Nvidia crushes Ati in DX10 latest tests

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
June 3, 2007 11:07:44 PM

Nvidia crushes Ati in DX10 latest tests
http://www.legitreviews.com/article/507/1/
This was done with latest patches.
Not too good after all the hype how great the 2900 was GOING to be in DX10
June 3, 2007 11:09:17 PM

Not too surprising after seeing how 2900XT runs.
June 4, 2007 6:13:22 AM

Hehe...i remember some people said that we will see The True Power of HD2900XT in DirectX10. :p 
Related resources
June 4, 2007 6:13:29 AM

The graphics do look better, can't wait for the expansion to come out.
I think these benchmarks for DX10 games will be bouncing back and forth for quite some time. Eventually game developers (major ones anyway) will take into consideration that ATI cards have more stream processors but a lesser amount of ROPs (whatever that is) than nVidia and develop games with that in mind. Also nVidia and ATI will keep updating their drivers making sure they don't lag behind the competition.
Barring a major architectural flaw in a card we won't see a clear winner.
June 4, 2007 6:38:36 AM

Quote:
Eventually game developers (major ones anyway) will take into consideration that ATI cards have more stream processors but a lesser amount of ROPs (whatever that is) than nVidia and develop games with that in mind.

Forget it. Developers will write the shaders their artists want. The HLSL compiler from MS turns that into whatever is fastest. And then the drivers often apply their own optimization pass. Number of stream processors is meaningless. Except to ATI's driver team.

From anandtech per clock the r600 can beat the g80 up to 2.5x best case, but worst case the g80 has a 2x advantage. And the g80 has a clock speed advantage. ATI had better get their compiler up to snuff. And not allow it to slow down my load times too much!

I expect given that ATI has known what the r600 will be hardware wise for quite a few years that they've had a compiler team working on how get the most out of the architecture for a LONG time. If ATI can't take the lead within the next driver release or two nvidia has probably won this round. ATI will internally concede defeat and get their team focused on the chips. Actually they'll probably be focused on the next chips soon regardless so that it'll have drivers when it comes out :) 
June 4, 2007 11:02:26 AM

This looks bad on ATI but is far to little Dx10 to draw any conclusions. The sad truth is that the performance is poor on everything and the effects are not a big leap. COH already had great effects and good graphics.
After waiting since December for a dx10 release I'm not even going to bother reinstalling COH to replay it with slightly nicer lighting at half the frame rates.

As far as developers doing more to take advantage of the r600's strength that seems unlikely. I know squat about game development but logic dictates that you don't optimize you're game for the card with the smaller installed user base (unless ATI ponies up).

Even though I have a current nvidia card I'm still watching the market with the thought of upgrading one of my other computers for lan gaming. I really would like the opportunity to have one Intel/Nvidia machine and one DAMMIT rig. I can't buy an r600 with what we have seen so far. R600 at this point seems to be a place holder just like the 1800s were.
June 5, 2007 1:14:25 AM

Wow you're a vet now prozac!!!

(srry -havent been on for quite a while)
June 5, 2007 2:55:53 AM

I don't see anything that can't be done with DX9 in the DX10 screens. There is nothing new.

So why they didn't implement it with dx9?
I think they want to sell the DX10 stuff that's all...
June 5, 2007 3:09:33 AM

Quote:
As far as developers doing more to take advantage of the r600's strength that seems unlikely. I know squat about game development but logic dictates that you don't optimize you're game for the card with the smaller installed user base (unless ATI ponies up).

The r600 and its children will probably split the market pretty evenly with the g80 and its children eventually. So don't think devs won't care about it.

However you are right, they won't optimize for it because the dev will just write a big long intense shader and let the driver team at ati worry about optimizing it for their card.
June 5, 2007 11:20:54 AM

I don't doubt that ATI will still hold significant market share in the future. I just don't expect that r600 will ever have wide adoption. R600 had not even hit the road before we started hearing about r650. Even if r600 is selling well now it was six months after the competition and maybe not so many months ahead of it's replacement.
June 5, 2007 12:34:11 PM

You hit the nail on the head, NO1sFanboy. All the scores are poor even with uber expensive hardware. DX10 may have a long way to go before general acceptance.
!