Replacing a cheap, hot Compaq case...

clue69less

Splendid
Mar 2, 2006
I just felt the hard disks and they are HOT. I looked at the cheap HD coolers on newegg, but they just look TOO cheap. And the Compaq case is small, so there is no room to add fans in the right spots. So, for cooling hard drives is this the best case for the money? It has 2 x 120mm fans. I know Rosewill is cheap, but so am I.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811147033

Even though it's cheap, that Rosewill should be a big step up from your Compaq. Just prepare yourself for mediocre fit and finish and deal with it. I've built in $30 to $50 cases and had success with respect to configuration and cooling, but in the process learned to spring for a quality case like Lian Li, Thermaltake, etc.

elpresidente2075

Distinguished
May 29, 2006
Well, it may not be the best case for cooling HARD DISKS specifically, but with the combination of features and price, I'd say its a good deal. If I were in the market, I'd seriously consider that case.

For specific hard disk cooling this:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16811999152
hard drive cooler is a really good one. I have two in my system and keeps both of my 7200rpm drives at room temperature.

To be honest, even a cheap case like the one you're looking at (not too cheap even!) is better than what you have now. You have a vote of confidence from me for this product.

Noya

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2006
Thanks for the info.

This is for an old file sharing machine (XP Barton 2.16ghz, 768ram, 2 HDs, onboard everything) so a Lian Li would be overkill. Though I've had my eye on the PC-61 I think, w/4 x 80mm fans, removable mobo tray, aluminum build of course, etc.) for my other OC'd rig.

EDIT- That's the cheap hard disk coolers I was talking about. They actaully work? I just checked the clearance in the Compaq case and only one would fit. Also, the onboard heatsinks feel really hot. I never really turn this PC off except to reboot once a week or so, I think the case with the 2x120mm is my best bet as the fan should blow across the heatsinks. Maybe I'll grab the hard drives coolers while I'm at it since I'm sure they'll fit on them in this case.

elpresidente2075

Distinguished
May 29, 2006
Especially if you're gonna be using it as a headless server or something of that nature, you're gonna wanna put filters on any intake fans you have. But since it seems this computer is going to be hiding in the corner quietly, it should be fine.

Nice pick on the main rig too. It looks pretty schnazzy, as well as feature-filled.