On-board sound on modern boards

Squidmaster

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2002
I'm considering my options for the creation of a multipurpose system with gaming capacity that could double as a nice sound system / dvd playing platform in my one room living space. I don't really have the layout to get surround sound speakers in the conventional sense. If I buy a decent motherboard, am I going to be happy with the sound quality in a 2.1 setup or should I get a separate sound card?

Thanks!

Gh0stDrag0n

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2006
Onboard sound will suit your needs just fine. The quality of your speakers and the motherboard will be a big factor in the sound quality.

Squidmaster

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2002
Great. I expected that might be the case after as much time as has passed since I last purchased a sound card. Right now I'm looking at the ASUS P5B-Plus and MSI P965 Platinum boards. I'm guessing these are relatively comparable since both are made by reputable companies, have good reviews, and cost the same.

Would either work for me for this particular use. I'm also interested in front USB/firewire capability, and a microphone jack wouldn't hurt. Obviously a lot of this has to do with the case, but I recall not being able to connect my mic ports on my current board.

Squidmaster

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2002
I already have a case from my last purchase that will serve nicely. The trick is making certain everything is connectable.

... are your problems with MSI a company issue or a chipset issue? I notice the ASUS uses a different audio chipset than does the MSI.

Gh0stDrag0n

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2006
MSI motherboards IMO are not made as well as boards form ASUS or Gigabyte. It could be a chipset problem but I have had more quality issues with MSI than the others.

Gh0stDrag0n

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2006
i cant stand onboard sound there is a difference between it and a card by creative but it all depends on your speakers.

Dont touch MSI motherboards, trust me

If the OP was going for more than 2.1 I would recommend a sound card, he is better off spending the money on a good set of speakers with a 2.1 setup IMO.

chaddeus

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2007
2.1 setup. Just get a good speakers IMO. I am using a Creative Audigy Platinum for what.... 4 years? and the reason why I am using it is because of the Firewire.

Also, i can't hear the difference so i think its fine for me when playing at a reasonable volume.

For me, an onboard sound is ok. There are others of course who can hear the difference. I am lucky that I can't hear it and thus I don't need to extra money.

- Charles

2.1 setup. Just get a good speakers IMO. I am using a Creative Audigy Platinum for what.... 4 years? and the reason why I am using it is because of the Firewire.

Also, i can't hear the difference so i think its fine for me when playing at a reasonable volume.

For me, an onboard sound is ok. There are others of course who can hear the difference. I am lucky that I can't hear it and thus I don't need to extra money.

- Charles

true that i suppose, i can hear the difference, but i cant hear the difference between an audigy and an audigy 2 so.

shooter124

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2006
Not all soundcards are created equal. I remember when I upgraded from a diamond monster mx300 soundcard (top of the line maybe 6 years ago) to a computer with an audigy 2zs, difference was night and day. that could have been because I was using nice speakers though. If you get pair of nice 2.1 speakers you will probably notice the difference between onboard and sound card sound but unless you're anal or an audiophile it probably won't matter much.