting your computer’s hardware configuration followed by a blue Windows Setup screen. Recovery Console continues to load the required files (see bottom of screen). When complete, the Windows XP Home Edition Screen displays.
On the Windows XP Setup screen there are three options. Press the R key to select To repair a Windows XP installation using Recovery Console.
The screen changes to a black screen displaying Which Windows installation would you like to log onto?
type the number next to C:\WINDOWS (the volume to be repaired) and press Enter.
An Administrator password window appears.
NOTE: If you are using the Recovery Console or Recovery Tools CD, the menu choice may be D:\WINDOWS or H:\WINDOWS.

If you have not established an Administrator password, don't type anything and press the Enter key.
If you have an Administrator password, enter the password and press Enter.

taken from :

HP article

http://tinyurl.com/ynzhjz