Trouble with Core 2 6600 with 680i evga_Temp

Swany420

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2006
I built this rig a couple months ago and i have yet to understand the mind of my computer. lol.

i have the E6600 on the evga 680i mobo
wit the scythe infinity heatsink/fan.

suppose to be decent.. but i have been getting confused. my idle is around 44-48c at 2.4 ghz. it stays the same through 2.8 ghz because the voltages dont get to high on auto. But i have been reading and on the core 2's, a warm temperature is considered anything above 50 and anything above 60 is hot..

i dont know if my idle temp is bad but considering other peoples idle temps with this heatsink, mine sucks.

does anyone have any thoughts on this?

i have a coolmaster full tower case.. plenty of room, i am looking to buy some more fans for my case.. seeing is 1 more intake and 1 more exhaust will do the trick.

again does anyone have any sugestions on what they think. and should i be worried about this temperature?

Swany420

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2006
can someone please reply to this... i know there are a lot of other threads that say somewat the same thing.. but i need to here for myself if these temps are exeptable at idle!!!

pellegro

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2007
hey my e6700 idles at 55 with the stock HSF. I have pulled it off, redone the grease, reset it, like 4 times and its always over 50.

from reading others experiences, this should be my reading at full strain - not at idle.

so im going to try a new hsf, but otherwise, like you, i dont know what to do. ....

Intel should really provide better info on what types of temps are acceptable at idle and load, and why the heck should it be running so hot with no O/C and their fan?

Hopefully someone will reply to your thread as it will help me as well!

vpsaline

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2006
My hunch is that you are reading/comparing the wrong temps. You should be @~30Tcase/45-45 Tjunctions idle. So if your reading your Tjuncion temps thinking they are Tcase, that explains why you are 15c above normal.
(D) Tcase Idle should be ~ 1 to 15c higher than Ambient.

(E) Tjunction Idle should be ~ 15 to 30c higher than Ambient.

when you enter your Bios and check System Monitor, what temp is your cpu in there?

Swany420

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2006
my bios says 38c ... but this doesnt mean anything because the computer isnt even working hard in the bios... like when windows starts.. it could be hotter... and please keep in mind that i have the scythe infinity and the 48c idle isnt right and there has to be something wrong because it shouldnt be that high

pellegro

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2007
In BIOS, per System Monitor, with my E6700 using stock HSF, my temps are:

CPU: 50C
Board: 29C
MCP: 51C

So, if the "Board" reading is what you're calling tcase, then it probably is about 12 degrees higher than ambient (which I'm guessing is 65F/18C).
If CPU is what you're calling tjunction, then it appears to be running 5 degrees celsius too warm as its +21C vs. the Board reading. I guess if I will see a 2-3 degree drop after 200 hours using the AS5, then it will be closer to the 15 degree difference quoted by your source.

Both CPU fan and nForce fan are running at 100% (1700 RPM and 5900 RPM, respectively). If my CPU fan is set to autodetect, my CPU temp goes up to 55C.

I have SLI-Ready Memory enabled and set to CPUOC MAX. I'm using PC8500 DDR2, so the FSB is at 1066 and the MEM is running at 1066 as well (from FSB & Memory Config page). I guess thats techincally an overclock?

Seems hot, right?

vpsaline

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2006
my bios says 38c

In BIOS, per System Monitor, with my E6700 using stock HSF, my temps are:

CPU: 50C
Board: 29C
MCP: 51C

Ok 38 in the bios sounds fine. Mine usually says ~34, but once I enter Windows that number actually reads ~30-31 (4 less). That is probably because of something loosely called vdroop. My cpu voltage is 1.4625v in the bios, and becomes 1.44v idle in windows, which becomes 1.41v loaded in windows. *I also have a 680i mobo. What does nTune CPU temp tell you in windows?

pellegro only the cpu temp in the bios refers to the cpu "tcase" temperature. The others are motherboard temps. Try and get that CPU: temp bellow 40 if not more. That number of 50 is what intel rates your cpu as having a maximum of 60.1. It is probably still fine up to ~65. Can you download speedfan and take a screenshot of all it's readings and post it here? What is the temperature in your room?

pellegro

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2007
Heya - my room temp (is that same as ambient? I assumed so) is about 65F.

I don't have an OS loaded yet - just built this thing.

Have OS coming tomorrow, then a new HSF later in week.

Will post speedfan once I get the OS.

Thanks!

fate0n3

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2006
That is a little warm with that HSF on it. First off what case do you have and what is the ambient temp of the room the computer is in. Second off have you checked and double checked then triple checked to make sure the heat sink is properly installed and mounted and that all the mounts are in place and correctly?

scryer_360

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2007
I am running an E4300 at 2.4 gigahertz and it hits 44 to 48 degrees all the time. So long as you do not go over 60 when doing something you should be fine.

But for better advice: try lowering your voltages. Slowly back down on them, and make sure nothing is obstructing airflow.

Also, and this was my problem at first, most weird temperatures are due to an improperly seated fan. Re-seat your heatsink. And apply new thermal paste.

Swany420

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2006
Computer%20temps.bmp

Look At these temps please... they are not right.. random